SRS I'm getting axiety over my school / career

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

Im getting so sick over this. Its keeping me awake. I'm in a community college getting my AA. Time is running out I have a year left and I'm still undecided on what I want to do with my career. And basically I can't pick a major in regular college because I have no idea what to do. I have no help or advice in my life. Are there any places that I could research careers? I don't really like school. I just want to find out what my passion is and turn it into a career.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you don't know what to do, just go for the job field that will generate the most amount of money for you. That way you'll at least secure the future for yourself. After that you can always decide on something else.

3. northw3st

northw3st New Member

welcome to the real world. it aint easy.

4. Julius

Julius Guest

A year is ample time. You need to sit down (possibly with others) and figure out what you have a passion for.

5. Pwen

Pwen Guest

You should get that AA.

6. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

Sounds like a quarter life crisis. if it makes you feel better, most people don't settle into their final profession till about 33.

7. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

it's normal

8. Daria

Daria New Member

As previously mentioned, this is completely normal.

Definitely finish what you are currently doing. Do not let it go to waste, by quitting before you are finished.

There are some websites you can find to help you choose a career path. I don't know any good ones offhand, but you can google for career guidance or something along those lines. Just be careful, because alot of them try to get you to buy a subscription or software.

You can always take Dark's advice and get into a field that you can do that will make you the most amount of money, then switch to your ideal career later, when you figure it out. Try to make a large enough amount of savings that you can afford to go back to school and provide for yourself if / when you do choose to change careers. Ex. buy a small condo / rent a cheap place, don't blow all the money you make, etc.

9. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

It's very hard to just "think" of your passion. Honestly, the best thing to do is to just finish up the AA and then go from there. See what type of jobs you can get in your area and go from there. Who knows, maybe you'll randomly find something you love doing (happens to a lot of people) or maybe not. If you search for it too much, you'll never find it, but if you just don't worry about it and live, you'll probably end up finding something (my dad's entire life was changed by one little newspaper ad).

10. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

Thanks guys. If anyone has some websites please post. :)

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

This is the worst fucking advice I've ever heard

mod edit:The advice isn't bad, you merely just hold a grudge against me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

My suggestion: What do you find interesting? What do you find fascinating?

Most people say to do what you find fun, but that's usually not very fulfilling. What you should do is something which you find fascinating, but also challenges you.

People, especially men, are happiest when they're overcoming challenges, not playing games or buying expensive toys

13. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I never could understand the advice of doing what you find fun. That means I'd be playing video games, drinking, and chilling with people all the time.

You gotta find something which you can tolerate and pays well. If you take something your really love and make it your work, a lot of the fun will get sucked out because now it's work. Instead go for something which you won't really hate and pays well. Use the funds to do the shit you want to do.

14. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

that only makes sense if there is no job out there which you would find challenging and interesting, then you have to sacrifice like that.

15. mikecraig26

mikecraig26 New Member

the first thing you need to do is ask yourself what your passion is.... find a job/career that you'll enjoy doing without even feeling that you are working. it has to be something that is your natural skill and one of your strengths.