I'm getting addicted to running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KGB ate my bread, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

:noes:

I'm running 3 times a week at this point and have been trying to up my mileage by 10% each week, last week was around 8 miles, this week should break 9 (ran 3.35 miles this morning, plan to run at least another 5k on Friday).

It's starting to get fun now that my body's really gotten use to all the mileage. I'm looking forward to being able to hopefully do some really long runs by the end of the month.

I won't have reached my goal of being able to run a half marathon/15K by the year's end.. but I definitely think I'll be able to participate in both this next spring with the way things are headed :eek5:

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

At some point you'll feel like you have limitless endurance and you can run forever and you just fucking turn on the gas and run like 1.5 miles so fast in the middle of a 4-5 mile run.

then you feel like shit and realize: no, no i can't run forever

it's a cool feeling when it happens though

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

getting addicted to losing muscle, awesome bro :hs:

4. KGB ate my bread

already lost a lot of it earlier this year when I got lazy and bailed on my pathetic daily routine. I'm trying to get back to where I'm working out my upper body more but I've been lazy :hsd:

5. KGB ate my bread

My pace sure as hell has picked up.

when I began.. I was running 10~ minute miles to get the distance I wanted. Lately, my avg speed has had me running 8:34~ per mile which I'm excited about. I'm tempted to slacken on my pace some to see if I can manage running 40 minutes or longer non stop

If I can manage to quit smoking soon, I'll really see my endurance improve. IT's probably hurting me the most :(

6. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

That shit has only happened to me once or twice in my lifetime.

7. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Evidence shows that your testosterone levels only start to drop when you're running 8 hours or more a week.

Edit: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/A...e_Changes_by_Concurrent_Endurance_and.30.aspx

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. dru

dru I want to blah blah blah

you=gay

9. dru

dru I want to blah blah blah

:rofl:

10. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Steady state cardio is still stupid though. The only benefit from steady state cardio you get over high intensity exercise is being able to run farther.

11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Thanks for the update Forest.

12. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Sure but not really relevant.. there is really nobody with any really significant amount of muscle that can really run for shit. You can have some moderate size but to be good at running youre gonna have to be a pretty light guy.

13. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Agreed. Just pointing out that it's a common misconception that running will inhibit muscular hypertrophy or strength. When you're at the bodybuilder level, yes, running is going to make you lose muscle.

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/usain-boltid.jpg
    Usain Bolt has a great physique even though he holds the world record for the 400m.

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

He's also a sprinter, yes? They do a lot of weight lifting.

15. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

I'm addicted to drugs

16. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

My point isn't that he got muscular arms by sprinting. My point is that he holds the world record for the 400m while having a lot of size. This means that muscle isn't going to just disappear when you add in some running, because I'd wager to say that he runs more than anyone on this forum. I'm not saying that running is going to make you gain muscle, just saying that putting it into your program isn't going to sap your strength and turn you into a weakling.

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Bolt does not have a lot of size dude.

Then again considering your size.. I guess he's hyoooooge.

But yes, you can run and still be pretty muscular.

18. devman

devman New Member

He runs the 100m and 200m, and I doubt he does much long distance running as he is a sprinter

19. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Sorry, he doesn't hold the world record for the 400m dash. But he does run it.

http://www.singaporeathletics.com/world-news/usain-bolt-400-meters

And if you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that I advocate interval training over steady state cardio. The threadstarter is only running 8 miles a week currently, so even if he is doing steady state cardio I doubt it would have much negative effect on weight training, if any.

20. TZ

TZ Banned

o god superchode again :io:

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Man, I wish I could run decent distance again :(

Ever since my asthma flared up last year my running has gone to complete shit. I even get winded lifting weights now and shortness of breath comes on and kicks me in the face.
    :rofl::hs:

I used to run 3 miles a few times a week pretty regularly though. I miss that shit. It was a GREAT stress reliever and means of clearing your head.

I'm trying to get back into it, but I am still waiting for my doc to figure out what's going on with my lungs.

22. NUDES

NUDES New Member

You gotta be one of the most broken dudes i've seen post here. Have you always had so many little nagging health issues? Fuck that lol

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, for the most part. When you grow up with allergies and asthma you tend to have a lot of accompanying health issues throughout your life that go in accordance to the original problem. Sinus infections, bronchitis, shortness of breath, etc... are all sub-issues of a larger issue.
    Shit sucks bad.

The most frustrating part is that I USED to have an amazing immune system. Never got sick, had great lungs, was in great health overall. My allergies and asthma was very controlled. Then just over a year ago something happened (not sure what) and shit hit the fan. Ever since I have been having sinus infections and bronchitis non-stop and get winded or short of breath just fucking lifting weights!
    Fucked up part is that I am 2 daily asthma meds and I still can't breath.

I'm getting told like 10 things right now.

One doc says for some reason my allergies are getting severe and causing all these problems. Hence the thread about my food allergies and special diet.

Another doc says something triggered my asthma to come back worse than ever. But you would think the meds would have fixed this then.

Another doc thinks it's all stressed related and subconscious anxiety is causing excessive mucus production and shortness of breath.

Who the fuck knows. I just miss being able to run/workout/play basketball without worrying about not being able to breath. Or being able to feel what's it's like to breath through my nose normally and not have insane post nasal drip.

Maybe I have low test :mamoru::mamoru:

24. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Seriously. Wtf. This whole thread is a cluster.

1. If you run any kind of real distance on a regular basis, you're probably going to lose some muscle mass.

2. Sprinting is a totally different ball game.

3. If you like distance running, go for it. Just don't expect to be a competitive bodybuilder/strongman/powerlifter.

25. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

There is a point to steady state running if you're an endurance athlete. Low and slow has a time and place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.