I'm creating websites for local business, how should I host them?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Well I'm planning on starting a business where I create/manage/host websites for locals and specifically businesses. I had a dedicated server a long time ago from ev1/rackshack/the planet what ever it is called now but I'm not very good at server management. I would like to have my own server but like all the security and updates taken care of for me. Where should I rent such a server for a decent price?

Or should I just get a business hosting plan that allows unlimited domains or something?

Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, depends what you need. Can't beat a dedi box if you can manage it. You can always pay someone to manage it for you (security updates and basic stuff can be done with "managed" plans as little as $50/month).

If that's not your bag, then you could start with a reseller account with another host, such as dreamhost.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Ok I was trying to reply to this thread for like hours last night, stupid ISP.

Currently I'm hosted by 1and1.com and I was looking at their servers. I saw they have $99 managed servers:
    https://order.1and1.com/xml/order/ServerManaged;jsessionid=F02F66584C8C219F17EAC6D613D43170.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

But for $119 they also have Windows servers:
    https://order.1and1.com/xml/order/ServerWindows;jsessionid=F02F66584C8C219F17EAC6D613D43170.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

I'm very familiar with Windows and Windows Server 2003, however not from the command line.

I'm not sure what the big difference would be between the managed and the windows server, they are the same specs... Any input? "Remote Console" listed for the Windows server means command line right? Not like remote desktop?

Also, how many sites do you think these can safely host? They will be small businesses probably only a few hundred visitors per day max.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you know 1&1 is uber-shitty. why would you even consider using them for a dedi?

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

What is wrong with them? I have been with them since they were in BETA in the U.S. and I have not had a single problem, easily the best host I've ever had, out of several.

Who do you recomend?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

holy shit they're bad :rofl:

for a dedi? reasonable price? probably the planet.

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

So you offer no reason behind your statements then? Anybody else want to read/answer my posts?

Thanks.

8. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I use theplanet and would recommend them to anyone.

They have service plans if you are not able to manage your own server.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Jolly is right, 1and1 = POS.

If you want low overhead, get a dreamhost account then eventually move into a managed server