GUN I'm bored. want to shop. buy a mn?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm bored, want to buy something gun related, relatively cheap...thinking about a mn 91/30. Will I have buyers remorse? :big grin:

(i've already sold all my milsurp except my k31s)

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

No, but it will likely sit in your safe for all eternity after you shoot it once, until one day you decide to do something stupid like build a lamp out of it.

That's my experience, anyways.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Lol yeah I have a feeling that its the sort of thing that would either wind up on the wall or just like left in the car :big grin:

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You shoot on public ranges, or private property?

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

public ranges, it makes me sad. Hopefully that will change in the future :big grin:

6. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Jas0n's MarionBerry: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

For 125 or so, you might as well pick one up.

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I'm still looking for something to do this with, more interesting than a wall hanger:hsd:

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Why?

It's a robust design that still has cheap, abundant ammo available and is accurate enough to hone your skills with. I don't see why it would spend much time in a safe or be turned into a lamp.

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It's good enough to take down any bear in this country.

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, sure. I don't really shoot mine much but I don't regret owning them.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Weeeeelllll....... Mine didn't/hasn't turned out too well. To be fair, me and a buddy were all kinds of fucking hammered when wew started the project, and ended up playing lawn darts with the rifle/bayonet instead about midway through. Need a 91/30 to really pull it off, the carbines are too short to work as a floor model, and too long for a table top lamp. Gonna have tot build some kind of base for mine to add height.

It is cheap, but that's not a saving grace with me. My 22 are cheaper yet, and I can practice better with them. I actually even enjoy them more.

I'm not interested in debating the merits of a fucking Mosin Nagant... It is what it is. It shoots, and for some people that is more than enough - I am not one of those people. I'm also not the only one.

12. I didn't want to be the first to say it, but this is exactly my feeling about them too.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Something along the lines of if you have a nice car in the driveway you won't drive the omni much? :big grin:

I think I might let the urge pass for today. Aim is out of stock and I really like to buy from them, maybe when they're back in the urge will strike again.

I filled my urge today with a magpul trigger guard and some shoping toward my next ar instead. I wish I felt like magpul's acs stock might be available sometime in the next few years for sure.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've been thinking about buying a Mosin-Nagant for a few years now. Somehow the urge never gets strong enough to actually buy one.

I felt the same way about getting an SKS right at the end of their wide availability at sub-$200 prices, only I already had an AK for cheap rifle blasting at the time.

It's always been one of those "later" things ... like that someday when I have a big pile of cash and have gotten through the big wishlist of other items and I'm still feeling pretty flush with excess greenbacks.

15. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I bring mine with me almost every time I go to the range. It's practically the only gun other than a .22 that I can enjoy shooting without thinking about how poor I am. If I'm shooting my Sig, all I can think of is that every mag I empty is costing me several dollars. The Mosin, I can shoot it all afternoon and spend no more on ammo than I would have spent on lunch on my way home from the range.

16. bobotech

bobotech New Member

This^^

17. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Touchy :ugh:

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Gun elitism, serious business

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

:roflw:

20. Is it really elitist to recognize that the ONLY thing the mosin has going for it is that it's dirt cheap? Really, other than being cheap what can it do better than any average gun?

21. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Cheap can be good, especially for a large rifle caliber. I take mine everytime we go down to the farm. Big boom, big hole, without having to spend a lot per round to do it.

Granted, it's mostly a kick around gun for shits & giggles, but there isn't anything wrong with it, IMO.

22. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Surprise people in the next shooting lane with a large fireball :coold:

23. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

What do you consider an average gun?

What kind of hunk of shit could Remington sell you for $89? Even twice that at $178? How about you double that still? You'd possibly get a rifle that the bolt stop will break when a bear is charging you.

Mosins are capable rifles and they don't cost much. Yes, the scope mounting options are limited and yes they are quite basic but that's what makes them good. For less than $100 you can have a rifle that will shoot fine for everything but competition.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  24. An "average" gun is just what you see when you go to a rifle range. Nothing fancy or special. Not some crazy wildcat cartridge, something in .308 or .223 or .30-06. There's no absolute definition of an "average" gun, but I'm saying that there's nothing the mosin does that's special, other than cost very little money.

I really don't care what kind of crap Remington could sell me for $89 because I'm more than willing to spend more for something quality. I don't base my purchase decisions on simply what's the cheapest gun I can get. And for the money I do spend on a Remington, I get a shitload more quality and refinement than some old mosin.

The idea of what's "fine" for anything but competition is so subjective that there's little point in discussing it. I'll just say that I wouldn't find a mosin "fine" for much of anything.

Feel free to call me an elitist if it makes you feel better. I don't think that raising valid points about why a particular gun is kind of pointless makes one an elitist.

25. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

7.62x54R isn't exactly some crazy wildcat cartridge and you can buy it in crates still.

The thread wasn't about how much better a Remington or Savage rifle is compared to a Mosin. You and phrozen seem to think because it's not some tactical rifle that it's only good as a lamp or some nonsense like that. You likened the idea of buyer's remorse with the fact that it's not an expensive rifle.

It puts bullets out the right end, ammunition is available and powerful enough to hunt with, plus the rifles are cheap. Sounds like a rifle great for many things but I wouldn't try and do long-range precision shooting with one either. Your idea of fine seems to be a pricey rifle setup, which is obviously not what the thread was about. You two came in here and started talking about how it's useless because it's not expensive.

I wouldn't really say it's an elitist view because it's a matter of opinion but I would venture to say it's a narrow minded one.

For the record, I've got an acceptable rifle by your standards too, two of them in fact chambered in .308 and they both come to the range with me. I will comment that if you never see a Mosin Nagant at a range, you're going to some strange places.