I'm disappointed in what the Apple TV has to offer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dorian Gray, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

I posted this in the main forum, but it didn't get much discussion. will try again here:

I was hoping that Apple would introduce a full-fledged media center PC, but instead they made an iTunes Slingbox.

I currently have a Media Center PC running MCE 2005. It does everything I want to, but it has the flakiness, instability, and slowness that all windows products have. I was hoping for an Apple replacement. Here's how Apple messed up:

1. It can't play ripped DVDs. The only way around this is to convert your ripped DVDs into .mov or .mp4. But from what I've read and experimented with, you can only have stereo and mono with those two formats, so therefore no 5.1 sound.

2. No 1080p. I know almost no consumers have 1080p TVs, but the fact that my Mac Mini with an integrated graphics card can run full 1080p h.264 movies flawlessly, this should be able to as well.

3. Even though it's 720p, there is no content from the iTunes store above 480p. I personally wouldn't buy any movies from iTunes anyway, but even if I did, my only options are 480p and stereo sound. Why does the unit support 720p? Is it just for trailers?

4. No DVD player. If I'm going to add a media center PC to my TV, it should do everything, including DVDs. I should be able to replace my DVd player with this.

5. no TV tuner or DVR. I realize Apple makes money selling shows on iTunes. However, for people like me, I will never buy a show on iTunes. I will always have cable and a DVR. If Apple had included this, it would be a better media center. At the very least, they should provide an API that allows 3rd party companies (like the eyeTV) to write a plugint hat allows you to hook up an external HDTV tuner, and access it from the interface.

6. No gigabit ethernet. The connection is only 10/100. WTF? This is 2007, everything should be gigabit. They just released a new wireless-N router with the same problem - all the lan ports are 10/100 only. so if you have a gigabit network, you need the airport base station plus an additional gigabit switch. Lame.

This is why I think the Apple TV will be a flop. sure, it will sell a lot at first because it's an Apple product, but they really dropped the ball by not making it a full-fledged media center PC.

The iPhone looks awesome though. I was considering buying a BlackJack, but will now wait and get an iPhone.

2. ChowYunSkinny

ChowYunSkinny You no help me now...I say **** you Jobu. I do it

I think that they're both gonna flop.

I have been looking at the stuff coming out of CES and I think that the SlingCatcher and the new XBox360 with a bigger hard drive, HDMI, and IPTV capability is better than the Apple TV and offer a lot more versatility.

As for the iPhone, it is very cool, but not very usable. If they would have debuted an iPod that was exactly the same but minus the cell phone/smart phone stuff, I probably would have purchased one, but I would have had a hard time justifying its usefulness over a much cheaper PSP that would do the same things(audio, video, games, and wifi) and have better storage options.

3. slfmade

slfmade New Member

i too was going to buy a blackjack and am going to hold out for the iphone.

on the itv, i see exactly what youre saying but i think that apple was looking to try and make it more towards people that would not usually run something such as that, they dont want to replace DVR's which you can get for an extra $5/month from most cable providers, they want to create a new niche, the DVR capability would just increase the cost and give people less reason to buy it. they wanted to keep the cost low and get as much stuff as they could while not making it too similar to other such electronics. if you want a high end home theater system with 1080p you are most likely looking for a high end dvr/brain system. something like that is going to cost a lot more than $300, thats just my interpretation on the apple iTV, dont know if its true or not

4. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

you need to realize that that was not the intent of the tv box though.. it was intended as a wireless music/video server... not a home theater computer... wait till you see what is in the works... lets just say that a certain company is finalizing some deals with apple for tv tuner cards that will fit in a mac mini.... just wait... ill give it 2-3 months...

5. slfmade

slfmade New Member

yeah, if i was going to do a home theater system and felt compelled to use a mac product i would use the mac mini, not the iTV, the mac mini is a far superior and capable choice

6. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:werd:

i want one, but i dont care about it being a cell phone. it would also be nice if the OS was open so people could write software for it.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

no 5.1 ftl, that will be the reason i don't buy one.