GUN I'm going to be taking some martial arts instruction.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by footratfunkface, Apr 16, 2004.

1. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my instructor is certified in wing chun, escrima/kali, and jeet kune do.

so, i'm going to get a good mix of all three. me and my two best friends are doing this together. bruce teaches small classes like this, or private instruction. went and saw him today, and watched him doing some demonstration on a student. insanely fast. and all that inch-punching stuff? you can't describe the way it feels. one thing he did was take his student, have him hold two phone books stacked on top of each other against his chest, then put my friend's chest to the student's back, then my chest to my friend's back. he hit the phonebooks with a one-inch punch, and i felt it knock the wind out of me, and i moved back a couple steps. it's weird, because when hit in the center of the chest with it, you don't feel it on the skin, you feel it inside.

he also showed us the way he teaches kicks. they're not normal kicks in the way that you think of a roundhouse coming from the side and all that. ALL of his kicks come from the same place. he was standing in front of me, and any kick he did looked like it was the same kick, until it got to where it was going, which could be anywhere.

and his kicks aren't often over the belt. being hit in the side of the leg, he aims for certain points, where, if he'd kicked hard, he'd have broken my leg. he left a sore spot, and barely kicked. he hit points that he knows have the right effect.

also, something else cool he did was he had the student in a finger lock. while like that, bruce would say "watch his left leg" (his student was on his knees). bruce would move the guy's finger just a little, and that leg would start moving. "watch his right leg". a different movement to the finger, the right leg moves. "now watch his left foot" and his left foot clenched up. bruce's style is so fucking fluid and adaptive, which is what i'm looking for. it's practical, which also what i'm looking for.

basically, i wanted something that would bridge the gap between nothing and firearms. this is it. he is a firm believer in "you fight how you train", so he doesn't do much in the way of "techniques". he gives you a skill set, and makes you adapt it yourself through different random "playing" drills. it's like in guitar, where you know scales, but you're able to adapt them to a song and improvise as you go, instead of being stuck in a rigid pattern.

this is exactly what i wanted. originally, i wanted more groundwork, more grappling, and more brutality, but i realize now that that's exactly what this is. there are many depths at which you fight, many distances. 10 feet can be closed fast, and 5 ft. then there's close-in fighting, and on the ground. he teaches you do work in all areas using the same skills, but adapting them to flow. it's not about sitting there choking your opponent out, it's about using the appropriate force, from simple little things that only hurt for a short time, to breaking bones quickly so you can move on to the next threat.

and the part MORE related to this forum: he helped write the army's fighting manual, specifically, the bayonet fighting and sentry elimination manuals. we're thinking about bringing an AR and a bayonet up there once we get to know him, and making him teach us that stuff. even though we explained that we're proficient in firearms, i don't think he caught on that my friend carries, and that we're big into firearms like that.

this should be fun, though.

2. footratfunkface

oh, and his master trained with bruce lee for 10 years, and my instructor, bruce jolly, has been doing this for 30 years.

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

:cool: i took Wing Chun for a few months. had to quit due to lack of funds. when i get the time and money, i'm gonna go back to it.

4. footratfunkface

yeah, i figure getting a mixture of bruce lee's original art, and the one he later came up with, along with the weapons use in kali, i'll be getting what i want out of it.

5. Poonony

Poonony New Member

Ninja's can dodge bullets cant they?

6. footratfunkface

who said anything about ninjas?

7. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That's really interesting. I was considering taking some sort of martial arts. I've heard that softer styles are better, but wasn't given examples of what would be really good. I'm kind of familiar with wing chun and jeet kun do, but I've never heard of kali. What is that?

8. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

i've taken both kali and JKD in the past. you're in for lots of fun. :bigthumb:

9. Jago

filipino martial art with stick, knife, and unarmed techniques. i remember my instructor used to teach us some of the craziest stuff (apparently he was part of some street gang when he was young back in the philipines. :eek: ). some things that come to mind are using a newspaper, handkerchief, etc. as weapons.

screw all that soft/hard style crap. that stuff might have worked 100s of years ago when it was first developed but these days, you have to cross train if you want to be an effective fighter. look into MMA if you can.

10. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

He trained with Danny Inosanto and Francis Fong??!??!!?!! :eek3:

:bigthumb:

Lucky bastard. Is Auburn far from Savannah? I may be moving there in the next year.

11. footratfunkface

auburn, AL, or auburn, GA? both are a fair distance from savannah. there's a krav maga place near savannah, though.

now that i've looked, did you find bruce jolly on auburn university's web site? if so, that's from a while ago. he's here near me, in the metro atlanta area, northeast of atlanta.

http://www.auburn.edu/junfan/club.htm

that's him, and yes, he trained with inosanto and fong.

here's a list of people who are active with fong, along with contact info: http://www.francisfongacademy.com/Pages/wingchunassoc.html

12. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

No I found the website for one of his training facilities through google - can't find it now. :dunno: I believe it was Auburn, GA.

13. footratfunkface

what's that?

14. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I've been training in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu for a few months now. But I think any martial arts is good for a person. You would just have to find the one that is right for you.

15. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

16. Jago

gunkata.

17. Jago

18. footratfunkface

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It seems to me alot of Trainers study wing chun, escrima/kali, and jeet kune do together. My Teacher also studied those under Danny Inosanto and Francis Fong. Fong was just here for a seminar and the next seminar is with Inosanto. But he also trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Ricardo De La Riva and Muay Thai with Ajarn Chai Sirisute... as well as Savate. But I am only at his school for grappling and Muay Thai, not Wing Chun or Kali.

If anyone cares... my school's website and Chris's Bio: http://www.jkdgym.com/bio.php