SRS I'm going for my AA degree

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Feb 4, 2010.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

But i keep hearing all this negative shit like that won't help you, its half a degree, stuff like that. I want to get into sales. I'm learning disabled so I don't want to go for another 2 years. I'm almost done with my AA now and just hoping my work was worth it.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Don't let others pull you down, keep going for gold and don't listen to bs of people who just sit in the couch and complain at other people who do want to make something out of their life. If you want to go into sales, fine, you've got my blessing. AA is better then nothing.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

It's certainly better than nothing

4. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

Having an AA is better then having nothing.

If you get an AA, and decide to go for a four year degree, finish our your AA at a CC, transfer to a Uni or another CC that offers a four year degree program and then poof, you have an AA and a BA.

5. wayno

wayno New Member

Stick with it. It's about giving yourself options, opening doors, creating opportunities. I've had jobs and offers that came my way in part because of the sheepskin.

6. johan

johan Active Member

An AA degree, isn't that great. But it depends on what benefit you expect to get out of it. What kind of jobs are you going for.

A AA is 1/2 way to a full on degree. Once you get that, drop the AA off your resume.

I won't lie to you. As someone who does hire/fire, an AA is of minor importance to me.
    Depends on the job though.

For you, I would DEFINITELY continue with the AA.
    Ignore the people who trash it.

I would follow that up by saying look into rolling into a full degree program sooner rather than later.

If you "take time off" its easy to lose the momentum you've built up, and pretty soon, that full degree....never happened.

One day, you'll be 40, and in line for a nice job, with a corner office and a view. And then a younger hotshot bristling with an MBA degree slides in.

I see this all the time. Sometimes I'm the guy who slid the degreed candidate in there, over top of guys like you.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Were you any less of a man? Nope. Probably better, in many ways.

But I also have to defend my choices to director level management.
    Sorry, that's how the world works.

Don't be the guy I pass over.

You have to be some kind of superstar to get good management level jobs if your edu creds are weak, or non-existent. No disrespect, but very few people can bust their ass that hard, for that long to be a 'superstar'.

Education is the safer road for 99% of people. You don't have to be Yale or MIT. Just go to a decent school, get a reasonable bachelors.

This scenario may never happen to you. You may win the lottery. You may not care about a good paying, comfortable job with a view office.

But if it does....if you've worked hard...and decades later, you have that slip away thru your fingers....

you will feel a special kind of regret that you'll really really wish you'd just taken a little bit more time, early in your life, to correct.

So.....Stay in school.

7. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've thought of stopping but realized that if I stop now. All the nights I stayed in to study, all the money, all the time spent driving to class would be for nothing.

It's true that an AA won't look like much depending on the job. But it's def not going to hurt you, only can help.

Look at it like this. If you are one of the 20 people that are finalist in getting a job an AA might help. If 18 out of the 20 only have high school dimplomas then you could have an edge. If they see everybody equal and education is the only thing that is different among everybody. You're going to have an edge.

For me, I've worked full time jobs the entire time I've been going towards my AA. So if I settle for just an AA degree I can at least tell employers during interviews that I was in school while working full time. I just never got the chance to go on to get a 4 year degree because I was not quite sure what I wanted to do yet. So I didn't want to waste the time and money since I spent so much time working.

8. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Having an AA will allow you to continue your education when you are ready with out having to deal with all the BS gen ed stuff that you have no interest in.

Having an AA is significantly better than having a HS education.

I know a guy who was going to a university, got 2.5 years in and said fuck it, took his AA in general studies, and started his own business and is now pushing toward 6 figures only 3 years later.

9. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

You are almost done, so you may as well get your piece of paper and put it on your resume - it can't hurt! Depending on what the requirements are for jobs you are applying for, you may stand out against other candidates who do not have any college education. Going to college, even for an AA, shows an employer that you are able to set goals for yourself and see them through to completion.

10. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

AA is WORTH IT! It will open a world of possibilities in education, it also shows employers that you are trainable. If you do continue your education, most institutions take that AA as ALL GEN EDS DONE!

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

No amount of education is ever wasted.....EVER.

12. advertisingguru

advertisingguru New Member

what learning disability do you have?

13. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

Any verifiable education you can get is worth it. People are graduating out of college these days with low IQs; all it took was determination.

14. James Bottomtooth

James Bottomtooth New Member

AA got my foot in the door of a great Job. I dont regret it for one second. Although I did go on to finish to help my career even more.

15. Sooka

Sooka New Member

I'm sure most of the people telling you negative shit and trying to put you down never even got a college education and are most likely just jealous and want you to fail like they did. At least that's how all the people who talk shit about me going to college are. Some of them are complete losers who are felons with no GED/Diploma and no job. If you can't get into a university right away or can't afford it then you have to start somewhere and community college will get you further in life than no college.