SRS Im failing college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jadix, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

i have a 2.6 GPA, but i keep getting C-'s in my classes, and i need at least Cs to move on to the next class in the series. Im a third year computer science major, but i haven't gotten into the upper division courses yet because i've had to retake so many classes.

Beyond that is the fact that i dont want a career in computers anymore. I used to spend all my free time on my computer during highschool because i didn't want to be a carpenter like my father. I also didn't live in town, so i didn't have anybody to hang out with when i was at home.

So what the fuck would I do if I dropped out? Pretty much the exact opposite: become a musician. I know, I know, its hard to make it, hardly anybody does, i know. My goal would not be to become the next kurt cobain, or be in the next RHCP. My goal would just be to get by on it. I honestly believe i have the talent and the passion to do it. To at least get a record out and make a living. I play bass, and theres always a band in need of a bassist. Im currently in a band that has played three shows, and people talked to us afterwards saying "that was amazing!" "do you have a demo?" "i want to play you on my radio show" "that kicked ass!".

Im just going to see what happens i guess.

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Might as well finish the degree dude. Only have like 1 year left right? Even if you come out with bad grades, you still have a degree.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's cuz computer science is a hard degree. If you finish that you'll have something to be proud of. So what if you don't want to code for the rest of your life? Now, your career choices will probably be somewhat limited (ie. you won't likely get a job in finance with a CompSci degree), but you can probably swing the CompSci degree to something you like more.

Here's what I did. I have an Information Systems degree. I worked in systems development for almsot 2 years and I fucking hated it. 50-70 hour weeks of unpaid overtime being grossly underpaid is not my idea of fun. So I quit. I realized that I probably wouldn't get another job in another field, like Finance or Marketing or whatever (because they'd rather hire people with degrees in that area), so I ended up getting a job as a corporate trainer teaching people how to use .NET systems. My IS background is very helpful, but I'm not "in IS" anymore. I'm much happier at my current job and I get paid more, too. Does my IS degree make me better for this job than someone who doesn't have an IS degree? Yes. I understand systems design and I can talk to the developers here and speak their language. Of course, I also had to have the teaching skills, too, but my IS degree is a huge help.

My point is, you can probably find something you like with a CompSci degree that isn't "being a programmer." It will be harder than finding a "programmer" job, but it's doable.

Or you could write software for musicians. You've just combined your music with your CompSci degree. Or work as a sound guy (even tho I think that might be a specific degree). Or something like that. Be on a team of testers or debuggers for sound software. You'd have an advantage because of your degree.

4. stolid_agnostic

stolid_agnostic One who is both stolid and agnostic. Get a diction

dude compsci is one of the HARDEST degrees you can get PERIOD. they don't check your transcripts when they hire you, they don't care that you have a 2.5 when you graduate (or whatever), they just care that you have a piece of paper. just think about that.

also, consider that there are tons of jobs out there that require *A* bachelors degree. they don't care what kind it is, just that you have SOMETHING.....that's what's most important for you now - just get through it, survive it, and move on!

just endure a little longer, even if you hate it, and move on with your life. heck, there is always grad school in something completely different if you want.

5. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I wanted to do CompSci one time but then I found out it everyone was overworked and underpaid. Also they outsource a ton.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It's been my experience that this is not the case anymore. What jobs are you referring to?

7. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

im not worried about my grades. and no, i dont just have 1 year left. i have like 3. The only reason my GPA is a 2.6 is because my failed classes have been retaken and the grades written over. However, i have used all my "retake passes" or whatever the fuck, so i wont be able to do that anymore. This quarter i am taking PSTAT 120A (still have to do B), comp sci 40 (discrete mathematics, this is my second time taking this class), and i have a feeling i will not be getting a C in either of them. Finals are next week.

I dont want a job in an IT position, period. I dont want a job that would ever require or be impressed by a CS degree. Having a degree is better than not, i understand, but i hate this. i dont want this, and im stubborn as hell.

I dont want to make a program for musicians. I want to BE a musician. I am good. I dont say that very often about my skills, but Im serious. Im fuckin good at bass. I can play with anybody in front of anybody. I'll make up a riff in 5 seconds to go along with somebody playing a guitar. When we play live shows, if we run out of practiced songs, ill just start playing something and its never a problem. I just do it. Im good enough to be able to become a professional. If i keep playing as much as i am, im not worried at all about it. Ill work at a music shop and teach lessons if i have to. i dont care about money at all.

8. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

i dont even know why the hell im asking you guys. why would i ask complete strangers what to do with my own life? If you ended up in a job because its secure and has a nice paycheck, then you didn't follow your passion or yourself. You gave in to safety first. You didn't take the risk to be something better.

edit: replace all those "you"s with "I"s.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What the fuck, dude? You ask for support, you get support, and then you slap the people who encouraged you in the face? You're set to fail at more than college.

The people here who are CS/IS professionals (or software engineers, like myself) are what we are because we chose to be that. Fuck you and your "I'm better than you because I'm angsty" bullshit.

If you know what you want to do, go fucking do it and don't whine about how the world isn't letting you have exactly what you want exactly the way you want it.

10. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

dont take it personally. im in a pissy mood. i take back what i said, because i have no idea why you are where you're at. that was a reflection of how I WOULD feel if i were in YOUR situation. In a way, you are better than me because you were able to get your degree and be happy with it. I didn't mean to come off as thinking i was better than you, i have a hard time communicating sometimes.

I feel like i would never be able to forgive myself for not going for what i love. And i also feel i would never regret taking that shot. If i had a degree, it would be that much easier to get into a job that i dont want. if i dont have one, i'd be desperate. good art, much of the time, comes from desperation. And i wouldn't be dead in the water, im GOOD at music. its not just a random leap of faith.

I'm not whining. I'm madly trying to decide what is best.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Sounds like you've made up your mind.

But keep this in mind: being good does not = making money or being popular.

I'm good at guitar. I've played since I was in 5th grade (I'm 26 now). I've taken formal lessons, rocked out on stage with a band, taught private lessons, written songs, studied music theory, etc. I'm good. Am I famous? No.

I listen to the radio and it pisses me off. There is so much shit that absolutely sucks, like complete crap music that is so popular and the people in the bands are so famous that I cannot believe it. I just saw an article about how the guitarrist in the White Stripes is "one of the best around." I was like you have got to be fucking kidding me. The White Stripes suck. I do not give a shit how you swing the story; they suck. When I can take someone who has never touched a guitar before and have them playing a band's songs within a week, that band sucks.

So my point is, being "good" does not mean you will be successful. Being fucking fantastic does not mean you will be successful. For every suck ass mainstream radio band there are 100 guitar kings practicing in their basement with more talent in their left foot than in the entire aforementioned band.

In fact, I would wager that the better you get, and the more your appreciation for music grows, the less likely you are to become successful. I could get up on stage and play shitty songs with 3 power chords like all the radio bands do and everybody would think I was awesome at guitar, but when I play something with sweep arpeggios or modes over modulating chord progressions, people are like "uh... so, can you play any White Stripes?"

So becoming a successful musician is about a few things, and none of them is "talent:"

1. You have to know the right people (proof: there are tons of people who are way better than the popular crap they play on the radio, yet these good people are not in successful bands because they don't have people offering them record deals)

2. You have to play music people want to hear even if it's not what you like to play (proof: people buy mainstream music even tho it sucks. Heavy jazz is not popular. Progressive metal is not popular. Jet (one of the other worst bands in the world) is popular)

2.5 You have to recognize that the mainstream listening audience has terrible taste in/appreciation for music. (proof: Jet, and the White Stripes are popular)

3. You have to have the x factor. Why does one bassist get chosen for a gig and the other 50 who are equally or more qualified do not? Who knows? But that one guy had something the others didn't.

12. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

just throwing this out there, maybe you can switch majors to something that could be useful? if you're in the engineering school maybe they have an audio engineering concentration or something. if you're good at making music, understanding it etc., and you apparently know a thing or two about computers, it can't hurt to come out with a degree that will help you make music or stuff. plus, it's probably easier than compsci (I may be biased, i'm kindof in compsci, still deciding) anyways, good luck.

13. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

great post, and I agree with you on most of it. Being popular is not what im looking for. I mean sure, id like to make a nice living, but becoming a star is NOT what im looking for. I would hate to be famous and have me getting a haircut make the front page. I'm looking to just play music.

You've tought lessons and played many shows im assuming, so how was that? What is life like for the unpopular musician? Can you get by doing lessons and working at a shop?

14. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

i've thought about it...but im three years into compsci and i dont know what other degree my classes would be good for.

What about a teacher's credential? What kind of degree do you need to go for that?

15. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IN regards to the bolded part, IMO the reason is because you have a dream and computers are not progressing you towards that dream. People that give advice that you should follow through with your degree are simply trying to help keep you from walking away from something that you've already invested a lot of time and effort in.

Getting a degree of any type is difficult because you have to work at it. If you don't like the material or if you have a dominant passion (that is different than your degree) it can be excruciatingly painful to follow through with the degree. I know....I lived this life. I too heard many people tell me to just keep going....don't give up and all that. Looking back, I appreciate their help but they were just wrong. I should have switched degrees....however, I was too immature to sort out what was laziness vs what was my true passion. Being a lazy kid, I would have failed even if I pursued my current degree, comp sci.

If you love music as much as you say and you are as good as you say....why aren't you majoring in music theory or bass or w/e you enjoy??

You seem to have a real passion for music....ok....so what are you going to do about it if you drop CS???? Do you have a plan??? If so, tell us....hopefully we can help you focus so your efforts aren't wasted.

16. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

heh a plan. ya, kinda important. I talked to my dad about it, he thinks i need to finish but wont be mad for doing what i want. so family issues aren't a problem.

I'm in a band right now and we play very well together. we have good energy, and the three shows we've played have blown away our audiences. We are very different from all the other local bands around here, we're not emo, metal, dub-rock, or straight punk. We have an original sound, and when people ask what type of music we play i dont know how to answer. My plan is to get popular around here so that we can network with people. I've personally seen bands around here go from playing for 20-30 people to having a record deal and touring throughout california. These bands are not better than us, they are just different. Talent-wise we're definitely on par.

The music scene in my college town is great. all the houses have student residents and parties happen every weekend. We are planning on playing at least 5 shows next quarter (10 weeks, 5 shows). Next year we have 3 or 4 houses on the main party street who want us playing there. Our other goal is to record a demo. I have talked to a few guys around here who have that capability, but they haven't seen us yet (who really believes someone that they've never seen). Thats why we need to play more shows.

I have a pretty good job, but its on campus at the computer labs so i would have to stay in school to keep it. Staying in school is wasting my money. I try to go to class and take notes, but i end up drawing or writing lyrics etc.

If i changed majors to a music degree, id pretty much have to start college all over again.

The BENEFIT of staying in school is receiving support from family members. Having a job to support myself would take up just as much time as school does, so im torn between dropping out or staying in for awhile. I've payed for all my college so far, but my money is gone and I'd have to take out a loan, which i dont want to do.

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I taught lessons part time when I was in 8th grade. Unlike most guitarrists, I can actually read music, so I would always start students out with that. It was never a real job or anything.

I wouldn't say I've "played many shows." I've played a few, most of which were when I was in high school or before.

I was never a musician by profession. I was just a guy who loved guitar music. I'm not sure what the going rate for lessons is right now... I'd say if you were good enough you could probably charge $20-30 per half hour lesson. I think back in the day when I was in 5th grade my parents paid $15 for a half hour lesson. That was a long time ago so I'm sure inflation has taken over. Of course, if you are famous or super awesome or something you could do seminars and maybe charge a bit more. "Working at a shop" will probably get you $8-10 bucks an hour. I would imagine it would be like working at Guitar Center or something.

I don't know if you could "get by" doing lessons or not. If you charged $20 per half hour and taught for 7 hours a day (give yourself an hour for lunch), that would be $40/hr * 7 hours = $280 a day = $72,000 a year. That's not a bad living and is definitely more than "getting by." Keep in mind that would require 14 students a day, 5 days a week, or 70 students a week. That is NOT easy to find. You will have the students that stick with you, the students that take a few lessons and decide they hate it, and everything in between.

My guitar teacher bought a local music store and moved everything to his studio, so he sold guitars and stuff in addition to teaching. Given his limitied quantity, I'm sure his prices weren't the most competitive. Remember however that the internet did not exist back then so it's not like people price compared online.

My honest advice would be to do the music thing as a side gig, or at least get a part time job with gauranteed income until you can transition full time into music. You don't want to be a starving musician when you're 30.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ Or get a degree and teach music theory in college. Show off by teaching lessons and concepts on your bass that you bring to class. That would be awesome.

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ok...so I ask about your plan and in the end you revert back to why you should/should not stay in school. I believe that everyone should follow their passion but blindly doing so, without a well developed plan, is a recipie for disaster.

There are a crazy amount of people with insane talent that can't get deals/breaks. The band U2 admits that when they were young and unknown, there were plenty of bands that were better musicians than them but U2 knew they had "it". That certain something that makes them different than the other bands. It's not always the best musicians that make it as recording artists.

Ok...so if you switch majors you'll have to basically start over. Welcome to my life and it's not that bad at all. After getting a degree in accounting (which I was only sort of interested in) I went to work for 10 years and found I was still miserable. I hated my life and decided to change it.

So I returned to Uni to pursue CS and I love it. I've never in my life had such high grades and been this excited about school. I don't view my previous degree as a waste. I simply view it as my first path. Sometimes it takes people a while to find their path.

So, when I knew I wanted to pursue computers, I made a plan. I didn't just quit my job and run back to Uni....no....I made a plan to accomplish my goals in my spare time. Then life happened and I was able to pour all my efforts into my dreams.

IMO it's vital that you make out a plan before you do anything else....otherwise you could very likely end up as an old, out of work, former musician that's now selling used cars.

How do you make a plan??? Start with the end goal and work backwards from there. Keep breaking down the big ideas into smaller, more manageable pieces. So start with perhaps a 10 year goal....then break that down to 5 year goals. Then break those down to a sieres of 1 year goals...then 6 months and so on. Obviously you can't be 100% accurate with your goals but this exercise can help you really feel like you are taking control of your life.

I know when I developed my plan, it helped me keep going in a job I hated....why?? Because I now had a plan to get out of my misery. Anyone can endure pain but when there is no end in sight...it becomes seriously depressing. If an end is in sight....one becomes obsessed with ending the pain and moving onto the fun stuff.

20. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

i thought i had a good plan: get a demo, play more shows, keep practicing, but i am still wrestling with my current money situation, which involves staying in school or not.

21. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

i appreciate your thoughts and opinions everyone. i know im kinda coming off as a douchebag, but whatever. you've helped, so thanks.

22. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Finish what you start ,

You've picked a skill so stick to it. The transitions between switching skills add up to a huge waste of time.

don’t get bored and be too stubborn when it comes to achieving goals you set for yourself. severely hate having things incomplete.

Life Is more of a test to challenge your abilities... set a goal and see if you can achieve it.

There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our inherent weakness of purpose.

Never make loose ends in your life, or you'll just end up with nothing, building 1 house complete > building 100 houses only half done.

Complete the course, then you can always say 'i don't want this im going to do something else. If a computer job oppertunity arises you can always say 'ok i could take the job' V.S 'i can't take the job because i don't have a degree'

It doesn't really have to do anything with choice, more with finishing what you've started to get a complete image. Its bad for the record also ' yeah i did this education but quitted half way thru' , in the scenario that you would become (example: engineer) your in your 4th year, then you say to yourself 'hmmm engineering sucks i want to be a architect' it all translates with you having nothing, exept having been wasting a lot of time.

So for me its clear that even if it sucks like hell, just finish the computer course. Try to enjoy and have fun mainly in the constructive things you do. Set challenges for yourself and test your limits. It might even relax you.

23. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Since you've been in school so long I'm sure you've at least taken all the general education courses, right? You could use that to at least get an AA degree so you'll have something to show for it. If you switch majors you would just have to take the upper level classes for that major since you've already gotten the general stuff out of the way.

24. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm at cal poly doing computer science and I will admit it is fucking hard. This is the hardest thing I have ever come across in my life. But I didnt fucking quick. It isn't easy and you will need to be paitent. Take a sleep on it and come back another day. The wonderful thing with computers is you can sleep and they can't. It will be there for a new brain the next day. It also sounds like you need a break. Even though studying is great in all you need to have variety in life to be happy and proud of yourself. If you arent feeling accomplished your studies will reflect it. Go run miles and try to get faster times or something to get something to get the endorphines in your brain or something.

STAY IN SCHOOL!

25. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

thats really great advice. thanks.