I'm getting a scooter soon

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Subie Driver, May 20, 2005.

1. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Piaggio BV200, 200cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke with 21hp, 80 mph, 60-70 mpg (main reason I'm getting it), looks pretty nice, too. I know, I'm a wuss or whatever for not getting a "real" bike, but I've never driven a motorcycle on the road before, and just twice on a dirtbike, so I don't want to deal with getting used to driving it in traffic while also trying to learn how to shift. The twist-and-go just feels like the best way to start. And this scooter should hold me for a while, yet also be pretty easy to learn on. Just need to convince the wife now that I'm not going to get creamed by an SUV. Anyways, just figured I'd post in here, see if there are any other wusses on OT, or if I'm the only one.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/bv200.cfm

2. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

NICE, have fun with it. Ive seen people do some crazy stuff with those things.
    anyway once again nice scooter

3. ProFX

ProFX New Member

21hp will be dangerous on the road. I'd say more dangerous than one or two messed up shifts while you learn.

4. Subie Driver

How so? I just want something that I'll be able to drive for a while, and make longer commutes easily. 21 hp doesn't seem like that much. I read somewhere that it was timed (just a guy with a stopwatch, nothing fancy) as doing 0-40 in about 7 seconds, and 0-60 in about 15 seconds. So it's not like it's super quick or fast, it just has enough power to get out of it's own way when need be. It's not a small scooter, by the way, it weighs in at about 350 lb.

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I dont think 21hp is going to be any problem at all.
    GO FOR IT

6. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Oh BTW mind if I ask you about the price you are paying?

7. Subie Driver

Piaggios website has the MSRP at $4500, but the dealership I'm going to is asking $5000. Haven't gone in to start negotiating yet, but I'm aiming for $5000 with the optional rear carrier and a cover. But we'll see, I don't know how good I am at negotiating.

8. ProFX

ProFX New Member

You guys seem to have misunderstood my message. My fault for not making it clear.
    21hp is not much.

> it's not super fast of quick either

This is exactly the problem.
    I was not commenting that it was too much, it is not enough!

I'm not trying to sound crazy, but in bike land cars just don't see you. They will merge into your lane without looking. Cut you off, pull out in front of you. ESPECIALLY scooters as they are generally lower than a normal bike.

I find it highly important that I have at least a bit of poke to get out of such troubles. Braking quickly is rarely the best option especially if you have a tiny scooter front wheel and almost useless scooter front brakes.

I didn't start on the cbr900 fireblade I have now so please don't think i'm telling you to get an r6 or better. I started on a naked 4-stroke suzuki 250 and rode it for over a year.

My 250 was friendly to ride and had decent torque for a 4cyl 250 and was rated about 38hp. - enough for commuting and generally safe riding on the road.

I also know 250s aren't super-common over in the states but most people don't have too much trouble finding one. In summary, I think you will be safer and have more enjoyment on a real bike. It doesn't take long to learn to shift and clutch. It should all be covered in your traning/license course and test.

9. Subie Driver

Cool, thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I know it's not super powerful, but it's got enough power to get out of it's own way. Actually, I just ran the numbers, and this scooter actually has a little better power/weight ratio than my car; each hp on my car is pushing about 18 lbs, and each hp on this scooter is only pushing about 16.5 lbs. Also, it's not a small scooter, it's actually pretty beefy, I went to look at one, and was pretty impressed. Getting it in red for visability, plus a red helmet and a red/black jacket with reflective pieces on it. Not going to be starting right of on the freeway, either, I'll work up to that. But I used to ride my bicycle all the time, so I know a thing or two about cars not seeing you, and how to pay really good attention to what's going on. Eventually, I'd like to get a nice cruiser, as crotch rockets just don't really do anything for me, and will probably be going with this scooter as my starter bike. But thanks again for your input, I really do appreciate it.