I'm gonna kill this keyboard power (shut off) key

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dry3210, Nov 19, 2004.

1. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

Got a new computer and the shut down key on the keyboard is right next to the damn enter key...any way to fix (ie: turn it off) besides phsycially taking the key out

2. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

few bucks at walmart for a new one. few bucks more really good one.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

is it a sleep button? if so you can go into power options, advanced tab and set the sleep button to do nothing.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

check the bios -- prolly in there.

otherwise, go get a good keyboard and mouse combo.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

there is a way to disable it. Knowing if you're on XP or 98 or what might help make things easier though.

You might have a feature in the BIOS but just incase you don't, or you don't want to take the chance it wouldn't work.

Contorl Panel->Power Management (Power Options for XP)->Advanced->Power buttons = Do Nothing

You can also get a shareware program called I Hate This Key click here and you can disable those keys that way change how some other keys work, like being able to disable the windows key while gaming (happened to me last night)

6. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

That did it...I think...I'm scared to test it...NOOOO...anyway thanks for your help...I skipped right over it when I was looking through stuff to figure it out on my own

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Do what I did and just take the keys that get in the way off the keyboard (pry them off with a nail file or something). My keyboard had a sleep key, a wake key and a power key right below delete, end and page down. They didn't do anything, but it was annoying as fuck because I had to look at what I was pressing since I wasn't used to them, so I just took them off. Yeah, the keyboard isn't that pretty, but it cost me $17 so it never was that pretty.