SRS I'm Back!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bean, May 19, 2005.

1. Bean

Bean Guest

Sorry for the delay in my responses, first I went away for a weekend (to a womens 12 step retreat), then was busy the past two weeks with my personal life. Lots of stuff going on...some of it is okay, some of it isn't okay. The not okay parts bring up triggers for me, and I'm really wanting to use H again (24 days today), but I'm managing it. Went to a bunch of meetings during the retreat, and I've been averaging two meetings a week since. I hope to keep it up.

It's good to be back though, I'm holding strong for the most part.

2. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

Great you're back - GO TO MORE MEETINGS!!!

Have you tried NA meetings yet? That's great that you went to a retreat, you get a lot of recovery and hear a lot of stories in a short amount of time.

Hopefully you've found yourself a sponsor who can explain some of the things your body is going through. At 24 days you are still detoxing, it takes a while.

Keep coming back and checking in! We love success stories.

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

:cool:

4. Bean

Bean Guest

I haven't been to any NA meetings yet, but I plan on it!

Still lookin for a sponsor though.

5. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

glad you keep checking in - right on!!

na.org for meeting schedules in your area

have to go to meetings to find the sponsor, lol, you'll find someone, listen to the message and you'll find someone you click with. in the meantime, use your phone lists and try and call at least one person a day (usually tell people to call 3, but start with one, if they don't answer, call someone else), and at least leave a message, even if its just to say you're checking in and ask them to call you back.

keep coming back.

6. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Glad that you are back! Now stay! (Please?).
    Hope you have found your way to NA.
    As my great-grandsponsor used to say "don't anquish too long on finding 'the right sponsor'. No one can screw up your life any better than you can/did". :)

You used a word - "trigger". I'd like to share with you my thoughts on triggers and (hopefully) back up why I believe what I believe.

Triggers are self-made. They are an attempt to excuse my mistakes by blaming other people & situations. They are reservations. They are me saying "if Y happens, I'll use again. I always do." When I was "out there", I used. I used when there were reasons (triggers) & when there were no reasons to. I used when I wanted and used when I didn't want to. "I was POWERLESS" (emphasis on "powerless").

Once I got into recovery, I learned that I can no longer blame others for my addiction and problems. I also learned that I can stay clean no matter what happens.
    Damn! No matter what??? Bye Bye "triggers". :)

I WAS powerless (emphasis on "was").
    But now I'm here and the power I lacked and the power I seek comes from a power greater than me. (But I'm wandering off topic a little now. Back to on-topic).

For me, it's an all-or-nothing thing. Either I believe in triggers and eventually find myself inventing new ones as I struggle to stay clean -- OR -- I live believing that triggers don't exist and my struggle is over. The latter has worked for me.