MMA I'm going to play the devil's advocate regarding Kimbo Slice

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

So, the reaction on here seems to be that it's bad to expect Kimbo Slice to fight decent heavyweights because he is only breaking into the MMA scene recently. I'm not talking Fedor, Couture...we're talking about Paul Buentello. :hsugh:

But why are some people (i.e. muscle68) so mad and sarcastic when people say Kimbo should fight a HW worth half a shit? Ryan Loco has met Kevin in real life, and perhaps is truly a hard working and endearing character. But to anyone else, all we've seen are his street fighting videos where he's supposed to be the baddest man on the planet and in these same videos, they call out anyone to come and fight Kimbo. So of course we want to see him fight a legitimate HW worth half a fuck, if he's gonna call people out to fight him. To people on the inside, Kimbo may be extremely humble...but from the media presented to most people, he's a brash street fighter who thinks he can beat anyone.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

While I'm still playing the devil's advocate - why should Kimbo Slice get an easy road while every other brawler is expected to fight any competition that a promoter wants them to fight?

Because it's easy money for fat ass Gary Shaw, who cares

3. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

What fighter DOESNT think they can beat everyone? Of course there are exceptions, but most fighters are confident in what they do...they're fighters.

In these street fighting videos, they do call people out. More street fights. These all took place before Kimbo started training professionaly. So you can't really look at those videos, then think to yourself he is calling Fedor out now.

Everyone should have to work their way up, period. He has natural talent with fighting so he is steam rolling the cans they're throwing at him. He has NO previous experience fighting professionaly so why should they throw him to the sharks now? He made a big name for himself street fighting, and has moved on. Stop worrying so much about his past and look at what he is doing now.

BTW I really dont care one way or another, I dont know the guy. But I am getting tired of people wanting him to face some of the worlds best professional fighters when he has only had a couple of fights.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

You're right, everyone has to work their way up - but few have the gift of getting hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight hand-picked cans. Everyone gets thrown to the sharks, obviously someone who is calling people out is expected to fight SOMEWHAT legitimate competition.

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Why do you say stop worrying about his past - that's the only reason this guy is getting any attention anyways.

6. roose

roose Guest

For the money and exposure Kimbo is getting he should have a far quicker ramp up in quality of opponents than other HW's. One or two more cans tops.

7. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

all about money.. kimbo brings in money.. if you want the sport to be big people like kimbo and brock lesnar who have crossover appeal will be important.. so what if he is confident? the guy takes mma seriously and i can respect that.. so what if hes making more money than a lot of people? cant blame him for that

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

not being able to tell the difference between the thug bodyguard internet fighter Kimbo, and the sober sexless bas rutten trained Kimbo is sad.

the internet is not the real world.

9. 4bangin

Because his past as a thuggish street fighter SHOULD have nothing to do with his profession as a legitimate fighter. People know that an experienced professional fighter will have the upper hand, yet they are saying that is who he should be fighting. Why? It doesnt make any sense. Let the guy fight some cans and work his way up just like every other professional fighter shoul do. And most HAVE done.

10. 4bangin

It seems like sexless might be pushing it a bit. Playa play on.

11. 4bangin

I guess being lazy isnt always a bad thing..

12. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Kimbos money in the bank you put him up against a guy like Paul Buentello what is their to gain he is a nobody anyone who is buying a PPV to see Kimbo probably wouldnt have a clue who he was.

I agree he should be fighting some decent level HWs soon but him losing within the next few fights is a bad business move for EliteXC.

13. Sammo

Sammo New Member

He's pretty lazy for a full time professional athlete...I still think he's decent, but people act like it would be like Kimbo fighting a T-Rex. :ugh2:

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

some guys on this forum have been training MMA longer than Kimbo

Obviously not personally with someone like Bas or have as much a natural toughness as him, but remember he is a rookie professional in MMA despite what we think of him.

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Maybe he wants to take this sport seriously by working his way up instead of being thrown into the sharks. After what happened recently to Houston Alexander and Sokou, two fighters with tons of hype surrounding them, I can see why they would want to take things slow. How can you expect a guy with less than a minute of actual fight time to be competing with top contenders? The last thing they'd want is for the world to think that he's a fluke. I mean we still don't know if he can take a shot and what he's like on the ground.

16. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

wat?

do you know who sokou fought before he got to the ufc...

17. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

kimbo says himself he has a lot to learn
    there is no reason for him to fight top hw's until he has been training for a substaintial amount of time.

18. JordanClarkson

Yes, I do. What is your point?

19. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

:rofl:

The hype that Soko was riding was because he was throw in with the sharks. He knocked them both out.

20. JordanClarkson

And apparently undeserved. His last fight proved that they were fluke KO's

21. 4bangin

Who says that?

22. ilduce

ilduce New Member

He lost, fighters sometimes lose. Machida is an excellent fighter and nothing to scoff at by any means. He got the hype because he knocked 2 of the biggest names in MMA, one knockout perhaps that would make him not deserve the attention but two certainly does.

23. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

So all it takes is one lose to erase everything?

The Arona fight proved that he wasn't a Fluke. The fight against Machida just showed that he needs to become a little more well rounded.

He is still in his early 20's.

24. JordanClarkson

Machida looked the best he ever has. Soukou obviously wasn't ready for him.

25. ilduce

ilduce New Member

To be honest Im not sure many are ready for Machida. He is strong but deceptively fast and agile for a 205 pounder. Sokajew is big and strong but was at least a step behind that entire fight, much like the other fighters Machida has beat.