SRS I'm just another..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tehrealist, May 23, 2007.

1. tehrealist

tehrealist New Member

..naive 16 year old, and it has got to be the most frustrating thing I've ever gone through.
    No one will listen or take to heart anything I say or any decision I make, because what do I know? I'm only 16 years old.
    How do I deal with something like that?
    I'm like, half freaking out and it just feels like my life's going to crap, but I have a great life.
    Why can't I see that?

Sorry for rambling, I just figured one of you might listen like no one else in the real world will.
    I'm basically just frustrated...

2. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

you might want to be a little more descriptive of your actual problem

3. tehrealist

tehrealist New Member

That's the thing, I don't really know.
    It just seems like my friends and family and other people are drifting away from me and making bad decisions and whenever I try to help out or have anything to say, I'm just sort of shrugged off.
    I mean, a few people will listen to me, but the only person that takes it to heart is my girlfriend.
    It just feels like every decision I make is wrong and everybody's turning their backs on me.

sorry for not having individual examples, I don't feel it's in my liberty to express other people's problems on the internet to people they don't know, even if they don't find out about it.

I'm just venting about people not listening to anything I have to say I guess...

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

honestly dude i used to have this problem and u just surround urself with more open minded ppl ppl who actually care ppl who are willing to accept new ideas feel free to message me btw as i have lots of ideas as well

5. GFlem

GFlem New Member

You may also have to come to the hard conclusion that what you believe is right for the person may actually be an immature and incorrect viewpoint.

I definitely had problems recognizing this for my own ideas in high school. I was really egotistical; take a second out of your day and try to think of it without letting your own viewpoint cloud the picture. A certain amount of distance can be healthy - at the end of the day you're still your own person.

6. Leaden Grudge

Leaden Grudge OT Supporter

oh nobody listens to anybody elses advice. People already know what they're going to do about a situation. The best thing you can do is listen to their problems and give them support.

7. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

Really that happens to almost everyone,
    me you and a million other people
    all you gotta do is learn to deal, with choices they make are theirs and almost nothing you say will change that. They will lead their own life.
    You on the other hand, if you want people to listen to you, you have to make yourself heard and not be just another voice in the background.

8. Ickyarkman

Ickyarkman New Member

YES PPL!

9. tehrealist

tehrealist New Member

There are allot of really good suggestions here, and it's helped me allot in only a day...
    but I have no idea what you're trying to say. :dunno:
    Sorry.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Unsolicited advice is the same thing as criticizing.

If people haven't asked for your opinions or help, you offering it will usually come across as criticism and they will dismiss it by saying, "well you're only 16".

I also used to get pissed being the youngest of 5 anytime I'd try to help or offer advice, noone would listen to me because there were older and wiser voices in my family. That used to really burn my ass.....but it really made me look at the advice I was giving and how I was giving it.

I've learned it's better to not force my opinions on people or try to get them to change and do what I suggest. Instead I just try to provide perspective and if they take my advice great, if not great.

Also remember that just because someone rejects your advice it doesn't mean the advice is unsound.

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Not to trivialize your feelings or anything, but it's called "being 16 years old." Everyone does it or has already been there. It sucks, because you're growing up and want to take on more responsibility but your parents don't want to admit that you're getting more mature yet. Most other people think exactly what you say: "Just another punk 16 year old."

Wait a few years, graduate high school, and things will look a lot better. Only then, you have an entirely new set of problems to deal with.

12. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I think that some of the most influential things in your life are the people you surround yourself with when you're a teenager. I started going down the wrong path because I hung out with the wrong crowd between 14-16. I thought the people were cool, I thought they did wild and fun things, but it was the least productive period in my life and I did the worst things.

I remember the single defining moment that caused me to "wake up". It was only after I realized one day at age 16 when one buddy got a sheet of acid for his birthday and then went on to say it was the "best birthday present ever" that I gave a pause and realized this is not where I wanted to go. From that moment on I began divorcing myself from that crowd. It wasn't easy dropping all of my friends and then making new ones, but I did it, and my life has been better ever since. I look back at all of my old friends now and they are still worthless. That could have been me.

To the OP, I'm sure your situation isn't as dire as mine was but that doesn't change the point. The point is to choose who you surround yourself with carefully. Realize what is in YOUR best interests and don't settle for less. If these friends aren't caring about you, then make new ones.