GUN I'm going to go insane v. Writing paper over UK gun laws

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by VladTemplar, Nov 18, 2007.

1. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

You guys would not believe some of the stuff the MET says on their website regarding firearms. The last thing that I read that bewildered me was that if a loved one dies and they happen to own firearms you should promptly call the police for them to come and dispose of the firearms...even if the firearms are LEGAL! To transfer ownership to yourself is a multi-month process and thus you could not legally hold the firearms during that time.

Not to mention it's illegal to own a rifle that's chambered for larger than .22 unless you have a very difficult permit to get which allows larger hunting rifles and even then they can't have magazines, the guns can only allow a single bullet at a time (manual loading). Shotguns can't have a detachable magazine and cannot hold more than 2 rounds in reserve (3 total). All the requirements and whatnot to obtain a shotgun are on the level of being completely ludicrous.

I'm at a complete loss for words here, I just had to come to a place where sanity still existed and vent. I feel like flying home and taking pictures of my firearms just to attach to my paper (my prof is VERY anti-gun). I also want to put the following picture right on the top of my paper. I won't, but damn do I want to.

[​IMG]

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

there should be at least 2 empty magazines in that picture somewhere :rofl:

3. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

They're trying to pass a new bill which would make it illegal for you to own or purchase primers and reloading presses unless you have a specific reason AS WELL AS an accompanying firearms or shotgun certificate and even then you can only buy a press which will directly correspond to your specific needs and only so many primers as the police see fit for you to 'reasonably' purchase.

Fuck me, someone get me a flight home, STAT.

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

didn't they ban carrying knives as well?

just doing a paper on the trends in crime in that country would be very interesting to me.

5. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

You can carry a blade up to 3" in length if you have a permit from the MET which is only obtainable with a specific purpose which must be approved and 'general utility' doesn't count, not even with a multi-tool.

Gun violence in England and Wales since 1997 has gone up 110% from 2,378 in 1998/99 to 5,001 in 2005/06. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6372717.stm)

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm not so much interested in gun violence. in fact, I can't stand how people rate gun violence as a seperate entity than all the other violent crimes. Like a robbery with a gun is worse than a robbery with a knife or a bat or any other weapon.

I mean the overall violent crime numbers and especially compared to the US (rape, robbery, burglary, murder, etc.)

7. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

uk sucks, people always getting shot, should just allow guns back

8. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7056245.stm

Fucking A, that's just ridiculous.

9. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Why did you move to the UK? Was is a job or family or something?

10. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'm studying abroad right now, I've been here 2.5 months and I leave on Dec 18th.

I'm looking forward to the flight home.

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

how many times have you been mugged so far?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.

I never understood gun control laws. Why make any of it illegal? The tool is not bad -- it's what someone does with the tool. Almost ANYTHING can kill. Whether a criminal uses a gun, a sword, or a ball-point pen, it's the act of inflicting pain/death that is illegal, not the instrument used.

People that would kill someone with a gun are no less likely to commit their crimes with other tools that are still made available to them.

So why take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens who don't commit bad acts with the tools?

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

because guns are scary, duh.

14. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Sounds like California.

15. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

California is a state of gun owners compared to the UK.

16. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd be willing to bet people are less likely to be injured when the robber uses a firearm. I think someone would be more likely to fight back if the person only had a knife, a blunt object, or if it was just a strong arm robbery.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What can you do, as a population, they are used to depending on their king for protection. Been that way for centuries.

What would WWII have been like if other countries had not provided weapons when it was suddenly realized that the enemy was close enough to invade?

18. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Because we've become a pussified society, where it's never the criminal's fault anymore. We have to feel sorry for them, and say "oh that's so sad he had a poor upbringing," and we act as if they aren't bad people, so we just look to blame anything we can besides the criminal himself, and it's all too easy to blame it on the tool.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

In reverence of this thread, I have yet again exercised my right to bear arms, and I purchased a S&W M&P-15 today :wavey:

20. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Another EBR, mah nga. :bigthumb:

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

CA probably has around 100 million guns in it, so yes, we are a state of gun owners.

22. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

I heard you can own double shotguns and black powder revolvers or some old school revolvers. Id go through the BS to get them.

I dont know how hard it is. In Australia you can own anything except machine guns if you go through bullshit. Like you can own semi autos if you are a military re enactor but NEVER can you own any thing for self defence.

what's the deal with Cali is it just guns for home defence mostly in LA but in other areas ccws are handed out?

Guns dont kill people, Chavs Jamaicans and pakistanis do.

I think USA has a higher murder rate of which is a lot of gang on gang activity compared to UK. but UK has more robberies,etc. of innocent people.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  23. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

UK gang crime is on the rise, especially with firearms.

24. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

My comment was sarcastic. Sorry about the confusion. :o

25. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Its cool, I know what you mean. The problem is that in CA it is a vocal minority that are anti gun. If you take away maybe 3-4 counties, then you get a very red state :o