I'm looking to buy a new truck, need suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by xpinchx, Mar 26, 2005.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

We'll be doing a lot of home improvement projects around our new house over the summer and we'll be needing a truck to haul stuff around. My parents have both bought new cars in the past year or so, so it'll be my duty to get a truck. Since they'll be using it a lot they'll help me out a little bit. I'm hoping they'll be able to put a decent downpayment on it. After I start driving it I can sell my current car for probably $1,500-$2,000 to help buffer the first payments while I pick up more hours at my new job.

I'd like to keep the price around or under $5000 with a max of $6,000. I like the standard 1997 Ford F150s. I don't need extended cab/bed or anything. A Ford Ranger should also suit my needs just fine, although it's a little small for my tastes. Plus since they're slightly cheaper I could probably get a newer/nicer one.

Along with the Ranger, a Chevy S-10 would probably be fine, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. And although they're pricier, a Silverado 1500 would be really nice.

A few other Japanese options would be the Toyota Tacoma (pricey from what I've seen), and the Mazda B-series (fairly cheap.)

Since this is my first truck purchase, what are some things I should look for? Should I buy a used one from a dealer, or should I stick to private sellers? Can anyone vouch for reliability of the Japanese trucks? Any other suggestions that I haven't mentioned? Any reason why I should or shouldn't go with a certain make/model? Anything in particular I should stay away from?

Thanks for any help. :wavey:

2. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

Ever think about a Gen II Dakota??? V-8 power, a little bigger than the S-10 or Ranger, and they are pretty prob free.

3. strubbe

strubbe New Member

In for responses since I'm in the market as well... The pricing for trucks up north is pretty expensive from what I've seen. I can get the same truck down here in Orlando for a grand or two less than what I'd pay up north just because they're in higher demand up there due to the weather etc.

Just something to watch out for. :)