MMA I'm getting discouraged (short rant)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by misha, Nov 26, 2008.

1. misha

misha New Member

so after training at my boxing gym for 2 solid months, with every session i start to realize how much i dont know and how much i suck at it. Last night my coach was getting really frustrated because of my inability to hit the mitts fast enough and with the right combination, then he told me at the end that weight training is making me tense. I can tell he's not overly excited when he trains me. I'm gonna push on with it though and hopefully break through the barrier and get my proper rhythm. I do want to become good at it.

2. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

maybe you need a different coach? maybe his coaching style isn't suited for you..

i dont know jack about boxing (except watching it) but im sure its like most things where u suck for a while and then one day it kinda clicks

3. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Try watching nbd on loop for a good 4 hours before training. Work for me every time.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

coaching boxing is 80% knowledge, 20% being able to communicate that knowledge.

If you are slow on the mitts you are likely trying to hit the mitts hard. I used to have that problem a lot.
    Focus on your breathing, that should come first.
    Make sure you are relaxed all over, shoulders on down.
    Dont try and hit it hard, the faster you hit the mitt the louder it will pop.

I dont think lifting weights is your problem. take a few days off training, it will help you let go of the bad habits, then go in and give it a shot.

5. teep

teep New Member

everyone learns at their own pace. just keep at it, keep working hard, and one of these days it'll just come to you. it will almost feel like it happened over night and soon you'll be watching new guys wondering why it's so hard for them to learn to throw a punch correctly.

6. tkluu

tkluu New Member

the more you relax your body, the faster your combinations will be

you're still new too, so you might still thinking a lot too instead just it coming naturally

7. tkluu

tkluu New Member

and handspeed takes time to develop

8. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

If you're hitting the pads at your own pace with good solid form...I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep at it and speed will follow.

If you're trying to punch a hole in the mitts...go for speed and not power. My coach would always say that power comes from speed. When I work mitts I don't even hit hard. I don't care about the popping sounds and shit. All I care about it that I hit the mits, hit them fast as fuck, and I focus on pulling back my arms to cover up.

9. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

And it's the first thing to go. I tryed hitting a bag awhile ago and it was pathetic :o

And to the OP, like others have said try to relax. If you feel yourself tense up just take a second and let everything hang loose from your neck down. I was always guilty of this when I was in groups with people higher skilled, because I wanted to measure up to them and their expectations. Try to recognize it when it is happening and correct it.

10. misha

misha New Member

I have a hard time relaxing. its by nature. it takes me a lot of time and work to develop coordination. dancing, soccer, and now boxing.

11. tkluu

tkluu New Member

footwork seems to go first for me

12. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

shadow box with some 5lb weights, it'll come back

13. BCIT

BCIT Guest

are you a girl?

14. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I understand BCIT course load is a son of a bitch, but come on man. We already went over this in the other thread, it's a boy!

Oh and . what everyone is saying about mitt work, and giant dot to checkii's post. I was making that mistake for a long time and couldn't figure out why.

15. BCIT

BCIT Guest

oh ya, slavic names :o

16. BCIT

BCIT Guest

I remember there was this big muscle bound dude with neck tattoos named Nikita :mamoru:

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member