I'm getting rid of this POS ford F150 supercrew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Zimmy76, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I've owned this truck since June of 04, and I need to take it back to the shop for the 4th time in the last 3 months. The truck was running fine friday night, I took it through an automatic car wash, then it started acting funny. The truck now physically shakes when I'm driving it, the engine sounds fine, although it seems to hesistate now when I step on the acclerater. The service engine light came on again after driving it for 5 miles after the car wash. This is the second time the service engine light has come on in the last 3-4 months--first time I had a cyclinder misfiring.

I've probably put 2 grand into this thing to keep it running smoothly and I'm tired of putting cash into it only to turn around and put more cash into it. When the truck is running fine I love it, however it seems I'm having to take it to the shop at least once every 6 weeks.

Right now these are the trucks/cars I'm thinking about getting

F250 with diesel
    Ranger with 4.0
    Dodge 2500 with diesel
    Honda Accord coupe

I'll probably end up with another truck as I have a 2500 pound trailer and a ranger would have trouble pulling it.

2. kl

kl New Member

Things occur. Isn't it still under warranty? Usually what happens is the engine gets wet and the water gets down into the spark plug area or shorts the coil out. When I stopped working at the Lincoln dealer last year, they still didn't offer boots without the coils.

What were the problems the other times you took it in? Was it under warranty?

One life lesson, vehicles take money one way or another. They break if you don't maintain them (it's more than just oil changes). Either you spend the money or the manufacturer does with the warranty work, it's your choice. I've got a '98 1/2 ton Ram. I had to rebuild the rear axle a couple years ago, dealer wanted $1000, but I did it for about $250 in the garage (mainly pinion bearings). I've got 125k on it, and it's been a good truck, but I still have to put some parts into it once in a while (tie rod ends this winter).

FWIW, the F250 7.3L pickups are very reliable. I've seen many with 300k on them running fine.

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Having an F150 I can tell you from experience that if anything gets down into the spark plugs it will run just like you described. Also the plug wires can be bad for popping off the plugs. If thats the case buy some good plug wires and replace them.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're having problems (and are not alone) with ford, so why would you consider another?

Just go grab a Nissan Frontier or Nissan Titan (depending on if you need a compact or fullsize truck, both pull 6500 and 9500 lbs, respectively) and end your misery.

5. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

:werd:

My Frontier has just under 70k and has never seen the inside of the shop for anything other than oil changes and routine service.

6. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

Just thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.

I was having a really crappy day that day, and the truck acting up was the icing on the cake. Anyway I don't know what was wrong with it, had to have been water in something; cause I drove the truck over 130 miles today and the problem has gone away and the "serivce engine soon" light is no longer on.

I do want to get a bigger truck one day, but I will be keeping this truck for a couple more years.

thanks for all the help and suggestions

7. uptown

uptown

I have an 02 Harley supercrew, have never had a problem with it. She is running as strong as the day I got it.

8. haha, what a dumbass

People still havent learned that brand name means almost nothing when it comes to who's more reliable :rolleyes: (Unless its like, a daewoo or something :eek3: )