I'm not sure, but this might help some of you football newbies out there

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheNiz, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

I guess the holidays are getting to me, so i am offering up some of my free time to try and answer any questions some of you younger guys might have regarding training for football or any aspect that pertains to the sport whether it be conditioning, dealing with coaches, picking positions, game prep, combines, difference between levels, etc.

I know some of ya'll on here don't like me, and honestly I couldn't give a rat's ass. I just figured with my experience I could possibly help someone enjoy my favorite sport a little more.

Quick background on me if ya'll didn't know: I've been playing ball since I can remember, my pops even had a tackling dummy and sled in our backyard my entire childhood. During HS I was starting inside linebacker for a 3 time state championship team. I had some offers from smaller schools and a few D1 schools, but I decided to try to walk on at OSU since my good family friend was taking a coaching postion there (and I grew up loving the buckeyes). I ended up being a 4 year walk-on with a national championship team. I was solely defensive side. My size made me a tweeny, so i floated from DB to OLD to ILB... hell, i even played nose occasionally :rofl:

That's it. Ask away. If not, that's cool.

If you want to PM me that's perfectly fine :)

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

practice squad?

3. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

:werd: 4 year blue-collar team

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

still a fun experience... wish I hadn't gone DIII, ruined my love of playing

5. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

i was asked the other day by a guy i played HS with whether I regretted going to a larger school and not playing. He went to a DIII school and started center. Both have their positives and negatives. I never got to step foot on the field outside of warm-ups on gameday, but he never ran through a tunnel with 108,000 screaming fans. I don't regret a second of it.

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

7. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

8. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

That's cool man, I love hearing stories like that. I was in a similar boat for hockey. Had a pretty good jr and sr year in high school, had a couple college and prep coaches calling. I probably could have walked on to UNH, but I couldn't bear the thought of maybe not making it and being relegated to intramural or club hockey (since there is no real practice squad for hockey). I ended up going to a D2/D3 school (there's no real D2 for hockey so we played a D3 sched) and played immediately. We never had more than 50-75 fans per game, but it was important to me to play and be able to contribute, so I'm glad I was able to do that. (We won't mention that I left the school for academic reasons after sophomore year and haven't played a competitive shift since. But hey, I still have two more years of NCAA eligibility!)

9. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

:cool:

i really think the only reason i graduated was because of the coaches making me attend study table and such. I was never dumb, mind you, I was just so bored in class that I wouldn't go.
    I've got some pretty funny stories from my years on the team. I've met with quite a few OTers who have laughed at me over a couple beers while I told them. I think my favorite is when we were playing UM at home in 2000. We had lost to them the year prior so everyone was pumped up for the game. I think we dressed the normal number, but had almost every other available player on the sideline. There was barely room for trainers. Well, I'm wearing my warm-ups and we're all standing in the tunnel about to come out. The place is insane, you can't hear from all the screaming and echoes. Apparently I lost my mind and start jumping up and down trying to pump up the guys around me. I ended up head butting Garey Barry, him with a helmet, me with not. Split my head wide open. I ran out of the tunnel, blood all over the side of my face went straight to the trainers table and sat down next to big Will Smith who was having his ankle tape rewrapped. He looked at me smiled and said, "You could have at least hit one of their guys."

10. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

Oh, and Allan Johnson was my strength coach for those year. Some of you might of heard him speak. He used to be the SC for the Orioles.

11. Alt+F4

That's awesome. Sometimes I wonder how I would have turned out different if I'd gone to a D1 school and at least given it a shot. My academic situation was due to boredom and a lack of concentration too. I'm a few months away from finally graduating (after going at night, I'm 26 now) and I'm rocking a 3.9. Stupid 5am hockey practices and my subsequent four hour naps!

12. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

My only past regret was wondering if I played at a smaller school would i have had the exposure to go to the next level. Then I realized there's no way I could have gone pro. I went to the combine in '04 and realized how very far behind I was. So, in the end I'm left with a few scars (not nearly as many as you hockey freaks:coold:) a piece of jewelry, and a bunch of close friends. In all it was worth it.
    What are you studying?

13. Alt+F4

Accounting :-|

I left Stonehill (the first college) and got my AS in computers. Been in IT for five years but I'm kinda sick of solving stupid people's problems. Start at a new company in three weeks in the finance dept. Oh, and still playing hockey whenever I can (which isn't often with a 3 month old)

14. Alt+F4

Actually, a question. With walk-ons, you don't get any athletic scholarships, right? Do they revisit your talent or anything yearly to see if you should?

15. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

:cool:

congrats on the kid!

16. trancezj

trancezj New Member

explain to me why I find football boreing. When people find out I dont' like football they freak. They assume being broly I love it.

17. Alt+F4

I've been athletic my entire life, but never really played or watched football. I can remember growing up and wondering why they just kept running into the big pile of guys in the middle of the field, it didn't make sense, haha. What changed it was playing fantasy football. I'm a complete fantasy psycho now, and I've won a couple grand in recent years. I watch every game that's televised and I can tell you the third string WR for San Francisco and why he might have a breakout week in four weeks. It's addictive, and since I've gotten into it I've learned a shitload more about the game and I wish I'd played it growing up.

18. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

We weren't given any athletic scholarships, correct. But, you could apply for outside donor scholarships through the university there were primarily for athletes. The only problem was they were usually based on need, and you were competing with all other sports teams in the university.
    As for evaluations, as you probably know each sports team is given a certain amount of scholarships to give out. I'm not sure the exact number becasue IIRC the number varies year to year. For every walk-on if you end the season without a set spot you are most likely going to have to compete for a place on the team all over again in the next year's tryouts. Basically, in my case, I had to re-walk-on every year. Trust me, nothing was guarunteed. That was my primary worry for the most part. Those players (not necessarily walk-ons) that were not on scholarship could be reevaluated mid-season. Scholarships were pretty much given on a year to year basis, i know of one or two circumstances where players lost their elgibility, thus losing their scholarship, and another player was awarded that scholarship at the beginning of the following quarter.We did have allowance changes from quarter to quarter that changed the amount of money we were given.
    But, as all of america knows by now, the better player you are the more boosters you have offering blondes, porsches, and yachts... so a scholarship isn't necessary. lol.

19. trancezj

trancezj New Member

that's cool. I respect the game, I just can't stand watching it

20. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

technically it is a boring sport if one is invested in it. :dunno:

it's typically the same plays run over and over again. Ilove football, but the NFL can be difficult to watch because every game doesn't have the rest of the season's outcome hanging in the balance as does college football.

some people (mostly fantasy players, but not you Alt ;)) live and die by their team, ironically they have never stepped foot on a field or had to strap on a cowboy collar. Those people are the ones expressing their "manhood" through the love of the game. If you look under their bed you'll find 7 prefectly groomed My Little Ponies.

21. trancezj

trancezj New Member

these are the fans that turn me off on it.

22. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

:werd:

the non-athletic people who obsess with fantasy football irk me, people like Alt+F4 though are fine. I don't mind watching the game with someone when they have something invested AND they can understand what the athleticism going on in each play. Nothing is worse than someone saying a player sucks when they themselves couldn't run block with a stunt coming.

23. TheNiz

TheNiz Guest

That's the side of fantasy football I can respect :hs:
    I have guys here at work that only know stats by what is posted on the internet. They've even admitted to not even watching the games. It's basically an acceptable form of D&D in the workplace for a lot of these guys. But, you work IT, so you probably have a good idea of whom I speak of :mamoru:

24. Alt+F4

Yeah, I hear you. Besides the guys I play fantasy with (college roommates who now live all over the country), there are very few people I can watch a game or talk football with. I HATE people who listen to sports radio then attempt to have a conversation about sports with me. My dad is like me, so i can talk sports with him for hours and I know he knows his shit. But I have other buddies who are fairweather sports fans, those who only put on their Patriots jerseys when they make the Super Bowl and wouldn't know a zone blitz from the zone diet. That shit drives me nuts, and for that reason I watch most games by myself or with my dad, including the super bowl.

The same goes with hockey...we have a minor league team here and it never fails that there's some bimbo sitting near me and my wife who needs every rule explained to them throughout the game.

25. ilduce

ilduce New Member

One of my friends had a similiar story. He never played football except a little when he was in 9th grade. He ended up going to Shippensburg for 2 years and then changed his major. So he ended up going to PSU and said I feel like playing football and walked on to PSU. His first year he didnt do too much and played scout team but after that he ended up being a monster on special teams. He started playing DE and then he was moved back to Safety and WR. He actually caught a TD pass last year in the Orange Bowl against FSU and was drafted by the Bengals in the 7th round after only 2 or 3 years playing football EVER. And he is still a beast on special teams. Look him up his name is Ethan Kilmer. Great athlete and an even greater person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.