MIL I'm in the ARNG..Have a few questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by x deaD piXeL, Jan 31, 2006.

1. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

How hard is ARNG's boot camp? I know it's been said several times, but I need a detailed explanation on exactly what's the hard points of boot camp and how to work on them before deploying and what's fun.

My ARNG Drill Station RSP is stationed in Marseilles, IL. I'm a Private E-1 and drill is REALLY REALLY easy for me..but what about boot/basic? How much harder is it than drill? Do you get more sleep? Less sleep? Hell, sleep is what pisses me off the worst..we only get like 5 hours lol. Also, I LOVE D&C..do we have any of that in boot? Any hand to hand combat hands-on training?

Also, any other good MOS's to try?

Basically, I'm not a fighting kind of guy..so infantry wasn't my thing. I only scored a 71 on my ASVAB..but I guess it was good enough for what I needed to do. I had a bad record though so I could only be low security jobs such as a cook or infantry, so I choose cook. I'll be a cook for another year or too and after that I can change..any suggestions? I'm kinda a computer/business guy..but there doesn't seem to be many jobs for that sorta thing..

Also, what are the chances of a soldier such as myself going to War? Unlike other people, I actually don't want to go.

Also, explain a little on the fort in Oklahoma (forgot the name..maybe it's Fort Sill?) anything I should know about?

Thanks!

2. burton564

burton564 New Member

well there is no such thing as national guard basic training, you go to regular army basic training. And your rsb drill is a joke compared to basic training. TRADOC says that you must have 7 hours of sleep a night while in garrison, which you won't get. At knox our lights went off at 10 and came on at 5. So lights out was for 7 hours but you get stuck with fire guard and bullshit like that.
    Anything you could have ever wanted to know about basic has been posted in here already so just look for it. You'll get your fair share of D&C depending on your ds and how much they want that ribbon. I don't know shit about fort sill so i'll leave that alone. The army really doesn't use army cooks anymore, the majority is all contracted out, so your chances of getting deployed aren't that great.

3. c.a

c.a New Member

I'm not in the ARNG, but I'm from the fort sill area, and i can tell you that there is absolutely nothing around here. I don't know how much time you'll be spending there, but if its longer than a few days i would definately bring plenty of stuff to do in your freetime, cause the area offers nothing.

4. x deaD piXeL

I'll be there 9 weeks :)

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

don't worry about bringing much because you won't have much free time in basic and AIT

6. burton564

burton564 New Member

he'll be going to virginia for AIT, he isn't field artillery

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I am amazed that someone who is already in the Guard doesn't even know that active duty and guard basic training is the same thing. Or even the most basic things about... basic. :dunno:

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

yeah i thought thats what those reception battalions were all about. Unless he just enlisted.

9. pakman

pakman New Member

Change your MOS with the quickness. Cooks no longer serve a valuable role in the Army, at least on the deployment side. Hell, even active, field training is the only time cooks are utilized.

10. Fearan

Fearan Guest

7 hours of sleep while in garisson? Hell even the Canadian Army's sleep standard is tougher than that. :mamoru:

11. x deaD piXeL

Huh?

I know they are the same thing..I was just asking questions about the drill.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:ugh2:

13. x deaD piXeL

That doesn't not say that I do not know they aren't the same, I was just saying in general -- how hard is the boot camp for the Army National Guard.

14. smokie700

There is no National guard bootcamp. If your National Guard YOU GO TO ARMY BASIC AND AIT.

15. x deaD piXeL

Smokie700, please learn how to read. :)

I KNOW that. I'm not asking for it to be compared to anything, I just want to know how hard it is in general.

Thanks,
    Michael

16. pakman

pakman New Member

No, dumbass, you learn how to read. You asked how hard was ARNG boot camp, implying that there is a bootcamp specifically for the ARNG. Don't go off spouting that people can't read when you're the one that doesn't know how to properly ask a question.

17. smokie700

pakman FTW.

Dude basic is only as hard as you make it. the guy next to you could be Army reserve and the other guy could be active Duty. So with this newfound knowledge you have just acquired, go research Army basic.

P.S. Judging from this thread, You will hate every fucking minute of basic. You will be that guy that basic training stories are about (not the good stories).

18. x deaD piXeL

Nah at drill I'm the guy that never gets in trouble

Also saying ARNG boot camp does NOT imply there is a boot camp for ARNG. I'm in the National Guard, that's why I said "ARNG's Bootcamp". Maybe it would imply that for the idiots who jump right in without knowing anything, but that definately isn't me.

Also, I have researched but havn't found any actual good information. That's why I posted here.

I posted here in ON TOPIC so I could get a response, and people don't even help they just post saying stuff I already know because they think I don't know it.

If you don't want to help, don't post here. It's not that fucking hard.

Also -- to those nice people who can post actual helpful information, is there any good hand-to-hand combat training in basic? Is there alot of it or not?

Thanks,
    Michael

19. x deaD piXeL

Nah that's cool - I am interested in that anyway since I need to learn some shit.

20. x deaD piXeL

Nah just wanna learn how to fight better in case I need it. I've never had to fight before so I need experience in case I ever need it. I'm the typical lover not figher, but you never know. ;)

21. smokie700

this sums up hand to hand in basic, it will teach you enough to not get you butt kicked to bad. If you want to learn actual fighting moves then definately take up classes outside of the military.

22. x deaD piXeL

Thinking about taking some good fighting class, just for fun.