SRS I'm having surgery tomorrow...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FunkyMunniez, Jul 17, 2008.

1. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

And I'm nervous as hell. It's a shoulder operation...all the tendons, ligaments, etc are loose and there might be torn cartiladge.

If this goes wrong and I lose too much range of motion, I won't be able to pursue the career I want.:wtc:

2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:hug: good luck.. i know how the night before surgery feels :hs:

3. FunkyMunniez

Thanks. I know I'm over reacting to it, but I just keep thinking, what if what if what if something goes wrong and I lose range too much range of motion. I want to be a career fire fighter one day and that would be impossible without full function of my arm. What's worse is it would be a lifestyle change because the operation is on my right arm and I'm right handed :(

4. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

I just had knee surgery last week and tried to act like the surgery wasn't happening.

Worked pretty well. Just woke up, got dressed and stayed stoic and retarded. I did cry a bit when nobody was looking though. :wtc:

Buut I know what you're dealing with. Nobody knee what was wrong with my knee and the surgery didn't do much, just removed floating cartilage. Still doesn't explain why it was insanely hard to walk at times.

I'm just praying that physical therapy will heal things. It all you really can do ya know. :hug:

5. FunkyMunniez

Thanks....I just got home and my arm is completely useless right now....the doc said that there was more damage then he expected and we're going to have to see how things are over the next ten days. I'm scared:wtc:

6. Ivan

Ivan New Member

If they sent you home surely it can't be that bad, right? You'll probably be okay.
    I know it's hard... But you can only wait now, try not to think too much about it.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Bear in mind that the doctor is in a position where it is better for him to be pestimistic at this stage then optimistic.

Think about it like this.
    He sends you home and tells you what he told you.
    You sit tight for 10 days, you are gentle as all out, you go back to his office, he x-rays you and says, 'Excellent prognosis. In 6 months you will be playing tennis.'.

This presents zero problems for the doctor. I mean, you aren't going to get pissy over that.

But - if the doctor said to you, 'Hey your surgery went well, you will be playing tennis in 6 months' before he sent you home and then 10 days later said to you, 'ummm I need to backtrack. Looks to me like you might have problems with the full range of motion...' you are liable to freak the hell out.

So the doctor is in a situation where he is better off being just a bit pessimistic.
    With the threat of malpractice and such over every doctors shoulders I really can't blame them from being this way.

Sit tight, enjoy the pain pills, find someone to be at your beck and call.
    In 10 days you will get a much more straight up answer then what you got straight out of surgery.

8. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

My Dr was way optimistic.

He told me I'd be fine to walk after the surgery and nearly 2 weeks later I'm still on crutches. :rolleyes:

But your physical therapy is going to be the most important part of everything now. Find a good one, and don't scream at him when he makes you do shit that hurts.

9. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

if you have a good doctor and get rehab afterwards, you should be fine.
    people have full shoulder replacements and what not and can gain full ROM back after weeks of therapy.

physical therapy is crucial on the shoulder i must say though :o it's tough, but listen to your therapist and you should be good

10. FunkyMunniez

thanks everyone:hug::hs:

11. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I had my labrum reattached (75% dettachment) along with a slap lesion (50% of depth) on my rotator cuff repaired and the best thing you can do is follow the prescriptive rehab to the dot. Follow through on your rehab with a PT and do everything they direct you to.

I wasn't supposed to able to snatch ever again and now I can do about 100 kilos and keep getting stronger. I had my surgery about two years ago and for about a year I couldn't do shit. But, all the hard work paid off. The first six months will suck, but after that it gets much better.

12. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

So how did it go? Hope it wasn't as nerve wracking as you expected :x:

13. FunkyMunniez

The doc said there was a lot more damage than he thought so it took longer to fix than he expected. Beyond that, I can't really give many details...I'm cooped up in bed trying to relax and stretching out my shoulder as much as I can...I go back next week and that's when I find out everything:hs:

14. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

doctors and surgeons say that on purpose to make you more optimistic and encouraged to get it better. i had an acl reconstruction back in november and my surgeon fed me all those lines too. i was off my crutches and walking 2 full weeks before he thought i would. physical therapy IS going to hurt, im not gonna bullshit you. i came home from it some days and puked because it hurt so bad. that was also in part to the fact i wasnt taking alot of my pills, just so i could eval and see how much better i was getting by myself, without the help of pain meds. but the therapy, aside from the pain, will help you tremendously,not just physically, but mentally also. it makes you feel better about yourself seeing how much more you can do everday after therapy. thats about all i have though. dont get down on yourself when you start using the arm again just because you cant do a whole lot with it, keep pushing yourself and it will come back.

15. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Hope your healing goes quickly!! Only thing I can tell you is to do all those exercises that pt gives you to do at home. When I had knee surgery I didn't do them and getting back to normal took for.ev.er. Next time I had surgery I did all the at home exercises and I did a lot better.

Good luck!!