I'm no expert of the legal system but someone should sue Christopher Paolini

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Jimeigh, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

here is how he came up with those stories:

"well golly gee i wonder what it would be like if the story of Star Wars took place in Middle-earth, except that i'd call it Alagaesia . Also, what if the Jedi were the Dragonriders of Pern instead. And what if i called the Sith the Foresworn. And what if instead of lightsabers they had glowing swords. What if also, the magic system works the same way as it did in Earthsea. yea... yea that would be sweet, and i'd call it the 'Inheritance Trilogy', except then i'd change my mind and make 4 books."

come on, now.

2. Jimeigh

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

4. Jimeigh

:rofl:

the books are unnecessarily long, the chapters irritatingly short, the second one was extremely slow-paced, and the author has no creativity. in fact he's a downright shameless thief. the only reason he was published is because his parents (both published authors, who homeschooled him) owned the publishing company (Paolini International LLC). and the only reason people continue to give half a shit, is because he's zomg so young to be an author.

5. Hiero

Hiero New Member

I was curious about this part of his story.:o

6. Joe_Cool

It would seem he read it and did not enjoy it. :uh:

7. Jimeigh

the books are unnecessarily long, the chapters irritatingly short, the second one was extremely slow-paced, and the author has no creativity. in fact he's a downright shameless thief.

8. mkashew

mkashew New Member

I liked his first two books lol but like Harry Potter I lost interest during the span it takes for the author to publish more.

9. cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime

This is the Eragon guy? Never read his stuff. :dunno:

10. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

Yeah, people give him way too much credit for what is basically plagarism, but then I feel that Terry Brooks did the same thing and people love him too so whatever. This analysis from tvtropes.org is pretty much spot-on:

The Inheritance Trilogy Cycle, written by Christopher Paolini, includes the books Eragon, Eldest, the not-yet-released Brisingr, and another one.

The novels feature the tale of a farmboy who discovers a Plot Coupon sent to a wise old mentor by a captured princess, and has his uncle who raised him killed by the impenetrably cowled servants of the Evil Empire. The two set off for revenge. The mentor is a former knight, who teaches the farmboy how to use his mystical powers in about five days and gives him a magical sword that belonged to his father before buying the farm. Luckily, the farmboy meets up with a Badass Anti Hero, rescues the princess, who is also a major player in the Rebel army, and joins the rebellion, becoming a key member before going to train with a half-mad old hermit in the forest. After this, he discovers that his father was the Emperor's right-hand man and he's been betrayed by his own family.

Somehow, people think this sounds familiar...well, except for the dragons.

11. Joe_Cool

Is it really THAT bad?

12. Jimeigh

it's worse.

the dragons and the dragonriders are straight out of The Dragonriders of Pern

13. Jimeigh

there are 4 key races. humans, elves, dwarves, and Urgals. much like in middle earth how there are humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs. humans can be good or bad. dwarves live in caves and are good craftsmen, and are good. elves are good but people dont see them often cos they're all willy-nilly in the wilderness and they have a reluctance to get involved with the war even though they're basically superior to all races in every way. and then there are the urgals, which are like giant two-legged rams, who serve as enemies in the same sense that orcs were enemies.

there are the dragonriders, basically the dragonriders from pern, but who, much like the jedi, were established for keeping peace. they had glowing swords and used magic, instead of having lightsabers and using the force. then one day some shit went down and some dragonriders went bad because they use a bad kind of magic - sort of like the dark side of the force, because the allure of this type of magic is that, while it isnt more powerful, the student can reap the benefits faster. these dudes are called the foresworn, and they use red glowing-swords. eragon got his father's glowing sword, from his teacher, who got killed before his training was complete. his father turns out to have been a member of the sith, i mean forsworn, and the right hand man to the evil emperor. instead of getting his hand cut off, Eragon gets a scar across his back, which like a scar from an inkvine whip from Dune, randomly causes pain.

the system of magic is that everything has a true-name, and that in knowing a thing's true name, you can control it. your true name is something that must be revealed to you, and knowing it, you must keep it secret or else someone could use it to control you... you know, the same exact way that it worked in Earthsea, except that in Earthsea, it was explained better.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  14. Joe_Cool

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't regret not reading it now.

15. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

I read the first book, and failed to see what all the fuss was about. It was yet another retread of things everyone has already seen many, many times in fantasy novels. I guess, if you're reading it because so many people are talking about it, and you don't normally read fantasy, you might find it fresh and exciting. But as a person who reads fantasy regularly, I just found it to be very derivative and undeserving of all the praise its gotten.

I've never seen the movie. After reading reviews that it wasn't nearly as good as the book, I decided to pass.

EDIT: and :rofl: at Jimeigh's analysis. Agree 100%.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  16. Jimeigh

he wasnt intending for the first book to be published, so i wonder if he was really just writing some fan-fiction and since his parents owned a publishing house it was all too easy for him to make some money off of it. and now that there's been a movie and whatnot, he's jerking himself off for the success of his violently unoriginal story. christonastick, i hate that guy.

17. cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime

:roflw: