A&P I'm calling on the power of OT for guidance!!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Mar 29, 2006.

1. This guy is selling a 70-200 f2.8 L IS for $1500 :eek3:

says it's brand new, he just got it and his wife is making him get rid of it.

should I go for it?

now he listed the price as 1475 cash and carry if I go to NJ :eek3:

2. good deal? scam? should I turn around and run away?? :hs: :wtc:

3. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

if you're willing to pick it up, look at it in person and test it out with your cam :dunno:

4. MrGone

MrGone New Member

wait, so will you be doing the transaction in person? If so I wouldn't be so concerned. If it's online, not sure :sad2: but if you can swing the money for a brand new one it never hurts :hs:

5. Yea but i just bought my camera, as a matter of a fact it's not even here yet, although, i did recieve confirmation that it should be arriving sometime before friday. So needless to say I still have that bill hanging over my head, I think paying another $2,000 for a brand new lens one would hurt me right now. Although I have already almost paid off my new cam :big grin: But ya know, like everyone else.. I do have other bills. :(

6. I just looked at the map and he lives 2.5 hours away. I'm thinking with gas and tolls It'd cost almost $100 just to pick up the lens. And also I don't even have my camera yet. Maybe I could ask to use his to test the lens once I got there but I donno.

I know you guys have been in the SLR arena longer than myself. is 1500 a good price?

7. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

New it's like $1600 + tax at B&H right? If he just got it I think it's a great deal. If you're unsure about it go in person and check it out. Used "L" lenses hold their value. Look at Ebay and see what they're going for.

If you don't pick it up send me some info on the seller and maybe I'll pick it up.

8. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

9. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

$1450-1500 is the going priced for a used 2.8L IS. Yeah, it's $1600 new but Canon L lenses hold easily 90% of their value.

Personally, I'm waiting for April rebates, which should be good for ~ $100 on the 70-200 f/2.8 non IS and IS.

I was going to get an IS but after reading all the issues with the lock up problems, I'm going with the non IS.

10. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

yeah screw IS and save the money. you can get yourself halfway to the 135 L if you need an extra stop there or you could buy the 85 f/1.8 with the money saved

11. Derrict

I'm going to turn myself into a pro collegiate female volleyball photographer, post a bunch of ass shots on fredmiranda.com, and call it a day. 85 won't be enough zoom :naughty:

I'll test out the 700-200 f/2.8 non IS and see how it does. If it doesn't cut it, then I'll shell out the dough for the 135 f/2.0 L :bigthumb:

If I got the 85 f/1.8, I probably wouldn't use it much.

12. I'm seeing $1,699 + shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...444&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

13. Derrict

14. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

dats expensive nigga

i got a 70-200 vr for 1250

15. Derrict

16. isn't the tax rate 8.374 in NY?? :ugh: That would be $134 in tax if I got that lens at the store?!?!!???

If I buy online do I still have to pay sales tax if I live in a tax free state?? :naughty: Living in Delaware FTW :bigthumb:

17. Derrict

You only get charged tax if they have a store/warehouse in the state you are shipping to. In this case, no tax.

18. :bowdown: :coold:

19. now the question is should I splurge the extra 100+ shipping for a NEW lens from a known good distributor

or

save a couple bucks and buy used from someone woudl could potentially be rippign me off... :hs:

20. Derrict

Most on fm are reliable but for only $100 savings, it's not worth it if I was doing it.

21. MrGone

MrGone New Member