I'm getting this laptop for cheap from a friend... but its FUBAR

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

Ok, I've tried booting it in every safe mode known to man. It comes up w/ this blue screen that I have a picture of here. How can I fix this crap, I have her windows XP OS disc that came w/ the comp, but the disc drive doesnt read discs! Is there a way I can like rip that CD to my current computer, and put it on a flash drive to try to install it again? Also, how do I just completely reformat the hard drive because the only recovery discs she has is the OS disc w/ a few programs that were installed on the dell. thanks [​IMG]

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You need to go into the BIOS to tell the system to look at the CD Rom Drive for a boot disk....like the XP disk. You usually do this by pressing DEL or ESC right after the systems starts up.

3. Budha

Budha Guest

Is there any way to extract the files off of her hard drive i.e. her pictures and word documents etc? She never backed them up cause she's a girl and is nieve about that kinda stuff. I wanted to make sure before I cleared the HD.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Hmm...not sure about laptop drives, especially when the machine won't boot. If it were a desktop machine I'd say yes and could help but I dunno what to do about a laptop drive. Sorry.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

6. Budha

Budha Guest

ok so basically with that thing you linked to me, all I'm going to have to do is pull her HD out of hte lap top, hook it up to my PC w/ the adapter and it should let me access her entire HD even though it wont boot on her lap top? Remember it comes up to that blue screen that I put up every time we boot it.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yes. Even though the Windows on that drive may be fubar'd and never boot again, as long as the hard drive is physically working and the file system isn't corrupted, you'll be able to browse the drive and drag files off of it.