I'm getting real tired of these viruses/hackers...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Aug 12, 2003.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I mean I simply don't have time for this shit. One of my servers that I was having problems getting VPN to work on has got a IRC bot working off of it (strangely enough no warez - damn!). I've known about it for awhile but I simply don't have time to deal with it. With this latest attack, I'm pretty sure the others are patched fine, but to be honest I don't know for sure - and as I said, I don't have time for this shit.

These fucking assholes need to find another hobby - I suppose if this was my only task, I should be grateful but as with most people, my primary function is not to keep up with security.

Anyone else tired of staying one step ahead?

2. Altair

Altair Guest

I had 12 virii when I cleaned today. last week, I had none. But, what can you do. (besides not download stupid shit, like I do :p)

3. MP

MP New Member

it's a part of computers and always will be

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Agreed. Whether we like it or not, this is something that we are going to have to keep up with for as long as we are in the industry.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Thankfully I haven't been working in the administration side long enough to encounter anything like this. I know my day is coming though. Our systems are wide open to the Internet. :hs:

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

One day, you will be fucked...and you will put in a 70+ hour work week to fix it...then you will take a week vacation, and spend the money from the overtime.

7. CompiledMonkey

All of the machines in our domain have a good schedule of getting updates from MS. We also have Norton Corp edition sending updates every couple hours to the lab machines. All of our Windows servers get updates every night. Not saying we're not going to get something, because I know we will. But at least we're doing something to prevent whatever we can. :dunno: Although, our lab machines should not be seen from the web.

8. eof

eof New Member

do you want some cheese with that whine?

9. CompiledMonkey

I like cheese! :hs:

10. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I like wine :hs:

11. 5Gen_Prelude

You want some brass knuckles with that fist?

The problem is that I don't get overtime, so if something happens it's my ass, my time. Computers weren't always like this BTW - hackers used to hack servers for the thrill of getting into something they shouldn't of; now it's all about being malicious - that's what pisses me off.

12. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

And this hasn't affected us at all since our firewall has blocked most of it. We had a couple of the guys with laptops that take them home get infected, but other than that we're :cool:

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

It's a risk you take. Something you should have known before you took the job. :dunno:

14. CompiledMonkey

I'm going around right now installing the patches for this new worm. :hs:

15. CompiledMonkey

We're all set. We have a server that downloads all of the MS patches and stores them locally. When a patch comes out for a certain level or higher, we push it out to all of the machines in our domain. Basically the same thing happens with Norton. All systems good here. :cool:

~40 lab machines
    ~25 faculty machines
    ~10 staff machines
    ~15 servers

16. 5Gen_Prelude

Not really - it wasn't a requirement 5 years ago - it just developed into it. LIke I said, if I was being paid to keep up with it, I wouldn't like it but I'd also know it was contributing to my job security. This does nothing but piss me off and take away my time from doing what I really should be doing.

Then again, I'm on vacation, so fuck it! :rofl:

17. CompiledMonkey

Damn straight. Enjoy yourself!

18. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...atleast you have a job.... unemployed for the 3rd month straight.... :sadwavey:

19. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i quit my old tech job... and now im working manual labour...

5gen if u need help, and ur hiring, im willing to commute to vancouver :big grin: ill do whatever, whatever it takes :x:

20. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

tech jobs are way eaiser than most other jobs
    and not getting hacked is so easy
    try to stay below radar
    and just block every port you dont need on your router
    and the ones you do need
    make sure the daemon running has no currently known holes
    and ur good

and not getting viri is also easy
    if you download crap (stuff off kaza or untrustable web sites) then just get a virius checker and check the things for virius'

21. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Meh, every time someone exploits a big MS-sponsored security hole I cheer. I hope eventually one of two things will happen:
    a) people will realize that they're riding MS's cock by using Windows since MS doesn't fix holes until someone takes advantage of them and switch to something else (Mac/Linux/BSD/whatever, doesn't matter, they're all better than Windows).
    b) MS will realize that they can't keep releasing products with big holes in them and expect people (especially big corporate clients that rely on them to do business) to buy them.

That's the dream anyway. Who knows if/when it'll happen :dunno:

22. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I'm also sick of this shit, this is what my server zone alarm looks like......

[​IMG]

23. 5Gen_Prelude

Linux will eventually get attackd Penguin - it's just a matter of time.

24. CompiledMonkey

Incorrect. Speaking purely about home users, which easily make up most of the computing population, there is no way you'll see them switch from Microsoft to some random Linux distrobution or BSD. Most of them can barely use their Windows machine, lets not even think of a UNIX variant. Mac would be a good choice for many of them, but compatibility would be an issue for many.

Regardless of whether the Linux crowd wants to admit it or not, Linux is not a viable solution for your average home user. Windows is the only OS, excluding Mac, which makes computing easy enough for home users.

I agree. And I think they have realized this. I would expect Longhorn to be much more secure out of the box than XP is. I think 2003 Server (esp IIS 6) goes a long ways to promoting their new way of thinking on security. Security is a two way street though. Sure, Windows was open for this Blaster worm, but a fix was released more than a month ago. It isn't Microsoft's problem if the SAs can't keep the machines up to date on patches. I know the department I work in had no instances of Blaster on any of the machines we monitor. Why? Because we have a central server which gets the latest Symantec updates and Windows updates 24/7. Every night those are pushed out to all of the clients in our domain. Other groups need to be more proactive about this, instead of waiting until something happens.

As 5Gen said, Linux will get their share someday. Just wait until they have a solid userbase like Windows.

25. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I agree actually, Linux in its current form isn't really feasible for most home users. However, OSX is BSD and it's incredibly easy to use, so obviously if there was big home user interest in having a *nix-based system it could be made possible. Also, if more people started switching over to Macs, compatibility would become less and less of an issue, as software developers would see the large Mac user-base and begin to develop software for them that mimics what they were using before on Windows.

Yup, I think MS is moving on this somewhat too. I mean, XP has been out for what, like a year now, and this is the first really big exploit anyone's done on it. Took them a little while to find a hole this time (albeit when they did find it, it was one big hole). Personally, I think that XP shouldn't have had that hole in the first place, who cares if there was a patch a month ago, a hole that big shouldn't be left open when you put the product in the box. But, yea, at least they did find in somewhat good time. The MS systems certainly seem to be improving now that they've moved entirely away from the 9x base towards the NT base side. Hopefully that trend will continue.