I'm joining bike crew finally...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jdw, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Picked it up this morning - buddy drove it to his place and I picked it up from him after work.

96 CBR600F3
    9600 miles
    Pretty damn good shape. Few scratches on both sides but not a single crack in the plastics anywhere.

[​IMG]

Little big for a first bike? :o

2. laydback

laydback New Member

not at all.....

this is my first

[​IMG]

edit: 2008 cbr600rr :o

3. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

awesome bike. Love that color.

But be careful. Even though its old, its still FAST... Pretty borderline too much bike to start on..
    I started on a CBR600F2.. :emb:

4. jdw

jdw New Member

Yeah, I thought about finding a 250 Ninja but I know I'd outgrow that so fast - not to mention it'd probably be a bit small period considering I'm 6'4" 220...

But out of all the bikes I looked at, this is easily my favorite.

5. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Its not too much for a first bike. Remember that just because the throttle can be twisted all the way, doesn't mean you have to do it. Ease into it. That is a seriously fast bike and can get you into a lot of trouble.

Do you have all your gear?

6. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

cbr f3 krew ftw, i have a 98.

[​IMG]
    (now also has stick-on tank protector and not the cover, same signals you have, undertail kit with flush signals, and smaller mirrors.)

7. jdw

jdw New Member

No, I'm really not looking to rip into it quite yet.. Do wish the throttle wasn't quite as sensitive right now though but I'll get used to it.

Not yet on the gear... I'm riding more than I should be right now without it. It's going to rain the next few days so I'll start shopping tomorrow after work. Finding a good CE cert jacket at a reasonable price is step 1 for me.

But none the less. I went from being rather scared of it to my pants getting a little tight in a half hour of just riding around empty streets here.

8. laydback

laydback New Member

please dont ride anymore til your wearing at least jacket, helmet, gloves

9. jdw

jdw New Member

too late :o

Soon... Hopefully pick stuff up/out tomorrow.

And yes I knew bike crew was going to rape me for riding w/o gear...

10. 311disaster

311disaster New Member

nice bike, I was looking into getting that exact same color scheme cbr600 a couple years ago but never found one around here

only 9600 miles? :eek3: how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

11. jdw

jdw New Member

Yeah, it really is clean for a 12 year old CBR.
    Only paid $2500 for it which with the way the market is around here right now with used bikes - it was a steal. Only other private party seller I found with a 90s CBR600 was a 98 for $3700. Were 2 96 CBR600F3s in Minneapolis at a dealer for just shy of $5k.

12. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

We just don't want to to rape yourself is all. This is a powerful bike and you don't have much experience, chances of you going down are pretty high, and without gear, you are going to hurt yourself seriously. Please, stop riding till you have all your gear. I'm guessing that since you don't have gear that you haven't taken the MSF course yet? I know around here, you have to supply your own gear to take the class, and you aren't going to be able to take the riding test at the DMV without proper gear either. So no gear + powerful bike + very little experience = not good. Dress for the crash, not the ride, get your ass to the store.

13. jdw

jdw New Member

:o

I was at the store this evening... Probably wont' get the gear until next week unfortunately (if they have to order a tall jacket for me)

and nope, no MSF course either. Those are FULL and I likely won't get to do it until spring so I may end up going DMV license and doing MSF later..

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Awesome...congrats!

My first bike ever was a 1200cc monster that I still ride to this day. It was a cruiser and I love it!! So many people told me it was too much for a first bike but I've been riding for 5 years now and thankfully never been down.

15. Coottie

Dude....tell the instructor you have a new bike and really need to get in one...then ask him to call you if he has a cancellation.

You really should get into the MSF course ASAP. I can't say enough good things about that class....it's so very important to new riders it ought to be mandatory in all 50 states.

16. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I couldnt agree with you more. My cousin was talking about getting a bike, I told him to take the MSF course and see how it goes, He loved it, passed the course and got a bike. Its kinda expensive I paid $225, but worth every bit of it.

17. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Im not sure if other people are like me, but I really hate to see riders without gear. I don't care if its 120 degrees outside, im wearing gear and it would save my ass in a crash. So if a fellow rider wants respect for me, he has to respect his own life.

18. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

I had full gear long before buying mine, you're doing things backwards, man

19. Coottie

Yep, it was expensive when I took it also but man, it really helped me. I'm 5 years into riding and I can still hear my instructor's voice saying, "Look where you want to go."

20. Coottie

I don't. When I see someone without gear I just view it like someone that's smoking. I mean I see people smoking all the time and the links to cancer and smoking are VERY well documented, yet here they are puffing away. It's their life, if that's what they want to do, ok.

21. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

When I bought my scooter, I knew what color I was going to get, so I stopped and bought full gear on my way to the dealership, and then had to sit and stare at my gear while I waited a month for my new scooter to get shipped over from Italy. It was a Piaggio BV200, and yes, I wore full gear on it. It did 80 MPH, and even going down at 35 MPH, does it really matter what you came off of? It's sold now, and I have an 84 Honda Magna V65 now, and I dropped it less that 24 hours after I bought it, and I was damn glad I was wearing all my gear, or I wouldn't have come out as well as I did.

22. jdw

jdw New Member

It's only $50 here but like I say, PACKED... the courses through July were filled up right into spring.

I didn't even look at gear until after I bought the bike simply because I was buying private party and wasn't sure what bike I was going to be ending up with if I got a bike at all. I've been looking for a solid month and had this one fallen through I may not have gotten a bike at all.

23. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

my first bike is a suzuki bandit 1200 :naughty:. I have some pics up somewhere on here

24. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

congrats... welcome to bike crew

25. jdw

jdw New Member

took the real camera out quick before the rain showed up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really need to take some time to wash it here one of these days...