I'm going to buy a PC sometime within the next few months

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, May 26, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I use an iBook as a school computer and my PC at home just died. It is a few generations old (P3 700) and is in major need of replacement.

I am going to do an internship this summer making a few thousand dollars. I plan on using this money to buy a computer that I've been wanting to build for the past 7 years. Either that or buy a Mac Mini for my home and build a PC for school.

in any case, I plan to go all out when buying the PC..

Lian-li V1000
    2 gigs of RAM
    X850XL or something similar when I buy everything ($500 max)
    Z-5500 speakers
    M-Audio or Audigy 2 sound card
    2 x 74GB Raptor in RAID 0 for games/apps
    2 x 300GB for file storage

obviously I'm leaving out the most important parts.. motherboard and CPU. I'm loyal to Intel and would like to go that route, but I'll make my final decision when it's time to buy a computer. I'd like to go with a Dual Core Smithfield... maybe we'll see 4 GHz speeds by then

after I build this machine, I am going to buy like 10 games and lock myself in my room for about 2 months

2. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Why two raptors? Are you really planning on installing that much stuff on your primary HD?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get rid of the RAID. You won't see a performance increase, and you WILL lose your data. Any crash or power failure will cause catastrophic data loss.

MAudio > Audigy2

nVidia > ATi

If you're going all-out, then get a home theater setup and ditch the logitech speakers.

What brand hdds? I would sacrafice some space for a seagate (better) drive.

Make sure you get XMS memory.

you left out 3 VERY important items... what cpu, mobo and psu?

AMD or Intel is your choice. If you go with AMD, then get an Asus or MSI board with the nVidia NF4 chipset. If you go with Intel, get an Intel board with the Intel 925x chipset.

Go with an enermax PSU.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Jollyroger, your advice isn't bad, but you don't back it up. enermax isn't the best PSU out there, and some ATi cards are pretty awesome. And a home stereo is gonna cost a whole hell of alot more than thoose speakers, and they really arn't bad. I would sugest Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 speakers instead, or maybe do go the home route, and there is a really nice klipsch setup, and get a decent reciever. Waaay better SQ that way.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

enermax IS the best psu for the money. You will not beat an enermax unless you go to a PCP&C... and that's $$$.

and no, for every ATi card out, there is an nVidia card that is better. Better cards, more innovative, longer laster, better drivers, better company.

even an inexpensive HT setup beats an expensive computer speaker setup... Although if you have to get computer speakers, klipsch are nice.

as far as this "don't back it up shit goes" you all need to come the fuck down with that. I'm right... you know it in your heart, so just fucking accept it. I'm getting tired of going over time and time again (if you search you'd find many many many reasons to back up my statements... just not neccessarily all in the same thread) why an asus/msi/intel board is better than a piece of shit ecs.... Or why a 350W sparkle is WAY better than a 500W "generic" psu.

Like the "toshiba is good" thread.. That shit cracks me up that sooo many people can be that ignorant. you know what, fuck it... I'll go rationalize all my statements in that thread now.... Just to prove my point :rolleyes:

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Buy a G5

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl:

or TWO high-end x86 workstations, of which EACH will outperform the G5.

Seriously, no one should EVER recommend buying an apple hardware product. If you use an Apple, the only legitimite reason I see is that you like the interface/OS. If so, then kudos, because it is very nice... However, the hardware they choose to use is simply hilarious. If they were to release OSX/Aqua on the x86 platform where I could build hardware, and then we could run their OS, they'd take a serious chunk out of MS... But they're afraid, and the PPC architecture is their desperate attempt to hold onto their market share by being consistant enough to keep customers, but different enough to not be popular.