Im getting a bike. and Im impatient about it.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by gamicweevil, May 26, 2008.

1. gamicweevil

gamicweevil wet pussy

So, Im a new rider. Never ridden a motorcycle before. I really have no idea where to begin to look for a bike and what i want in it. So Im trying to find someone willing to tell me a little based on their experiance. I would rather talk to someone on the phone, so if youre willing to do that, PM me please or post in here. Im definitely open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

3. gamicweevil

gamicweevil wet pussy

im looking at yamaha R6s. 2007s, specifically. used is ok.

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Aslong as you super respect the power, that will be fine. Take a class first.

5. gamicweevil

gamicweevil wet pussy

how do i go about finding a class?

6. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

The R6s is detuned... It should be about right. But do be aware of your power. I believe the MSF has a website. Google is your friend.

7. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

8. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

R6 is a terrible first bike. and that includes the r6s. its not so much "detuned", its basically just the previous model (or is it the previous-previous now?), which was way too much bike then too.

Get a ninja 250.
    Its your first bike, not your last bike. get something small and learn on it for a while, then sell it and get something bigger and nicer.
    Also, buy used. you are almost certain to at least drop your bike, and you will hate it if its a shiny new one (plus expensive to fix/replace all the plastics).

9. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I second the vote for something a little smaller and older, like maybe a Ninja 500. The 250 might be nice right off the bat, but you will probably outgrow it very quickly, while the 500 should be a good beginner bike and last you a little longer. And then sell thet to some other n00b and get something bigger. But remember, sportbikes aren't the only kind of bikes out there, and I've always been partial to cruisers. If that interests you, look for an older Honda Shadow or Yamaha Virago, probably in the 600-750cc range. Yes, I know it's a bigger engine, but not so high strung and geared a little differently that a sportbike. Anyways, just throwing that out there.

10. gamicweevil

gamicweevil wet pussy

thanks for the input! :)

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

msf first without question

12. 7960

7960 New Member

13. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

So you never ridden, but you want a 600 crotch rocket? Why not get something like a Suzuki GS500F or Kawasaki EX500 which isn't quite so powerful?
    A 100 horsepower 600cc crotchrocket isn't your ideal starterbike.

Remember, while the R6 is pretty and all, save it for another day when you can handle it. You have only one life after all.

14. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i'm starting on a ninja 250 btw... very forgiving

15. laydback

laydback Active Member

if your smart enough to keep it under 6k rpm until your comfortable on it and how it handles than i dont see the big deal... i started on a 600, alot of it is maturity level imo...gotta be mature enough to respect the machine, the people around you and the pavement

16. gamicweevil

gamicweevil wet pussy

like i said, im just starting out. that includes learning shit about bikes in general :hs:

17. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

bullshit.
    maturity or "respect for the bike" doesnt help for shit when you have no skills/experience in how to handle the bike, what to do in an emergency situation (or what NOT to do), and no idea how the bike responds to even small mis-inputs.

You can putz about at under 6k rpm on a 600cc supersport, and you MIGHT end up ok, but you will most certainly not be learning very fast.

get a used 250 or 500cc bike, learn on if for a year or two, sell it for nearly what you paid for it (assuming you keep it in one piece), and THEN buy something nicer/bigger. Not only is it safer, but you will learn a lot more, a lot faster.

plus a ninja 250 is NOT a "boring" bike. its faster than most cars on the road, and does fine on highways and/or with bigger riders on it. Its only boring if you are only in it for the image, and let other dipshits tell you whether you're having fun or not.

18. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

Many new riders say they will "respect the power". That may be well and true in some cases, but it's not about respecting the power. It's the fact that you're a new rider. And you will make newbie mistakes. Having that 600 with a twitchy throttle will only exacerbate your newbie mistakes making it much more dangerous and leave you little time to recover. There are a handful of new riders who will get lucky and not hurt themselves on their first 600-but those are the exceptions.

If you were responsible you respect the power, you would start on a 250 or 500. Or if you're intent on getting at least a 600 for your first bike, look into the Kawasaki Ninja 650R, it's a sport bike, just not a super sport. Or the Suzuki SV650. They're certainly not the worst choices for a first bike.

After you've taken the MSF course and gotten the basics down you could easily sell that bike for close to what you paid for it and get your 600.

You only have one skin, you would hate yourself for wrecking the shiny new sport bike and ending up with skin graphs. Get used. I'll get off my soapbox now.

19. laydback

laydback Active Member

a yea or two to learn how to ride and a control a bike, lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. liquidPoop

21. laydback

laydback Active Member

the best beginner bike is something that the rider feels comfortable on.... picking a beginning bike for someone is bullshit, he may not be comfortable on small 250 or 500...everyone learns at a different pace, riders should take a class and then pick something comfortable to them because no matter what bike you pick you can kill yourself on it reguardless if its a 250 or a 1000

22. liquidPoop

comfortable in what? you talking confidence or physical size? because 600cc+ sport bikes are not gonna be better at either for a beginner.

I agree get what you want but when someone comes in here having no clue on where to start I'm gonna point them in the direction which IMO is gonna be the smoothest start. I personally think its easier to start out on something forgiving and able to push yourself to learn faster rather than limp around on a bigger bike because you are intimidated... but like you said people learn differently I guess. just throwing out suggestions for the first post :dunno:

In my opinion the only reason to start off with a sportier bike is cause you are either worried about how you look or are strapped for cash or something. a 500 or 650 is more than capable of speeding past any car, and even a 250 in most cases

23. mtnbikekid08

Then sure as hell no R6 for you. Get a 250

24. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

respect it and you'll be fine.

25. mtnbikekid08

no