SRS I'm having problems deciding what to do in my life. (Major/Career/etc.)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Axespeed, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

I'm going to be an undergraduate freshman in college soon. I was deciding to major in Medicine but recently I had a conversation with someone and he kind of made me rethink my situation. He noticed I'm very thought oriented towards technology and renewable energies. I talked to him about the future of our planet and how we can engineer ways to do this and that and basically he said I should consider going into the field of engineering. Now, as much as I'm fascinated by the field of medicine, when I look at the perspective of what I want to work with or on, I think maybe it's more interesting to conduct research and work with concepts to build things or design new things/improvements than actually work on people. The thing that's causing me conflict is that I also want to be able to live comfortably and enjoy the luxuries in life a doctor's salary can afford.
    This is my problem, it seems like many people go through this but also many people I know are already on track. I want to be one of the latter.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

You never said you wanted to help out people. You did mention that you want the money. That's telling.

We don't have premed here in Canada, it's a bit of a stupid thing IMO. Doctors up here are biology, chemistry, etc.. majors (Or any major really if you met the science requirements as there are a lot of history and philosophy majors in medicine). If premed doesn't increase your chances of getting into med school then take another major.

I also think you don't know what you want and picking a path for an indeterminate future as if it's certain is foolish. You are 18. In the next 4 years you will be a completely different person and if you aren't then you did something wrong. It sounds to me like you could do environmental science and be happy right now. Or take engineering and get a masters in environmental science.

3. Axespeed

Well, I do want to help people. I failed to mention it because I figured it was a given. Either way I will be helping people, I just don't know If I should help them directly or indirectly. The problem with being a different person in 4 years is that with medicine, you're kind of locked in. I kind of need to choose my path right now, or at least I feel that way. You're right about the future being uncertain but I just want something to work and study towards. Like a goal, you know?

Also, I might move to another country and study abroad.

4. blackbirdbeatle

No, no you aren't locked in. You can enter med school with a variety of degrees.

5. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I knew a guy who did EE and pre-med at same time. It was nuts.

6. aldus

aldus Guest

Howso ? Only thing he would have to take extra would probably be organic.

My chemical engineering degree forces me to take all the premed classes. Premed is a joke really 1 "hard" class per semester. Try organic I and lab + differential equations + physical chemistry + materials and energy balances all in 1 semester.

Do chemical engineering or biomedical and you could be working on renewable energy stuff while getting your premed requirements.

7. Axespeed

that sounds interesting. what does biomedical engineering entail?

8. aldus

aldus Guest

Not really sure as I'm not in it, but I would assume you are designing/improving artificial hearts, drug delivery systems, and the other 100 million random machines in hospitals.

9. aldus

aldus Guest

10. blackbirdbeatle

It's also very hard I've heard. A family friend that I went to school with always got straight A's in school easily, a good work ethics, etc... then went into biomedical engineering. Way too stressful and now she's in med school, partially because it was a lot easier for her. If that tells you anything.