SRS I'm going to quit drinking tommorow. Wish me luck.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Negative Ions, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I'm getting tired of this cycle i've been in for the last year. I used to be a heavy drinker, out of boredom, but quit a few years ago for about 6 months. After that I started drinking alot, though not as much as in my past, and I wouldn't ever get drunk unless I was going out with friends. I've been drinking a bit more now though since I moved and have no job. I can quit at times and not drink for weeks, but then I'll go out with a friend and get hammered. That wouldn't be bad but sometimes I'll have a couple beers the next day to make me feel better. Sometimes I'd just keep drinking slowely throughout the day.This now leads to anxiety attacks for some reason. Then when I feel an attack coming on I'll have a few more beers to get rid of the feeling. It works, but I don't need it. I can do it myself, and have before in the past. Well, I just thought I'd share this with you.

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Yea that sounds very much so like an alcoholic to me. Honestly, i've said it a ton of times in this forum: its not about how frequently you drank but the fact that moderation is impossible once we start drinking. Anyways, best of luck with that, keep us posted. Try hitting up an AA meeting, they're good and you have nothing to lose.

3. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I can do it, I've done it in the past. The only reason I drink right now is becuase of the damn anxiety crap. I'll start to have an attack, feel like I'm going to die, so I'll just have a few to calm me down and allow me to sleep. It works great, but I need to find another way to deal with it. I know it's all in my head, and if I struggle through it for a few days I'm fine. Going out and getting drunk once every few months doesn't have an affect on me. It's just when I do it for a few nights in a row, which is very rare now. I do have medication for anxiety (Xanax), but I've only taken it a few times before bed.

I've been to one AA meeting, in 1995. I hated it and realized I didn't really need it. I don't know why but it just wasn't for me. I like to do things myself, and I can do it. Actually, just getting on the internet and posting stuff helps with the anxiety and calms me down for some reason.

Edit: Oh, thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm sure I'll post an update tommorow morning. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You went to one meeting and decided you hated it and it wasn't for you? That's pretty closed minded, I suggest going to a few more before making that decision. You have to understand that every meeting is different, there are meetings I absolutely can't stand, and others I love. It seems like you don't know enough about the program to judge it so quickly. Try reading the Big Book if you're incredibly opposed to meetings and see what it's about.

Sharing about your problem (like posting on the internet) will help, it's therapeutic. Going to meetings and sharing with real people also helps you with your problems, it's one of the reasons people go to meetings. If you expect to get sober, and enjoy life, I honestly suggest you give it a try.

5. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I'll have no problems getting sober. I guess the main problem I have right now is the anxiety. I've been to the doctor a few times for it, but I don't want to get on daily drugs. I've heard it's easy to get hooked on them and that the withdrawal when quitting them really sucks. Once I get over the anxiety (and it's been getting better) everything else will fall into place. About the AA meeting, I don't know. I just felt like it wasn't for me. The people I was with were pretty messed up. I didn't say a word the whole time. I just listened to the stories and thought about how better off I seemed to be than some of them. Another thing I didn't like were all of the prayers and religous things they did. I'm an atheist, and while it doesn't bother me that other people do believe in religion I didn't like sitting there listening to it for 1/2 of the meeting. Well, I'm off to bed. I'll post again tommorow to let you know how everything is going. Thank you, and goodnight.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

One can only say they are capable of successfully quitting if they have actually quit.

You can't say "quitting is easy, i've done it hundreds of times", you know? best of luck. you may just need to re-evaluate when just sheer willpower doesn't work. I still suggest a meeting, but its up to you to decide to take that step or not

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Ditto what Nukegoat said. You should investigate more about the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, it's not a religious program, and is affiliated with no religion in particular. Occasionally, the meeting will end with the Lord's Prayer however, this is somehow tradition or something, I had a small problem with it when I began going to meetings as well. It's kind of like how it says on our dollar bills "In God We Trust."

Try going to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting (we don't do the Lord's prayer, and many of us were atheists at one time, and there are a few who are Atheists now who are in the program). We believe that alcohol is a drug, and we have problems with drugs, so you'd have no problem qualifying.

You need to share about your problems with someone, and a meeting is a great place to do it, I'm sure it will help your anxiety. You may be able to quit now, but if shitty thing's happen in your life, it's nice to have a support group to fall back on. I'd probably be loaded right now if it weren't for my commitments at NA, and the work I've already done in the program. Best of luck.

8. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Keep us updated. IF, and that is a BIG IF, you are able to stay DRY, it won't be sober as you aren't really actively working on your addiction, I congratulate you. I've seen people do it, what they found then was that alcohol, while one of their problems, was just a symptom of their overall disease, known as Alcoholism. The way they acted and reacted to situations was still off. That is where 12 step programs come in.
    Only you can decide if you're an alcoholic or not. You should pick up one of the pamplets that has the signs of alcoholism.
    As well, people who aren't alcoholics don't have to try and quit drinking. It isn't even a decision to stop, they just do.

9. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Just thought I'd give an update. I haven't had a beer in a week now, even though I have over a case of it sitting in my fridge. :) I probably won't have one until I finally get a job. Might have to have a few just to celebrate, but nothing hardcore. I don't plan on never drinking again, but I'm not going to get caught up in the daily routine. I figure it won't hurt to have a few every other month or so when friends come to visit and hang out.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You, my friend, need to go to a meeting. It sounds like the kind of alcoholic I was, who shouldn't be drinking at all, but you need to decide for yourself whether you're an alcoholic, which is why you should go to a meeting. If you are, you can't have beer in your fridge, and you can't "just have a few," it won't work. Read some literature, or go to a meeting, it will save you tons of pain and suffering to find out now if you are alcoholic.

11. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I have been to a meeting, and I pretty much figured out that I wasn't an alcoholic. I won't have a problem with maybe getting drunk once a month or having a couple beers a week. I just mainly wanted to stop drinking everyday, which I think just came out of boredom. Once I get a job and I'm not sitting at home all day it will be even better. I kind of like the fact that I have a case of beer sitting in the fridge, but I don't even have any need or want to grab one all the time anymore. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Didn't you attend that meeting like 10 years ago? Things may have changed since then.

The statement: "That wouldn't be bad but sometimes I'll have a couple beers the next day to make me feel better. Sometimes I'd just keep drinking slowely throughout the day." implies you were using alcohol to cure/avoid your problems. Attending 1 more meeting won't brand you an alcoholic, it will just give you some insight you won't have if you don't go. Good luck.

Take the online test: http://www.aa.org/default/en_about_aa.cfm?pageid=4

13. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Yeah, I used to do that once in awhile but only when I was having anxiety problems. Now that I'm not having the anxiety crap anymore I don't need it. I don't know if you've ever had anxiety or panic attacks but having a few beers would always calm me down, clear it up, and pretty much make me stop thinking about it.

Edit: I took the test, got 2 out of ten.

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

The anxiety I use to have was usually from running out of booze or dope, or worse yet, both! Now that I am clean I do not get anxiety as much, if I do it's usually relieved going to a meeting, talking to another addict or reading my literature.

Anyway, let us know if you have any further troubles, or for some reason decide to "quit drinking" again. Help is available if you need it, good luck.

15. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Thanks, I appreciate your support and everyone else that posted in this thread. I knew I could do it with no problems, I just wanted to hear what other people thought.

16. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

There really is no better way for you to figure out if you're an alcoholic than to try some controlled drinking. Go to a bar and have a beer, order another, take a couple of SIPS, leave at least 3/4s of the beer and walk. Do that for awhile, see how you do. Tell us your thoughts as you leave the beer there.

17. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I have no problems doing that. Sometimes I don't even feel like being at the bar or drinking. I sometimes have a beer or two with dinner if the wife and I got out to eat so I'm used to it.

18. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

Just thought I'd update you all on my situation. I pretty much did quit drinking for a few months, except for the few times I'd have a cold one after work or something. Well, three weeks ago my wife decided she doesn't love me anymore, and that pretty much ruined my life. I haven't gone back to the drinking all day thing, I don't want to plus I don't want to die from it, but I sometimes do a few at night to help put me to sleep. All I do is lay there and think about her, and everything we did. Having like 2 beers usually puts me to sleep pretty good for awhile, and no, I don't do it everynight. I'm still hoping things work out and we can get back together, but at this point I don't know.

19. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Sorry to hear that, have you gone to another meeting?

20. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

No, I don't really need it. Right now I just want to be left completely alone, by everyone except for one person, but she doesn't care. That's the only thing I'm concerned about right now. I pretty much know for a fact that she's been doing someone else since I left. I found and empty condom wrapper there, and that's all I can think about. Everything else is on the back-burner for now.