I'm confused is this raid 0?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cleankutazn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

Do I need to reinstall vista for this and can I do this on any vista computer? I also thought I needed a raid controller to do this?:dunno:

A striped volume is when you take at least two hard drives that are the exact speed and size and use them as one virtual hard drive. When you save a file to a striped volume your computer saves half of the file on one hard drive and the other half on the other hard drive at the same time. When your computer reads the file it reads from both hard drives at the same time.
    A striped volume at least doubles your computer’s hard drive throughput to the striped volume because it’s reading and writing two hard drives at the same time.
    A striped volume is great for people who want more speed when playing games, and editing video, pictures, or music. Striped volumes are commonly found in high end gaming computers and servers.
    This guide shows you how to take two hard drives that are the exact same size and speed and create a new striped volume out of them in Windows Vista. This striped volume will be in addition to the volume Windows Vista’s installed on.
    Create a Striped Volume
    1. Install two hard drives that are exactly the same in your computer (in addition to the hard drive Windows Vista’s running on).
    2. Right-click Computer in the Start Menu and then select Manage.
    3. Click Disk Management in the left column.
    4. The two new hard drives should show up in Disk Management. Right-click the first one and then select New Striped Volume.
    5. The New Striped Volume Wizard will open. Click Next.
    6. Select the available disks (the two you just installed) in the Select Disks page and then click Add to add them to the striped volume.
    7. Set the amount of space to use on the stripped volume and then click Next.
    8. Give the volume a drive letter and then click Next.
    9. Select the formatting options you’d like (use NTFS) and then click Next.
    10. Click Finish on the summary page to create the new striped volume.
    Using the Striped Volume

Once the striped volume is created it’ll show up as the E: drive for example. If you want to run games off of the new striped volume create a folder called games on the E: drive and chose that folder as the installation path when installing games.
    You could also use this volume to store video, music, or pictures you’re editing.
    A striped volume is also great for holding databases and web sites on a web server.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Yes thats RAID 0. Windows has been able to do some levels of software RAID for quite some time now.

I dont recommend software RAID in most cases and definitely not software RAID 0.

3. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

What's wrong with software raid? Would there be any performance increase even with software raid 0?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

No it's not RAID.

RAID is Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks

And level 0 is clearly NOT redundant.

5. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

What is it then?

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

just avoid raid 0, especially if it's a software raid

raid 0 is just a stripe. it writes data from one disk to the other, to attempt to be speedy.

your better off getting a drive with 32mb cache

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I call it FAID0 because all the box-readers don't know any better.

Really it's just striping.

8. cleankutazn

cleankutazn New Member

I heard seagate is trying to come out with a 256mb cache HD.

9. Chris

Chris New Member

considering 32mb cache drives just recently hit the market I see this being a long way off