GUN I'm no sniper lol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apman0000, Sep 12, 2009.

1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I took my .243 to the range today to sight in the scope.
    here's 2 shots of the final few rounds today.
    I'm no sniper that's for sure, but i haven't shot a rifle (asside from my .22lr at pretty short range) for a long time.

this was from 150 yards, yeah not a long way but hey i'm still learning :)

same target, 2 shots, 1 is more clear and i wanted to show i wasn't covering a hole with my finger lol, used the finger to give size reference, pretty scientific huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. What position were you shooting from? If prone/sitting, were you using front and rear bags? What ammo were you using? What type of trigger are you running? What kind of barrel do you have?

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

you aren't a photographer either

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

sitting, holding it with my hands, no bipod or sandbag or anything (used a block to rest the rifle barrel on while adjusting scope, then for these shots i held it free hand while sitting)

80 grain lead point winchester rounds

what ever trigger a old ass ithaca .243 came with

what ever barell an old ass ithaca .243 came with lol

yeah i suck, i don't know. i got the thing for under $100 with scope and sling :)

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

shitty cell phone pics, i've done better work lol

6. For what you've described the groups aren't that bad.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

be gentle i haven't really shot a rifle for over a decade, the .22lr's don't count cause that was like 40-50 yards indoors

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i wish i could have that one that was up and to the left back :(
    I've caught rifle fever now, probably gonna go thru .243 rounds like water for awhile lol

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Besides that one flier, you seem to have quite a bit of vertical dispersion.

What kind of ammo are you running? How is your breathing (you breaking consistently at the bottom of your respiratory cycle)?

Not bad..... If you are wanting technique pointers, you might consider checking out the Snipers Hide online training. It costs a little money, but I think it's a pretty damn good primer on rifle technique, and allows someone to at least know what they should/should not be doing, as well as providing some decent drills.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

for unsupported group shooting at 150 yards that's a lot better than I could do. Granted the NRA high power guys do this all day long. A regular guy without training, and without doing this stuff competitively is kind of questionable. Your claims are not in want2race territory so I'll refrain from strait up calling you out at this time.

How did you check the distances. Did you range it, eye ball it, or is it a known distance at a shooting range. A 150 yards is a long way to walk to set up paper.

Did you shoot completely unsupported of did you have your elbows down on the bench or something.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

shooting sitting you generally are supporting your arms on your knees...

Scoped sitting that's pretty good, but not really spectacular (not that I could do any better), and it's NOWHERE near w2r claims :rofl:

edit: wait, is this sitting at a bench, or sitting on the ground?

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i agree

14. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

You're a regular Lyudmila Pavlichenko.

15. johnson

johnson New Member

What range is that? I think all the MDoC ranges are limited to 100 yards.

I was at Parma Woods today shooting my DW Valor and CZ 75B SA and was getting fist sized groups at 15 yards.

I'm not spending any more money on ammo until I get some Rudy USA shooting glasses. I shoot 3-4 rounds and have to stop to clear the fog from these cheap safety glasses.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

my dad has an area measured off that he shoots on his property, it's pretty accurate give or take a yard (but i'm sure it's accurate, he had surveyors out there a year ago to set up his range)

i had my elbow on the table supporting my front arm.

i'm not trying to seem cool, hell i shot 2 rounds of clays before going back to my dads house and hit 12 out of 25 and 13 of 25 lol, so i'm definately not claiming to be a stud (if i was hunting some birds they'd be pretty safe cause i coulding hit shit yesterday :) ), hell i've seen people have 300 yard groups look better than this so i thought this sucked :)

I've openly said on here many times that i don't know shit and need the advice of wmd, i feel pretty confident with my pistol abilities and self defense capabilities but for clay shooting or rifle shooting i will make no claims to being capable of shit lol.

if my post seemed like braging let me make this clear, i am not trying to brag, this is the 1st time i've really shot a rifle in over a decade. i was happy with what i did for the 1st time out in a long time but i'm not trying to say i'm a stud, heck i named the thread "I'm no sniper lol". (plus if i was gonna lie to try to seem like a cool guy i would have said this shit was 300-500 yards out or something crazy :) )

and before anyone asks why i shoot at the bullethole and parma woods if my dad has his own range, he live about 3.5 hours away in missouri almost illinois and i live in the kansas city area on the other side of the state.

and if i posted the groupings my 70 year old father had with his 7mm you would have called me out straight up as a liar but then again my old man takes shooting much more seriously than i have and had plenty of training in the military (vietnam as an advisor before the troop escalation etc. )

i'm glad if i did well enough to almost be called a liar that means i must have done better than i thought, but i didn't think i've presented myself in a way that would give the indication that i would lie. i do appreciate and value the advice from this board due to the fact that i fully accept and understand that most of you have much more knowledge and experience with firearms than i do, and i haven't hidden that fact if you look thru my posts, so i'm not presenting myself as some sort of expert in any way.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'm probably gonna hit parma woods next weekend or the 1 after. i think they only go out 100 yards there but that's enough for me too. too many rules and stopages to go down range to switch targets etc. i hate stopping constantly and leaving the booth yada yada yada. oh well, at least it keeps things safe

18. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'm probably gonna check that out. i want to get better at this rifle shit. i had a damn blast out there and want to be able to go out 300 yards and do well but i know i can't yet.