I'm finally gonna switch over to the Mac side of life, a few questions..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ok_computer, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

So, being a photography student, and getting more and more serious with this stuff, I feel the need to get a Mac. It's about time I got a new computer, but what really put me over the edge was a conversation with a potential employer the other day. He owns the company that does all of the photography for Hockey Canada (team canada, etc), and also the Edmonton Oilers, and he told me that I'd have a job with him if I was working on a Mac. I figure now would be the time to switch over, and it would be nice to have one before school starts. I just had a few questions.

PS: All of these questions are about a new MBP.

For some high in volume image storage and in depth image editing, I know that a 160GB, 5400rpm hard drive won't quite be sufficient.. so I'll be storing most of my work on an external hard drive. Are there any compatibility issues with this? Will every ext. HD work with Macs? Or is there a specific model/company I should stick with?

RAM seems RIDICULOUSLY expensive for the MBP's compared to what I'm used to.. what are my other options? Or is every stick of RAM gonna work whether it's going into a PC or a Mac?

I think I've heard that the new OS is coming out in October, or somewhere around there.. Should I wait until then to buy? Or will Mac be doing any kind of free upgrade to Leopard? Someone told me any Mac bought within the 6 months previous to Leopard's release, gets a free upgrade to the new OS. Is it worth waiting for or should I just get one now? I'd like to have one come Sept. 4, so that I had it for school. Another thing I noticed is with that Developer Educational discount thing (theres a 5 page thread about it here), you get a software discount, so should I just use that on Leopard?

Speaking of that Developer Discount, is that the way to go? I'm a student, and I seem to qualify for it, it seems like a great deal.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get some more questions before I finally buy, but this is a start, any help would be great.

Thanks

2. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Oh, and do I need to buy the Airport Extreme thing to connect to a wireless network?

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Any external drive should do...Most of us will recommend a drive with Firewire and USB as opposed to one with just USB due to transfer speed.

RAM is RAM...you do not need to use Apple's RAM. Newegg has some of the best prices out there for ram.

The discount is nice...I personally haven't used the Developer discount but it seems to be the way to go since you'll get Leopard.

4. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Well I work at a pro photography store, which is also a Mac dealer, but markup is NOTHING on them, and the developer discount seems even better than our cost.

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i think the 6 months free upgrade to leopard is more like 2 weeks prior

6. robwormald

robwormald New Member

1 - any external hard drive will do - if you want top of the line, lacie and several others make 1-2TB drives, and you can run them off an eSATA card in the expresscard slot for super fast transfers... its also got FW800 and FW400 for external storage.

2 - you won't get a free upgrade to leopard... don't worry about it. its $129 dollars, and it will be worth every penny.

3 - the developer program gets you a copy of the OS and a one time hardware discount, so it's worth it for sure.

4 - crucial for RAM

5 - it'll connect to any 802.11 network, including n. airport extreme is nice if you're gonna be all 802.11n, otherwise not worth it.

if you need a new computer now, wait until tomorrow to see what comes out, then buy one. the MBP's won't change much by leopard release i don't think.

7. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

:bowdown: awesome. thanks

8. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

why the fuck would a mac be better for photography? :o

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I dont really even know :hsugh:

But literally 90% of studios, professional photographers are one Mac. EVeryone is.

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

Aperature + Photoshop + Sessy ACD

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

and dot.

12. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

Also check out the mac refurb section for some marked down deal aswell.

13. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

LR > Aperture