im getting very frustrated w my bittorrent

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, May 19, 2004.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i have my ports open, i got my firewalls down, and i STILL can't get fast connection. my downloads only connect to like 20 peers, while my neighbor can download the same file from like 100 peers and get over 100 kbps while i get like 10 kbps and under. help PLEASE??? Im using the latest bittorrent, and trying Shadow's Experimental at the same time. none help. the frickin light is always yellow and i dunno wtf is causing it!!!! i even tried making myself DMZ host, and that helps sometimes, other times no.

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  2. Exile

Exile Guest

Are you behind any type of firewall or proxy? They can be interfering with bit torrents connection.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have you tweaked your max upload rate? I have seen that the default for most BT programs has the upload rate as unlimited. I found that by setting mine to about 5 will greatly increase my d/l rates.

Check out the web forum on http://www.lickmytaint.com/forum/sitenews.asp for a guide to setting BT up even if you have done most of it already.

HTH.

CM.

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

thanks for the replies guys. at this point, ill try anything, so yea ill check that site out. and yea i currently have my max upload at unlimited, even tho my connection can only upload @ 15 kbps or so. i dont believe im behind any other firewall or proxy. its just my comp and the router and modem, thats all. im pretty sure i opened the ports from my router correctly, but even if i didnt, i made my comp DMZ host and that didnt help. as for proxies, im not even exactly sure what they are...

5. Exile

Exile Guest

A proxy is a server that your browse through in a way. You submit the page you want to see to the proxy it D/L the page and sends it to you. There's a bit more to it, but for a quick description that works.

6. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

when you're downloading, set it to "isdn/dialup", that will boost your speeds a lot, when you finish, set it back to "unlimited or whatever so others can download from you.

7. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ooo i c i get it :bigthumb:

8. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

whatd does "choked" mean? everyone's frickin choked on this list

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  9. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

What is your total upload speed? Unlike other peer to peer programs, it's really hard to leech with bittorrent, meaning you need to be uploading fast in order to be downloading fast.

10. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

you shouldnt set it to upload at unlimited. You need to play around with the upload speed, but for my comcast 3mb I've found that dsl/cable slow is what gets me the best results. And once the file is done I'll then set it to unlimited to help seed for everyone else.

11. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

well ive done all that open port stuff and rite now one of my downloads is at 85 kbps :bigthumb: but another one is at like 1 kbps, sometimes even 0. i guess thats prolly just because very few people is seeding it

12. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

I'm behind a netgear router and realized if too many people would hit it (like I open up 3 diff downloads) the router gets flooded with connections and kills itself, basically so I have to reset the router. I can't download torrents fast either, and I assumed it was because my router (even though my ports ARE open), were limiting how many actual connections could come in.

13. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

o woa no way there's a limit to how many downloads at once? hmmm

14. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

There is on mine. For instance, Say I want to download four movies at once, and they're all seeded heavily. That's alot of connectivity for my router. If I leave my house and come back in a couple hours chances are my internet will have died, and I'll have to reboot my router. My best guess is the router sees it as a huge attack or something and simply shuts me off from the outside world.

15. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

The reason your downloads 'choke' when your upload speed is set to unlimited is that downstream tcp streams require return traffic. Since the shaper software built into most cable modems is horrible, the upload connection eating the most bandwidth is the one that tends to dominate once the upload rate limit is reached. At this point, your downloads aren't getting the acks they require so they slow down/stop. Setting your upload rates on your torrents so they total just slightly less than your upload cap should give you the best performance.

Also, keep in mind that torrent is not going to give you consistent performance. It depends on how popular the file is:

1. how many seeds (those that have a full copy of the shared files) and how fast their connections are.
    2. how many peers, and what percentages of them are sharing more specific blocks of the file than others. for example, your download could start out at 100k/sec for the first 20%, and then drop to 15k/sec for the rest simply because the torrent is new, most of the peers only have the beginning parts.