A&P I'm Looking for Dollhouse Miniaturists

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LisaYvette, May 30, 2009.

1. LisaYvette

LisaYvette New Member

I'm part of a rather obscure hobby- dollhouse miniatures. I'd link you to some things that show you what it involves, but I can't. It involves making quite detailed 1:12 scale models of the insides of houses (and sometimes the outsides). It can be historical, fantasy, modern, based on a happy memory, anything and everything you want. I make some miniatures of individual items (not whole rooms) to sell. I have to incomplete dollhouses and a few room boxes.

However, I feel very alone. I'm 23 and I have no miniaturist friends of my own age. I'm the youngest in the club in my city, other than a girl who is 18 and who has nothing else in common with me and barely talks to me. Is anyone else into it? Want to talk sometime?

Oh I've put it in the Art section because I consider it an artform. It involves almost all crafts, just... smaller.

2. johan

johan Active Member

3. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

My mother was really into miniatures when I was younger and I took a few classes for her (since they were really only for kids) and then taught her what I had learned. It was awkward being the only boy there but cool at the same time.

This was well over 20 years ago though.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I can't read this thread without thinking of that CSI miniaturist/serial killer.

5. LisaYvette

LisaYvette New Member

Classes here are definitely not for kids. (Well. Unless occasionally it's for children who are miniaturists, but that just means they get given simpler stuff).

Bonsai and Miniaturists aren't really the same thing, sorry. Sometimes they have miniature landscapes but dollhouse miniaturists do internal stuff, and make a lot of things.

6. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Post pictures of some of the stuff you've made.

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a little miniature camera or lens... Maybe a miniature tripod holding a huge 600mm lens and body, that would be something cool to put on your desk at work!

7. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

The stuff I learned was pretty basic but my mother took everything to the next level. She had huge Victorian houses with operating lights, outlets, carpet and furniture pieces that costs well over $100 each.