MIL I'm in a clusterfuck w/ recruiting...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoCaLlove, May 3, 2006.

1. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

To make a long story short, I got in a fight in Feb. Cited/released for misd. battery, later reduced to disturbing the peace. $500 fine, anger management, and 1 yr probation (reduced from 3). I know I'm put myself in this situation, I don't need a pep talk. I need advice.

Recruiters said that I would still be able to go to boot in June. All they have to do is get a waiver and I'm good to go. Today I get a call from my recruiter. Turns out the officer in charge "accidently" dropped me from the DEP w/ out consulting the gunny of my recruit station.

So now, I'm gunna have to go back to MEPS and do the process all over again (excluding the physical) to get back in DEP. Also, that I need to go back to court to ask a judge to get me off probabtion. Cause now that I've been dropped from DEP, I can't get a waiver. And my ship date has been pushed to July.

Advice? What should I do from here on out? I'm pissed. I told the recruiter I understand. However, still being a civilian is the only bargining chip I have and hey this is my future career here and if I'm gunna continue you need to get me infantry. I'm sure he will.

All that aside. What should I do? Should I go to another recruit station?

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

why did the officer drop you

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I think that question was already answered. :hsugh:

You already answered that question too... :hsugh:

Are you joining the Army? If so, all you have to do is ask to get Infantry (and a nice bonus as well).

It won't do you any good. You are already in the system. Your court records will follow you wherever you go. It sounds like the recruiter is willing to work with you, but he just needs for you to do a couple of things first. Go to court. The judge will most likely jump at the chance to help you turn your life around. Especially if this was your first offense.

4. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

*sighs* I guess I did answer my questions for myself. eh, Ranger. hehe :hsd:

Guess, I'm just frustrated cause I thought it was taken care of and then this happens.

5. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Yah, it said it in my first response. I guess the officer didn't bother talking to the gunny that it was taken care of so he must've decided to drop me on his own.

6. Ranger-AO

I know how you feel. It took me several months to work my way through the recruiter/meps maze. Hang in there. Before you know it you'll be getting smoked by some crazy Drill Sgt and sleeping on top of your covers for a few weeks. :noes:

edit: just realized you're going into the Marines. Disregard what I said about Infantry. No bonus for you. :hs:

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

eh,so the doctor has to check out your asshole again... big deal. Bend over and smile.

8. Ranger-AO

He's lucky he isn't 40 or older. :mamoru:

9. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Yeah, no bonus for me! :mamoru: I know, I know. Take my licks and just keep on going. I'm still in it.

10. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Just got to do the questionare crap. Not the physical :moon:

11. kidhero

no, not really. you just said he "accidently" dropped you. for all i know, you might have done something else for him to drop you.

12. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Thats what my recruiter told me. Was that he saw I was on probation and took me off the DEP w/out consulting the gunny first to see if I was given an all clear to go to boot.

You were a recruiter before, right kidhero? Have you seen situations like mine before? Also, there's one infantry slot open but that is for active duty. I'm going reserve. How/what are the chances my recruiter can get that for me?

13. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

why go infantry if you wanna be reserve ??? defeats the whole purpose if you ask me ... :hsugh:

14. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Hey SoCaLlove, I can't help you get out of probation, but I can tell you this: If you get the judge/prosecutor/district attorney to drop the probation or end it early, the court record entry that is made CANNOT say anything about it being a release to join the military. If it does, you are INELIGIBLE to enlist until the date that the probation would have originally ended. If the court record says simply that they're releasing you, you can enlist the following day.

If your recruiter didn't mention this, he should have, because it comes straight from the MPPM (Marine Corps Personnel Procurement Manual -- your recruiter will know how to look it up, so be sure to mention it)

For the record (if you didn't see the other thread I posted in), I am a SSgt currently on recruiting duty. I'm not a recruiting god, but I am a rules/regulations guru. If I say it, you can take my word for it.

15. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

^^Thanks Kazzander! Yes, my recruiter did mention what you just stated above. Do you know how I'd go about asking a Judge to release me from probation and making sure the court record will not say, "released to join the military."

And if I have any other questions in the future, may I pm you? thanks.

16. Kazzander

Well, all you really have to do is just get a chance to speak to the judge directly. Once he has agreed to release you, but before the entry has been made, simply explain to him why the entry can't mention the military. In my experience, judges and DA's are pretty willing to cooperate/help out with individuals that are in trouble if they know that person is intending to enter the military. It just can't say that in an early release entry!

17. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Thanks again, Ssgt. Kazzander. I'm gunna have to make a few phone calls to see how I'd go about speaking w/ a judge. My guess is it will have to be formal, in a court room.

Also, I mentioned early about my mos being infantry. Why are there so many limited slots. What are the chances my recruiter will be able to get me infantry? I wanna make sure I get what I want. I figured if I like it enough I can switch to active duty.

18. kidhero

did you sign for any MOS prior to you being dropped?

19. Kazzander

The reason that there are so few slots open for reserve jobs is that there is a definite number of people who work at a reserve station. A typical reserve station employs about 25-25 people. There will usually only be 1-3 of them at a time that are getting out or moving on, hence the limited availability of openings.

20. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

I see. How hard would it be for my recruiter to get me infantry? To answer kidhero's question, yes, I was signed up for 1812 tank crewman. The gunny had to pull some strings to get me that mos. I appreciate it. I do like tanks, I think it'd be a fun job. But I still want 0311.

The reason why I ask of the difficulty is last time I checked the only 0311 slots open were located in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Are they able to negotiate?

21. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

You just needed to get it all out and write out to organize your thoughts. Nothing wrong with that.

22. kidhero

if there are no reserve bases within 100 miles of you that's an infantry unit then, unfortunately, no.

is there a tank unit nearby?

23. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Yup, 4th tank battalion located at the Navy/Marine Reserve Miramar base. About 20mins away from me. Like I said. I like tanks and I guess I won't be too bent outta shape.... I'm not sure if the infantry reserve is stationed at camp pendelton. I'm heavliy considering going active though. We'll see.

24. kidhero

there's a reserve infantry at pendleton. if you're dead set on being 03, that's the only place you can get to.

1. go to court and talk to the judge in clearing the probation

2. go to MEPS and redo the dog and pony show if they insist

3. sign the contract for the 03

25. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Everybody who giving me there 02 cents I appreciate it. You're a former recruiter too, right kidhero? thanks bro. 03 is what I'm dead set on. so we'll see what happens. thanks.