GUN I'm down with the Sig-ness

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by beetle, Jun 15, 2009.

1. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

Relatively new gun owner here (less than 2 months since I bought my first gun). First purchase was an XD which I've been using at the range. In total, maybe 6-7 trips, shoot about 100 rounds each time. So far pretty happy with the improvement.

After about a month shooting the XD, I decided to add another. I got a good deal on a new Sig 226. It finally was released from California lockup on friday.

Today I go to the range to give her a try. First up is the XD that I've been practicing with:

(at 10 yards)
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking to myself, "hey not bad, almost all of the shots in the black rings". That one way off is the first shot, which I tend to screw up on because of the long trigger pull for the first shot.

Then I switch to the new Sig. I could only get 8 rounds into the magazine because it doesn't come with a mag loader like the XD, plus the mags were all brand new so the springs were crazy stiff. Taped a printed target on top of the old one.

Get into shooting position, notice the gun feels really nice in the hand. I like the extra width of the grip. Targeting is a bit easier because of the fiber optic front sights.

Then I noticed something different while shooting. Somehow my perspective changed. When I fired, I could see muzzle flash and bits of paper then flying out from the target. I never noticed this before when shooting the XD.

Brought the target back, and am totally amazed to see the results.

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've ever gotten the majority of the shots into a touching group.

Now I understand. Got Sig? :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

2. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

Nice man. Sig crew holla :h5:

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

wait what?

isn't XD = same trigger pull every time?

4. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

The first pull is different. It feels longer, and then after the reset each subsequent pull is shorter.

I'm not all up to the mechanics of the gun, but here's what it said about the initial XD pull

"The initial trigger travel releases the trigger safety and pretravel before engaging the Sear"

5. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

I'm glad there are more Sig guys showing up...there is a lot of Glock love on this forum (not putting Glocks down or anything)

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

While I will not discount that I find SIGs among the easier guns to shoot well, and I would suspect them capable of better inherent accuracy than the XD, I would guess you did better more due to the FO sight holding your focus better than the XD sights.

7. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

sold my sig for a glock.