I'm gonna cry. What's wrong with my 3rd gen Altima 3.5?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by White Stormy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

It's been sitting for a week and a half while I was out of town.. went home last night to collect it, and it had a flat tire. There's both a nail and a screw in it.

I opened the car to look for my tire gauge, which was of course missing, then closed and locked the doors. The horn that sounded when I locked the doors didn't sound right.. it was puny. I got in and tried to start the car, but it wouldn't start. After several minutes of repeated attempts it finally did start, but continued to make a strange noise. :wtc:

I didn't leave anything on in the car, so I don't think it's as simple as a dead battery. I had over half a tank of gas. I just had an oil change like a month ago. None of the indicators or warning lights on the HUD were illuminated.

Any ideas?

Think it could be vandalism? Or just a terrible coincidence that the engine has trouble at the exact same time I get a flat tire? :(

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Battery is just flat, I bet. Modern cars have a lot of electrical stuff that constantly draws small current (ecu, clock, radio, alarm...), but it adds up over time. The weak horn and slow starting both sound exactly like something that would happen with a flat battery.

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Should have started it and let it run for a bit.

4. White Stormy

I did. let it run for about 5 minutes, then it started again better.

it sounds like a battery problem to me, too, but would it really just die out of nowhere for no reason? the connections to the battery look fine.. look brand new. everything under the hood looks far more clean than it should :o

5. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

how many miles are on the car? it might just be time for a new battery...I let my 3.5 maxima sit for weeks at a time pretty often and it has no trouble..

6. Dweezil

Dweezil New Member

Agreed - it may just be time for a new battery. I recently had to swap the battery in my 2005 subaru. Nothing out of the ordinary - it just wouldn't hold a charge any longer.

What type of "strange noise" was the car making after it started? How old is the car?

7. White Stormy

just under 53k

8. White Stormy

sounded like a belt had something on it or something.. couldn't hear it at all the next day.. everything looked pristine.

ran completely fine the next day, and now I'm out of town for another week. I guess if it has trouble starting again, it's almost definitely the battery.

I've never changed the battery in a car I really care about.. what's a good one to get?

9. White Stormy

thanks for all the info, guys :hug:

10. White Stormy

and anyone have any tires to recommend? the ones I have on right now are seriously loud.. I heard about some Dunlops (I think) that are supposed to have good performance but also be really quiet..?

11. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

I get optima red tops for my cars but they're pretty pricey; around $160. As for the tires, that depends on how much money you want to spend. Some good relatively inexpensive tires include Toyo Proxes 4s and Falken Ziex ZE-912s. I think the Proxes get a little loud once they're worn but other than that nobody seems to have complaints. Some more expensive tires include Michelin Pilot Sports and Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.

12. White Stormy

:bowdown: thanks I'll look into these as soon as I get home

13. Nitin

Nitin OT Supporter

Stay away from the Michelin tires. They're way overpriced and they suck. Go for the Toyo's if you can. They're not that expensive and are awesome.

14. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I can't speak for the Michelins, but I've put Toyo Proxes tires on my current Subaru and previous car, a Camaro, and I've been very happy with both the cost ond performance of the tires, look in them.

15. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Depends on the ones you get. I have the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s on my Maxima. Quieter and a lot better grip (especially off the line) than the Yokohama YK520s I had.

The 5/5.5 gen guys on Maxima.org do swear by the Proxies though.

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, you're mistaken. Michelin Pilots stick like tar and have a good lifetime despite their soft compound. I have them on my 3500lb daily driver and over a year later I can still bust a 90-degree lefty at 45mph without any tire squeal.

17. White Stormy

I have 16" wheels.. I think they're the same on my 3.5 SL as on the 2.5's.. Toyo Proxes aren't available for my wheels..

Michelin Pilot Exaltos are available, though, and look pretty good