I'm buying a laptop!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Oct 10, 2005.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The choice I've presented myself with, though, is a tough one. Do I get:

- A tiny laptop with a touchscreen and the ability to fold the screen like a tablet, but no built-in DVD reader;

- A slightly larger laptop with a normal screen that doesn't fold like a tablet, but it DOES have a DVD reader;

- An even larger laptop (bigger than a sheet of paper - for shame!) that has the best of both worlds, but it's obviously heavier.

I need help with this one. The tiny convertible tablet is spiffy but somewhat impractical, since I'd need to buy an external DVD reader. The slightly bigger one is a more pedestrian machine, but it's more practical. The biggest of the three has everything I'm looking for except for the light weight and miniscule size. Has anybody got any experiences to share regarding these features and what I'll miss the most if I choose the wrong machine?

2. 01000101

01000101 New Member

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

ive got a "compact" laptop. there are also "ultra portable" which are smaller, and "desktop replacements (dtrs)" that are larger. the smaller laptops have smaller than normal keyboards, and would be annoying (imo) to use for long periods of time. as for the dtrs, i dont need to replace my desktop, and im certainly not going to try and carry 9+ lbs of computer around all day.

3. deusexaethera

I have no intention of replacing my desktop either. My primary concern is to get a laptop to do stuff on when I can't get to my desktop and to carry as little weight as is practical. As such, the desktop replacements you mentioned are out of the question; not like any laptop could replace a desktop, seeing how it's a HUGE pain in the ass to upgrade a lappy.

My guidepost for size is a sheet of 8.5"x11" paper. The smaller two laptops fit inside those dimensions and the third one doesn't. But the smaller two laptops involve tradeoffs in other ways. So, to make the question more clear, which would bug me the most:

- No built-in optical drive;

- No tablet functionality (useful in a business setting);

- 4 pounds of weight NOT including the power cord?

Or rather, which would bug YOU the most?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Really depends what you want to use it for. The only thing I would ever use a laptop for is to take notes at school. However, I wouldn't be able to take notes on it unless it was a tablet (since I need the ability to write out equations and such quickly). However, if you actually have some need for a DVD drive in your laptop, then a tablet probably won't do it for you.

5. deusexaethera

The DVD drive would be for playing games or watching movies when I'm away from home, which is fairly regularly. At the same time, my work involves writing a lot of stuff on whiteboards, and being able to scribble it down digitally would be a big help. But it would also be nice if it were light.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Perhaps rather than buying a tablet with a DVD drive, which would be a big heavy machine, you should just buy a regular Tablet (I like the 10" HP one or the IBM one myself) for work, and then buy a portable DVD player (which are super cheap these days) for watching DVDs. Or, buy a small external hard drive, rip your DVDs on to it, and plug it into your Tablet when you want to watch a movie. Overall, it sounds like for what you actually need, a small tablet would be pretty ideal, so it's probably best to focus on that and come up with an alternate solution for DVD watching.