I'm formating and reinstalling winxp.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have never formatted from a floppy disk so I'm going that route to see if it fixes the multitude of problems I have.

I copied a version of dos 6.0 to a disk from www.bootdisk.com (cool site btw).

Once I boot up on that disk what is the command to format the HD? It's like format c: / (the slashes are what I don't know) I'm not sure if I want to remove the boot sector or whatever but I want to do this as thorough as I can so I'd like you guys advice. (since everyone on OT loves to say format c:/ :rolleyes: )

I don't have a bootdisk for winxp (can't find where to make it.. I though it was in add/remove programs but it's not :dunno: ) so if that's needed in group with the dos disk (which has universal cd-rom drivers on it) I'll need to know where that is also.

I copied the doss.exe file onto the floppy. Just to clarify.. the .exe is all that's needed on the floppy for bootup. (I'll test it to make sure also . :) )

Thanks for your help :)

2. elitesama

elitesama Guest

xp doesnt have dos just pop in the cd and there is a partition manager on there so u can delete/format partitions

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've had problems in the past doing a "format" from a winxp cd that runs from xp. (not bootable) ~don't ask.

I'm done formatting and have installed drivers but I'm thinking I'm going to stick with win2000 server. Even though I like the do-hickies in winxp I like the control of win2000 and hopefully it will run better.

Anyway, I can always upgrade to xp if I decide so.