I'm boring and monotoned

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by DC9, Dec 11, 2009.

1. DC9

DC9 New Member

I'm very good looking, funny, nice, easy to get along with, good body/in shape, etc but what always fucks me is I'm extremely monotoned and that just makes me seem so boring. Everytime I meet a girl the same thing happens. She's attracted to me and we hang for a couple weeks, and she realizes how boring I am and just loses interest. I can't change the way I talk, it's just how I always talked, but it's the reason why i suck with women. Anyone else like this and know how to fix it? Because I'm monotoned I tend not to be as expressive either when I talk, I'm just fucking boring.

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Change. Become more expressive and more vibrant.
    Everyone is capable of change, if they want it bad enough.

3. DC9

DC9 New Member

I understand I have to change, but I don't know how to. You say become more expressive and vibrant, but it's not as easy as switching a switch.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You sound like me. You're probably super smart, too, amirite?

I used to be a corporate trainer and some people complained that I was a bit monotonous and that I sounded bored (not that I was boring, but they all thought I was bored while I was teaching). It totally wasn't the case, I was usually having a good time, I just wasn't a fucking cheerleader which is what people are used to and want to hear.

So I decided to make myself "more vibrant" or whatever. I thought I sounded like a fucking moron but people's opinions changed for the better.

Cliffs:
    - Sell yourself out and change who you are to appease the masses :rofl:

lol j/k.

It's also possible that you're just not dating the right people. Dude, some women are really fucking fickle, like a 4 year old with ADD, and it's not just YOU that can't keep their interest, it's everyone. These woman usually have a history of 2-4 week relationships before they "get bored."

Practice over-emphasizing the dynamics in your voice when you're alone. Like, really overdo it, the way a standup comic would. Once you get used to how this sounds, then when you only do it up a little bit it won't sound so weird to you and won't throw you out of your frame because you won't be thinking "lol I sound weird."

Record yourself talking and play it back. What YOU think sounds "normal" while you're saying it will probably sound monotone when you play it back. What YOU think sounds "overdone" when you're recording it will probably sound "interesting and normal" when you play it back.

Take an acting class. Work with a voice coach. Shit, take an improv class. They can be fun as hell and you can work on your voice intonations and it won't even matter if you overdo it because you're acting and it's supposed to be funny. It may help you feel a lot more comfortable with talking in different ways.

Dude, even now that I've been out of the corporate world for a while, I've kind of lost my "presentation voice" and I resort back to being monotone unless I really work at it. I know exactly what you're describing.

5. giz

giz Active Member

talk to yourself and focus on infusing emotion in your words. talk out loud, to yourself.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's why I said he should record himself talking. It's easy to misinterpret how you sound to yourself because you know how you feel. I never thought I sounded monotoned AT ALL until I recorded myself.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

How are you funny....but boring??

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Maybe he's a British comedy :bowrofl:

9. giz

giz Active Member

:rofl:

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Or you could "shadow" someone. It's a foreign language learning technique.

Identify a speaker you think is cool sounding and write down what they say. Then, play back their speech while reading it along with them, trying to mimic their intonation and everything. Naturally it will be more effective the the speaker's natural range is close to yours. So like Barry White probably wouldn't be a good choice for most people.

This is an exceptionally powerful technique for learning to pronounce a foreign language correctly (which explains why you never see it in high school or college, because school foreign language programs suck; How else could someone study a language (not including Korean) for 8 years (all through high school and college) and still not be able to hold a conversation at the end??????)

11. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Wow.

Try not waiting a couple of weeks before making a move on a girl who's attracted to you. Even with the world's most modulated voice that is boring.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Oops, I assumed that DC9 was actually escalating and kissing/having sex with these women.

Perhaps my advice was aimed at the wrong problem.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

IWYWB, are you confusing voice tonality with monotony?

15. JohnJohnJohnson

what's voice tonality? a monotone is when your pitch doesn't change.

16. giz

giz Active Member

monotone is unvaried tonality :hsugh:

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

By "tonality" I meant the tone (not pitch) of voice. Think of an old radio that doesn't have a graphic EQ but has a "tone" knob. It doesn't change the pitch of the music but it changes the sound quality of it. Or on an electric guitar, below the volume knob there's usually a "tone" knob. It doesn't change the pitch of the instrument, just the tone of the signal that is being sent to the amp.

Maybe "voice quality" would have been a better term? Think of Kermit the frog. He has a funny sounding voice. So did Will Ferrell in that clip that was posted. I don't think DC9's issue is that he has a funny sounding voice. I think he is talking about having a monotone voice.

18. JohnJohnJohnson

nowiknow

19. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Maybe you could try imitating someone else just like Falconer suggested. Hopefully after listening closely to someone else and hearing the changes in their voice and inflection you can figure out how to change the way you speak to better convey your messages.

I'm really really curious what you sound like, I think you should make a video of you talking.

20. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Sure you can. :dunno: As long as you believe you can't, though, you won't.

21. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

You might not want to, but you surely can if you want to.

My voice is one of the biggest areas of improvement im working on right now. Sometimes its a bit pinched and gets a little to high for my liking when im excited :mamoru:

working on it every day. I'll get there. You can change if you want to.

22. giz

giz Active Member

do you really think these girls are dumping you after a couple weeks because of your voice? :hsugh:

23. iwishyouwerebeer

If you are actually good looking, in shape AND funny, girls aren't going to give a flying fuck if you sound like
    [​IMG]

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Am I the only one who disqualifies someone for having an annoying voice?

Shit, you have to talk to them for your ENTIRE RELATIONSHIP. You better like their voice.

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Like that assistant chick (can't remember her name) on Parks and Recreation who is always super unenthusiastic about everything. Dating someone like her would get annoying, RIGHT??