Im new here...but not new to detailing and paint work

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by pl_silverado, Nov 10, 2007.

1. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Greg.

I recently detailed a couple cars out of boredom, 2 of which were my own, and one was a neighbors and realized that i missed doing this type of work. For the past few months i've been working in an office doing sales...god i hate it. Mobile detailing is not sounding too bad at the moment, as long as i can plan it correctly.

I have somewhat of a background.
    I've been working in a bodyshop since i was 12 years old, i've done every aspect of bodywork from structural repair to refinishing. I still do minor paint work on the side, but have recently decided to do more detailing. I know what a rotary can do to paint, and love 3m piII rubbing compound...especially the way a car looks after a fresh paint job, sanding, and buffing :drool:... so i know my way around a rotary.
    I expect to learn something new everyday, and i usually do. Up until a week ago i had no idea something like ONR exists...now i have a gallon on the way and some microfiber towels to try it out.

Lets see. The products i use are sort of limited at the moment. Off of the top of my head, heres a list of products currently in my detailing cabinet.

DW849 Rotary
    2 3M White Foam Compounding Pads
    2 3M Black Foam Polishing Pads
    3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound
    3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark
    3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Light
    3M Light Cut Compound
    3M Imperial Hand Glaze

Mothers 3 Phase, Cleaner, Sealant & Wax
    Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax
    Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Wax (worked wonders on faded trim)
    Meguiars Gold Class Interior Wipes
    Some Leather Wipes
    Snap-on Quick Mist Detailer
    DuPont Teflon Tire Shine
    DuPont Teflon Tire Cleaner

Thats all i can remember at the moment. As you can see, i currently use primarily 3M compounds and glazes...which is what im used to using in the shop. Im slowly starting to try out new products. ONR is on the way and i cant wait to try it.

I've been lurking and reading for a couple weeks now, here and over on autopia. i finally decided its time for an intro...so hi everyone :wavey: Oh and if i ask stupid questions, i apologize in advance. I still dont have all the abbreviations memorized that i saw in the sticky.

I'll try and find some pics of my work to post :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Welcome Greg! :wavey: Looking forward to checking out pics.

3. pl_silverado

My moms maxima, which was neglected for a couple months.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a 2000 and 160k miles.

4. pl_silverado

My old truck after driving 1200 miles in 24 hours

[​IMG]

and here's what i get to use if the rotary ever decides to bite my head off. (which has never happened... knock on wood)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

don't worry, that subbie will buff right out.

ok bleh i had to.

welcome, and glad you decided to drop by! oh and don't fear, we can be as big of dicks in here as in the MF. nothing personal, it's just OT. there is a ton of info at autopia. and pretty much all of the regular posters here do outstanding work. we use a plethora of products, but no one really pushes any specific brands (ie no Zaino nazis here) although most of us like the Optimum line. Scott really likes Clearkote products, as do I. He happens to have more experience with it than I. I have been using my Pinnacle Twins on the past couple of cars I did major correction. MrBonus likes some of the Chemical Guys line. Justin30513 uses many things, I think of late he is on Menzerna's line. Juztang is a provider, as is ExcelDetail (Patrick). Paulie, I can't remember what he is on right now but he's real big on rotary.

Oh and a pretty much general consensus here is that JEFFS Werkstatt Prime and Acrylic Jett looks amazing on silver. I think I've covered just about everything. If I left out some of our regular guys, I'm sorry. It's not intentional I promise! Maybe I should prep this post to make it a sticky, lol.

6. pl_silverado

Thanks for the welcome.

7. pl_silverado

I havn't seen many posts on here regarding 3M products...besides the 3MPI II Rubbing Compound...

what does everyone this of their light & dark pi II machine glaze

8. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

oh man, what happened to the suby?

9. pl_silverado

^^ some noob probably watched tokyo drift a few too many times.. :dunno:

I hauled it back for a friend who bought it. the maxima on the back is mine.

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: I mostly use Optimum and Meguiars 80 series products for polishing. The only 3M polish I regularly used was IHG.

You ought to give Optimum polishes a try. No dusting and if you have good rotary technique, Optimum Polish will finish out hologram free.

Based on those pictures, it looks like you do good work. Hope you frequent this forum often, especially with your paint knowledge. We do get a lot of questions about paint and body here. :)

11. pl_silverado

Im slowly reading up on all the different products. i already have a 3 page list of stuff to order to try. Optimum, Clearkote, and more Megs products are on the top of the list for now. I really like the way that lexus i beleive it was in teh got saran wrap thread came out with the Carnauba Moose... :drool:

Thanks for the kind words Scott, i do plan on participating in this forum, although i've just spent countless hours over on autopia reading. If anyone has any questions on paint work, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer.

Should i stick with the rotary, since i've been using it for ages, or is picking up a pc or cyclo not a bad idea?

12. Scottwax

A PC or Cyclo is handy to use on paint that doesn't need much correction, basically, paint that the time you might save using a rotary would be more than offset by the time it would take to tape the car off.

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

a PC or similar ROB can be useful for applying other products. I would much rather apply wax with my PC. I won't even consider doing a hand wax anymore. It's PC or OCW. That's the options.

14. pl_silverado

So what would you reccomend in addition to the rotary i already have?

PC, UDM, or Cyclo?

Im getting tired of applying wax by hand to trucks, so it would come in handy... i just can't buy all three at once ;)

15. Scottwax

If I was only going to buy one, I'd buy the UDM. More powerful than the PC and the Cyclo can be awkward on vehicles with really curvey body panels.

16. pl_silverado

I will probably pick up a UDM then next time i see a 20% coupon on autopia... i just noticed one expired the 5th.... damnit.

I most likely dont have any more details to do this month anyway, so im going to just stock up on supplies and try different products out on my cars.
    I have quite a list of products to order, let alone try out...its gonna be fun.

Thanks for the tip Scott.

-Greg

17. pl_silverado

Ok... so this week i have bought the following:

6 Meguiars Super Shine MF's
    50 All-Purpose MF's
    100 pack of shop rags.
    1 Gallon of ONR
    3 Grout Sponges
    2 MF Chenile Mits
    4 Cans of Meguiars # 16 (i recently found out its discontinued..i remember using it years ago, so i found 4 tins on autpoia and stocked up.)

more to come..slowly.

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: if that's your slowly, max at autogeek will love you!

edit: or whereever you order from

19. pl_silverado

^^

Haha.. The only thing on that list i ordered from autogeek was the ONR... but i sure have a long list to go so he probably will ;)

My local body supply guy loves me even more... in one trip to the store, i bought

-DW849 Rotary
    -3M PI II Compound
    -3M Dark Machine Glaze
    -3M Light Machine Glaze
    -2 3m gray foam polishing pads.
    -2 3m white foam polishing pads.
    -1000, 1500, 2000 grit sandpaper
    -a whole upol clear setup..and some more bodyshop supplies.

They also carry the whole Meguiars lineup :noes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  20. Scottwax

If you detail a lot of single stage paint jobs, Meguiars is your friend. #83 and #80 are my go to products on single stage paint.

21. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:noes: oh and if you order more that $75 from autogeek, use the code AGO at checkout for free shipping. i know i've saved at least $50 from that alone. We also have a couple of suppliers that are OTers. Juztang (I have ordered from him, great service. He gave me a sample of OPT Tire Dressing :coold: ) and Patrick at Excel Detail (I haven't ordered from him, but Scott gives him props and I think a couple of other guys do; he also gets a good bit of praise on autopia).

If you ever get into using Autoglym and can't find a decent source, let me know, the US importer is one of my supply shops here (D&M Supply, Nashville).

22. pl_silverado

Thanks for the tips :)

Im definitly going to try some Autoglym stuff, but im not sure what just yet. If i can't find it around here i will let you know. :bigthumb: