I'm back in the game

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PaddoK, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Backstory: was diagnosed with a minor herniated disk about 5 months ago. Hurt it spacing out on a 405 deadlift.

Got an MRI about a week ago and no sign of the herniated disk, so doctor suggested I either work through the pain or go to PT.

First time dead in 5 months was just warmup with bar then 25 per side. Following session(a week or so later) was 5x5 x135 now I'm up to almost 225 again as of tonight. I'm still in pain but it is different then before. In the past the herniated disk would push into nerves and my knee would buckle sometimes just walking around. Now, no nerve pain (yet :x: ). Just that muscle pain and my back gets tired after 5x135 as opposed to 8x365.

I'm going as slow as I can but man sometimes I really gotta restrain myself. But I feel better after each session.

I also did those things where you deadlift off the ground then go into an overhead push press. I'm forgetting the name but it was good.

Anyway, just happy to be back lifting, and not just limited to upper body and leg machines.

My advice to anyone out on injury, just keep looking forward to when you're back in the game. :cool: it's a good feeling.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

careful, sounds like a situation that could go bad real fast. good luck

3. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Could you elaborate on what you did wrong spacing out the 405 to herniate it? Also what did you do to help it heal? Just wait 5 months?

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

listen to your body and good luck with the recovery!

5. bear

bear frankly rover i dont give a "woof

When you hurt your back could you describe it? When I hurt mine, I felt and heard my lower back crack really bad. I couldn't move at all for while.

6. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I'm pretty sure it was a combo of factors. I had just come back from vacation and was a little too eager, too soon, and too tired. the trifecta. I don't recall hearing anything but just a sharp pain in my lower back that shot down into my knee. Plus also I remeber taking a wide stance on it for some reason.

From then on not only was I in a bunch of pain, but any time I would squat or deadlift or do anythign that used my back really that nerve pain would come back. Then it would be bad pain for the next couple of days.

Pretty much everything I've done up until recently didn't work for my disk. Everything aggrivated it. Eventually, I was able to start doing hyperextensions and ab work which started to rebuild a lot of the core stability that I had lost w/ 4 months of no leg ab core stuff.

Now my plan is just to take it slow and do what I can to strengthen my back. It's always a little painful after the lifting day, but I feel better the next morning and my back hurts a little less after each gym visit.

7. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

If it just seems like muscle pain, and the doc has checked you alright, maybe you should do some reverse hyp work instead of pulling already?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.