MMA I'm giving a persuasive speech in public speaking on why mma isn't as dangerous and..

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ParamountOfHate, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

...brutal as most media makes it out to be.

-So far my main emphasis is going to be the prevalance of injuries involved with boxing/football/hockey, both short term and long term, as they are 3 of the more violent mainstream sports.

-I'll go over the change of rules from the "old" UFC to the new rules and compare them to olympic combat sports.

-I would love to be able to point out the difference in sportsmanship from your average athlete but I can't really cite that in anyway.

-How does the UFC handle steroid testing?

-Any suggestions of material to cover would be great. I'm struggling in putting this together as a citable speech. It only has to be 6 minutes long so I don't have time to delve too deeply.

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Nobody has died yet?

I'm a big mma fan, but realize that is is violent.

3. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

Yeah I know it's violent but I'm just pointing out how equally dangerous other "acceptable" sports are.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

i've got a whole presentation/speech on the history of mma that i got an A on if you want it.

5. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Submissions and ref stoppages prevent injurys
    striking more then just the head

7. Titus

Titus New Member

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

MMA allows fighters a wide range of defensive techniques, compared to boxing where they have to absorb the blow most of the time -- even if they are "covered"

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

brain damage sets n when you are knocked out, recover, then get hit again. No 10 count in mma.
    speed people are moving in football. like a mini car crash.

also, remember that UFC != mma.

10. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

Post the txt of your speech when your done, would be an interesting read.

11. Five7

Five7 Member

1. I think you may be safe with short term effects in comparison but I dont think you have anything to compare to in terms of long term effects. You are probably seeing reports in your reserarch of football players from the 1970's and 80's having ill effects as a result of a long career of rough and/or voilent play. There was no sanctioned MMA, atleast that I am aware of, from the same era. MMA fighters length of careers arent really compairable, either, as of yet. I just think that its easy to say there will be no long term harm but its too early to say. Its not quite apples to oranges but its like granny smith to honey crisp. They are related but there is still a wide margin of difference. Just my opinion.

A. As a sidenote on the same subject; football and hockey have both updated thier rules, aswell. Football has taken away the helmet to helmet contact, hits on defenseless recievers, and upped the roughing the passer calls. Hockey has heightened penalties using the stick as well as charging a player with assault for a hit with a stick in a game. I know this is a persuasive speech but you are being a little unfair, if you ask me, by mentioning rule changes in exibit a and not bringing them up in exibit b. I am also taking a speech class this semester and those kinds of things came up post persuasive speeches.

2. Sportsmanship is very subjective in ANY sport. Some players slap each others ass after a good play. Some want to fight after their team loses. I dont see how MMA is any different. Some fighters hug after the fight and some pretend to be digging a grave to put the washed up guy that they just beat for the 3rd time into. Not so sportsman-like, if you ask me. I dont think there is anyway that you could say that most MMA fighters are good sports and other atheletes arent. Persuasive speeches are supposed to convince and I dont think you will be able to convince anyone of that fact... or lack there of.

I think you have a good topic, overall, but just need to refine the points of persuasion. Also, I know that you said this yourself in your post but make sure you arent saying that MMA isnt dangerous and voilent. Remember that you want to say that its not AS dangerous and/or voilent as portrayed. Its dangerous and its voilent. Forgetting to mention that will get your speech laughed at and wont persuade anyone to think like you. Good luck, Bro Jackson.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  12. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i'm pretty sure i might have an opportunity to also make this presentation in my communications class next semester

the idea about comparing old rules to new rules (specifically mention that its the UFC not MMA as a sport) is a good idea

13. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

During this weeks Hawaii game, QB Colt Brennan got knocked out, but will probably play next week. In MMA, that is an automatic 60 day suspension with testing required.

14. Five7

Five7 Member

Knocked out before he hit the ground, even. The hit didnt look that brutal but he went limp as soon as he took it.

15. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

COLT BRENNAN FUTURE HESIMAN TROPHY WINNER?

In any case, I read there has been one MMA death and it was in an unregulated show in Russia. Boxing has about 20 or so deaths per year, the statistics are easy to find. FISHING has more deaths associated with it per year than any other sport.

16. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

it was Ukraine and it was an unsanctioned fight. THe guy wasn't cleared to fight in the US as he was constantly blacking out during practice. His "death" isn't the result of a brutal beating, rather he gets hit a few times in the head, they stop the fight, he stands up for a second and then collapses and dies later. He had a pre existing condition so its safe so say there have been no deaths in sanctioned MMA fights.

17. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

I am indeed having trouble finding any long term statistics so I'm not really going to be able to cover anything past 10 years or so. I'm mainly going to focus on major injuries and deaths.

I'm not trying to claim any of these sports aren't attempting to protect their athletes, except maybe boxing. I'm a big fan of them all, I just want to point out that MMA, at this time, is statistically safer and has many rules that people don't know about to protect the fighters. From the survery I took in the class, most of the students are familiar with these other sports but not MMA.

Yeah I was grasping with that one.

18. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

I didn't know about that, do you have any kind of link I can cite?

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

20. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Right, but it should be used as proof that you should always sanction mma...

was it Ukraine, or was it part of Russia when the fight happened?

21. ParamountOfHate

ParamountOfHate Heh

22. baner69

baner69 New Member

Don't mention the old UFC at all, just focus on the situation today and why it is safe. Just mentioning the old will give a emotionalt connection to brutality and there is a risk of them not listening to the rest of your argument.