I'm importing a JDM motor... question though

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RuskeR, Sep 2, 2003.

1. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I posted this in the main forum but figured I'd get a better responce here..

Just some background info about my situation. My girlfriends parents import tracors from Japan. Their going to allow us to ship over a JDM clip for her MR2. We know someone over in Japan who will buy a 95-98 MR2 ( Gen III 3sgte motor ) at an auction and then have it sent over. Problem is can we legally send a WHOLE car over? Or will we need him to cut the car in half? If possible we'd obviously like to have the car come whole rather than just the rear half. We figure we would be able to make a little extra money off of the extra parts from the car that we didn't need.

I've heard different stories on what you can and cannot do. I've heard you can't ship a whole car over, period. Then I've heard you can but it needs to be cut in half. I've also been told you have a set amount of time until the car must be destroyed.

This is something I'm trying to find out as soon as possible because we want to get it on the next container if possible. If this turns out to work out fairly easy we'll end up bringing over another clip or two.

2. Elex

Elex Guest

i think you can bring over the whole car but you have to tell customs its for parts only otherwise you are gonna wind up with a bunch of different fees n such, you would be better off just taking out the interior and taking a plasma cutter to the rear end and shipping it.

3. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

yea this pretty much hit it right on the head,and if u can DO NOT HAVE THEM CUT THE CAR IN HALF!!!u WILL need the harness off the JDM mr2 unless u already have a turbo mr2 and are just swapping in the jdm motor.if its the NA mr2,the jdm harness will make ur life a hell of a lot easier