I'm having problems with my Norton Antivirus 2003...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by acura-legend.com, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I try to do "Liveupdate" and it gives me this message

"Initializing...
    Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
    Unable to connect to host
    LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider. Verify your dial-up information is correct.
    LiveUpdate session is complete."

I think my computer has a virus that isn't allowing me to check my Outlook email.

Dial-up information? I have Bellsouth Fast Access DSL

I've looked for a place to change "dial-up information" when I open Norton Antivirus 2003, but I don't see it.

Can anyone help me? Thank you

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Do you have a router that may be blocking your accessing of the LiveUpdate site?

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If you can get to norton's website, just grab the newest full version of their virus definations and load the file by double clicking on it, then run a full scan and see what you get.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Or grab McAfee and never have a problem again. :p

Just kidding... I had major downs with Norton. I used to be a religous user of Norton a long time ago, but I was just having way too many problems. I gave it up on Norton a couple years back when it wouldn't let me load windows at one time.

I used to get into arguments with my friend about McAfee VS Norton. I gave up when he told me that he loves Norton so much, that it wouldn't even work on an NTFS partition. :p

ohwells, my two cents though.
    I'm sure many of you had problems with McAfee and went to Norton (always hear that. :p )

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Norton and McAfee are both bloated troublesome programs. I can't tell you how many times I've see McAfee do similar crap like spending 20 min on dialup downloading updates only to tell me that its already up to date while it reports definition dates over a year old. :rolleyes:

Do you have a software firewall installed? It might be blocking the liveupdate program. Or it just might be fucked. Uninstall Norton and liveupdate. Then delete their program folders manually and reinstall.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I've always used Norton Corp (even at home) and never had an issue. I've never had issues with McAfee or any of the other ones.

Make sure if you have a firewall (hardware or software) that it isn't blocking access. I have a feeling thats what the problem is.