i'm buying my first porter cable, recommend me some things

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by operationrob, Oct 14, 2007.

1. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

i'm buying this kit, http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

is there anything else i should buy along with it such as waxes or polishes? i had a black car and want it to look VERY shiny and wet. i'm also going to get the stuff to get wax off the trim.
    also, can you reuse the foam pads?
    thanks.

2. Untow Bo

Untow Bo New Member

Wow, that's a helluva kit. Those polishes and pads included will get you started just fine. Have a look at Autogeek's wax and sealant selection and order up something you like. The Poliseal that comes with the kit will be fine for now, but have a look at their car wax and Optiseal products, too.

Yes, you can reuse pads. Wash by hand in the sink with a few drops of diswashing liquid, spin dry on your buffer and let air dry overnight.

If you don't have any, consider more microfiber towels. You can't have too many. Wash separately in warm water and air dry.

Very shiny + very wet paint = very long hours busting your ass on the car. Polishers help with the workload but there are no shortcuts. You will put in many long hours polishing the paint to perfection long before you'll need to worry about waxing.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

clearkote's carnauba moose is great. I also like Natty's Red on dark cars.

edit: you won't be dissapointed with the OPT products either.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agreed. I'd add that to your order to use as your LSP (last step product)-works well over Poli-Seal. Makes black look very deep and wet. Honestly, I use it a lot more than my $70 jar of Pinnacle Souveran.

I agree about the MF towels too, you can never have too many...although with a little over 200, I may be testing that theory! If you have a Target in your area, I'd pick up a couple dozen of the orange 16 x 16 Vroom MF's they sell in automotive. Last time I was there, they were on sale @ 8 for $5.99.

5. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

:cool: good advice, thanks guys. i'm used to busting my ass trying to make my car shine, but i want to get rid of the swirls now and use some good waxes/polishes. also, i remember when microfiber towels used to be really expensive, i'll have to check out target now.

6. quamen

quamen New Member

learn to use a rotary, those pc buffers are not that great.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

QFT, at least get the UDM. As much as I hate giving DavidB money its mucho better than the PC.

8. Scottwax

In the hands of a noob, a PC is a better idea than a rotary. Plus, if he ever learns to use a rotary in the future, he still has the PC to finish out with.

9. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Doesn't rotary just get the job done faster?

10. Scottwax

Mostly, but in the right hands, it can leave a better finish (to a degree) because it breaks down polishes completely. The Cyclo and UDM also leave a better finish than the PC for the same reason.

Still, if you are patient, you will get far better results via PC than by hand.

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

My thoughts too.

The rotary take so much time to learn. If you are just doing your own car, get the PC. You will only use it 3-4 times a year for correction and you can wax you car in less than 15 minutes every weekend!

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Speaking fo teh UDM, anyone seen Megs new Machine?

Its basicly a UDM with a loop handle like the griots polisher. Im tempted to get a UDM.