im having serious issues. is the 350w ps too small and causing probs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Feb 13, 2004.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i am having problems, crazy problems. :wtc:

first off, is a 350w ps enough for:
    *60gb hd (primary)
    *120gb hd (secondary)
    *dvd
    *cdrw
    *floppy

*4x 4 LED 60mm fans
    *1x 60mm fan
    *2x 13" cold cathode

*wireless g LAN
    *ati radeon 9600 pro

*soyo dragon kt400 mobo
    *athlon xp 2600
    *512mb ram

im running xp. i can boot all the way to where the screen goes light blue to bring up the logon screen. some times it freezes on the blue, some times on the longon box, sometimes before it loads my wallpaper, some times after it loads my antivirus. sometimes after it loads everything. sometimes i get an error message that says that the vpu detected or had an error and the computer has switched to software rendering. i have the latest drivers for the video card.

*the bsod is blamed on 'ati2dvag.'
    *ive had this error on a computer before , everything different (including a different ati card, and my windows install) but the ram and the optical drives.

the only thing that i can imagine is the ram, because i think i had enough power in the other box.

the most recent time i booted, about an hour ago, i swear i tried booting nearly 20 times, getting a bsod every time but one, and that was a vpu crash. so, i took the side off, took out the video card, blew it off, blew out the agp. took out the ram, blew that off, and switched which stick was in 0 and which in 1. uplugged a fan and turned of the cathodes, and it booted. thats why i think it might be the powersupply.

please, please, any help would be impossibly fantastic. this problem has been going on for -several- months, and im just about to start pitching componets against a brickwall to watch pieces fly
    :rant2:

reply, pm me, ask for my aol name, anything :sadwavey:

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

should be more than fine on the PS, I have a similar setup and I am not even using 2/3 of the power.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

From my experiance, it's not the overall wattage, but how much power is on what voltages that determine if a PS would work with a system. if you have a cheap generic PS, then most of the wattage is on the 12v and there's very little on the 5v and 2.5v.

For example, My altec 450w PS has much more power along the smaller voltages than my generic TCWO brand 550watt.

But from what you'r running, you shouldn't have any real problems unless it's a cheap generic one.

4. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

might i suggest your proc is over heating, your mobo might have a "proc is to warm shutdown now" thing or mabey your proc is just locking up, however it doesnt sound like a power supply problem, check your proc make sure its properly cooled off, if its not that, then its winblows just being stupid.

lets also keep in mind that ati drivers are not the greatest and love to crash.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

its set at the recommended settings. its running at 110 right now, case is 83. im really really tired of it doing this. is there anything at all i can fix/do/change?

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

start eliminating hardware. pull as much as out as possible and start plugging it in one peace at a time