GUN I'm going to buy a Glock 19, what kind of sights should I get?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jul 25, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I was going to buy locally, and I called every gun store within 20 miles of me and nobody has a G19 in stock. The places that offered to order me one said the 19 is back ordered and it could be up to a month before it comes in. The only one that said he could have it within 2 weeks says he has the best prices in town :mamoru: and charges 15% over cost. In that case, what would cost be on a G19 for a gun dealer?

Also, from what's available on bud'sgunshop, should I get glock's night sights or just hold off and get a different kind? And if not night sights, what about fixed/adjustable?

It sucks that it's impossible to find a used glock 19. Lots of people own them but nobody is ever selling them. :o

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Depends on what are you expecting out of your gun.

Defense / CCW

range/game/ plinking

both?

My recommendations...

Defense: Meps, TruGlo TFO's or trijicon night sights.

Range/game/plink: Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Front sight, Bomar if you want adjustable or Heinie if you want fixed.

Both: Heinie Straight 8's

success

3. xpinchx

Probably a little bit of both. I'd like to get into IPSC but this will be a HD gun as well. How exactly does the straight 8 sight picture work? I can guess by the name you just align the two dots on top of eachother, right?

Also I called one last place that's a bit of a drive away and they ask $540 for a basic glock 19, seems like a good deal? Figure with shipping and FLL transfer that's about how much it will cost anyway.

edit: Seriously 9 out of the 10 gun shops I called, the owners sounded grumpy and mean as fuck on the phone. :o

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's a little high for a 19, but I sympathyze for you.

I say keep your eye's peeled at Glocktalks firearms exchange, Summit Brokers, Arfcom EE. You should be able to get one for low 400.

As for sights, Glock sights are the easiest by far to swap out. You only have to tap out the rears, the front sight is just a hex wrench. Get the gun and buy the sights sepreate, cheaper and better sights than stock.

As for the Straight eight's, that is correct, place one dot on top of the other. If you want to go competitioin, black out the rear dot with a marker.

The reason for that is, competitive shooter are front sight focus shooters, when you have something on the rear slide, it slows down your vision from darting towards the front sight and detracts from your front sight focus.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Just called my old workplace....

G19, 1 left, basic sights.

507.98 Credit Card
    489.98 Cash Price

You won't be able to determine his "cost", without knowing who he gets it from, and what "tier" he is on with that distributor. This guy gets Glocks Factory Direct (cheapest), and his markup WAS a couple points under 10%. Probably about the cheapest you will find.

Evans Firearms and Archery
    Lexington, Ky
    859-277-7770

6. xpinchx

But then it's $10ish to ship and $20 FFL transfer fee, and then I'm right at $540 which is what my local place is selling it for anyway.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Well then, it appears you've answered your own question.

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd just put back a little $ and scour the various boards with a quick finger. Where all have you been looking?

**edit**
    Wow, the 'pickins are slim for used stuff.... WTF is the deal with everything being FTF only?

Found a 2nd Gen, if you would fly one of those...
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900421&highlight=g19

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. xpinchx

I'm not in a hurry per se but I don't feel like waiting forever hitting refresh on 10 different forums seeing if something new pops up. Most of the glocks I see are older generation ones with pretty high round counts, and they go too quickly. I've been looking for a while and it's just frustrating, and to think this is all to save maybe a hundred bucks after shipping and fees. I'm about to just say fuck it and go out and buy it but I'll give it a week to make sure that's what I want to do.

9. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Glock 19 w/ Fixed Sights is $440 from our distributor.

10. cantankerously

If you worked in a gun shop, you'd sound the same way. :o

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Oh wow.... That's really cheap. My old store used to have some of the lowest prices around, but that difference is crazy. I wonder if something has happened and he's changed distributors/pricing structures...

Mind if I ask if this is from the factory, or a wholesaler?

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd just buy local, its going to be hard to find beat glock prices by shopping online unless you're buying used from some place like summit. Plus if you buy in person you can check out the gun first. Yar's posted a few times his guide to properly molesting a glock pre-purchase.

13. cantankerously

Wholesaler. We end up selling Glock 19s for $519.

14. xpinchx

Can you get me a deal on one? :o

15. cantankerously

We don't ship guns out of state.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

xs big dots :o

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Pay the extra $20 and get it locally. Support your local shop and the local enconmy. It's just $20 more over retail sale price. If you don't support your local gun store they will be out of bussiness. It is hard to compete with the internet but your going to need a place to do transfers and buy ammo when you don't have time to wait to get it shipped.

As far as sights if you have asperations of shooting competition don't get the night sights. Stay with the stock sights and then get some proper target sights like the dawsons, bomars, or race cut hennies.

18. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

When it comes to local stores, I like to give them business, but if they don't support ME and my wallet, they need to go out of business. I'm for the increase in the WHOLE firearms market, not just the local one. They need to stop charging an arm and an anus for shit that's cheaper elsewhere just because they can trick old people and people who don't have the internet into paying that price.

19. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

It took 8 hours... :eek3:

20. cantankerously

I think you also have to consider where the shops are getting their supply from. Some gun shops won't be able to get guns for the same price as online places that do a larger volume.

21. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

I've got meprolights on my G17 and my G19.

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

+1

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is one of the most uninformed things I've seen written regarding such things. You've obviously never owned a business or worked retail.

Local shops tend to have a lot more overhead than many internet places that they have to pay for. Many will also never get anywhere close to the volume discounts that many online retailers get either.

Its simply not possible 90% of the time for a local to compete with price with anyone online. They have to do it with service, the service you get when you go in the store. While I might pay a bit more for a gun at the onset of things, they'll often do service and support for me for free that I would pay for otherwise. I generally will come out the same or ahead when I take all the service into account.

I will mail order things at times, but I also support them a lot. Simply thinking that they are trying "screw anyone that doesnt have internet" is a completely false way of thinking.

24. cantankerously

:werd:

25. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

dot

pun intented