GUN I'm bet in almost every other state nobody would have cared

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by lobstradomus, Nov 23, 2009.

1. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Link to article here: http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_13831318

I hate these God damn liberal anti-gun CA hippies constantly overreacting and overstepping their limited power.

2. elgranto

elgranto New Member

fuck I do this all the time. And I am in Canada.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That sucks, especially since he really wasn't even on school property. In Texas he could have parked in the school parking lot and it would be legal.

4. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Maybe, maybe not. Back in 1999 or so I got pulled over for speeding. There wasn't a shoulder on the road so I pulled over onto the street that leads into the highschool. I used to keep a novelty brass knuckle/belt buckle in my car. Cop found it and I got arrested for having a weapon on school grounds. I'm sure if it was a firearm they would have been a lot more pissed than they were.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

WTF search?

I'd like to know the reasonable suspicion for having his vehicle sniffed in the first place if he was parked on a public street.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I read the updated CHL statutes last week and apparently when they refer to "premises" they talk specifically about inside a building or part of a building. They state that a sidewalk or parking lot is not considered premises.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/relatedlaws.htm

Taken from the CHL statues PDF on the TxDPS site, Page 46, 46.035 "Unlawful carrying of handgun by license holder", referring to paragraph (f)(3) on page 47:

This may not be the same for a long gun in someone's car, but in Texas of course a vehicle is looked at as an extension of your private residence.

7. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Oh, I know they talked about that a good bit in my CHL class. In my situation I was searched illegally and arrested on charges that couldn't hold water. It all ended up getting dropped, and if it happened now (instead of when I was a naive 17 year old) I would raise a stink about it. My point was that cops are going to do what they want anyway

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It sucks that you got dragged through the mud but it's good that it was dropped.

Unfortunately if a cop wants to dick you around, you're right they'll do it.

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

This is similar to the information I was told during my CCW class in Ohio :wiggle:

10. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Prob would have happened at any school to be honest, because schools are just a bunch of liberal fucktards now

11. Willie J

Willie J New Member

im not to sure about this. when i was in highschool a friend of mine was found to have a box of shells in his truck bed. he was suspended and then had to go to a correctional school for 3 months before he could return to our school.

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Same, except he had a machete and was suspended indefinite

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

School policies can and do differ from state, local, etc.

It's not surprising that they did this but I do also feel schools go far beyond what their reach should be to discipline students. Kids getting suspended, etc for things outside of school property and functions is bullshit.

14. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

We just adopted the Castle Doctrine here and with it all the benefits like your automobile being an extension of your home. I remember before I got my CHL, it was legal for me to drive to and from the range with a pistol in my car but if I stopped anywhere including to get gas I was breaking the law. Of course now I get my CHL and anyone legally allowed can have a pistol in their car in Texas. :big grin:

15. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Before Sept. 08 is was legal to "carry" in your car if you were "traveling". The problem was that they didn't define what traveling was, so there was a good chance that you would get arrested if you had a pistol in your console/glove box/etc.

Doesn't matter at all now though :o

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

No shit. It would only take two or three more steps beyond this to get to the point where they expel a kid because his parent has a gun at home and he might access it if he happened to get picked on or disciplined at school.

What legal ground do they really think they have to search a car OFF school property? Because it belongs to a student? What if it wasn't parked on a public lot or street? What if it was parked at a friends house that lives right next to the school?

Get'em used to having their rights violated early, I says.

17. frog_a_lot

frog_a_lot New Member

Lol, over here in Australia he would be in jail for having a shotgun in his car, and in double the trouble because he is under 18, He would be in trouble for having the knife there as well, and his parents would prob be in trouble as well because he is under 18.

And no im not joking

18. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

When my dad was in high school, they used to carry their shotguns or rifles on the school bus to go hunting after class. :dunno:

19. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I would imagine if the parents wish to take this to court that they will win. The school's jurisdiction certainly does not reach beyond school property. Some school boards make really idiotic decisions.

20. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Man, and your country used to be so cool. :wtc:

21. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

lol, my chem teacher let us play with gasoline and make moonshine.

It seems that there was likely a mistake on his part. He probably admitted to having guns, had them clearly visible, or opened his truck for them to see them. Best choice would be to tell them to get a warrant and fuck off.