I'm at a plateau in my weight loss - v.HELP

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

I've been on a very strict diet and excercise program for the past 3 months or so and it has really paid off, i've dropped 30 pounds of all fat and i'm really starting to look great now and put on a lot of muscle.

Now the problem is for some reason my weight loss has just plateaued and will not go any lower no matter what I do. I'm at 196 right now (down from about 235) and I just CANNOT go lower than 196.

I'm going to outline a typical week of my diet and exercise and you guys can tell me what you think.

My diet everyday:

Meal 1 (8:30 am): Protein shake (2 scoops)

Meal 2 (11:30 am): Tortilla melt, it's a total of 80 calories with almost no fat and about 11g of carbs (only 3 net carbs), this is pretty much my only carbs of the day. I used to eat 1/2 sweet potato instead of this tortilla melt, but I just got really sick of the sweet potato and the tortilla melt is actually less calories. Incase you're wondering, the cheese is fat free Kraft.

Meal 3 (2:30 pm): Large green salad with fat free and sodium free dressing and a protein shake (2 scoops)

Meal 4 (5:30 pm): 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs scrambled together

Meal 5 (8:30 pm): 1/2 cup of beans with 3 tablespoons of salsa mixed in with the beans for flavor, and 1/2 cup of broccoli

Meal 6 (11:30 pm): 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil and a Protein Shake (2 scoops)

I also drink a SHIT LOAD of Crystal Lite, i'm basically pissing every hour, on the hour and I also take 1 Centrum multivitamin everyday.

Also, I take about 1 or 2 shits a week. Before I was on my diet I was taking shits every single now, not i'm only taking them once or twice a week and they're rock solid, I went to Walgreens and got some Colace which helped a little but i'm scared of becoming dependant on it.

-----------------

Now here is my workout routine:

Monday: Chest and biceps + 30 minutes of cardio on the eliptical, I go for however long it takes to burn an even 500 calories, so it's usually a little over 30 minutes.

Tuesday: Eliptical until I burn 500 calories, a little over 30 minutes.

Wednesday: Leg day, no cardio

Thursday: Eliptical until I burn 500 calories, a little over 30 minutes., same as Tuesday.

Friday: Back, shoulders, and triceps + Eliptical for ~30 minutes and however long it takes to burn 500 calories

Saturday: Eliptical until I burn 500 calories, a little over 30 minutes.

Sunday: Eliptical until I burn 500 calories, a little over 30 minutes.

-------

So basically i'm going cardio 6 days a week and each time I make sure I burn at least 500 calories, so that's a total of 3,000 calories i'm burning each week JUST from cardio. Then i'm doing weights 3 times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I also mix some running in there, but running a few miles takes so little time it's not even worth mentioning in my regular routine.

I've been stuck right at 196 pounds for over a week now and I just don't get it. Why have I plateaued like this and what can I do?

If you've read this far, thanks for reading and any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

2. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

you need more weight training. 2x a week isn't enough. the more muscle you build, the more calories you'll burn just sitting still/sleeping etc.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm doing it 3x a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. What do you recommend? Should I be weight training 4 times a week?

4. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

are you still changing in inches?

are you drinking at least 64oz of water a day?

drink things that will make you have more frequent bowel movements- Apple Juice.. milk...

5. Accord

Accord New Member

What do you mean by changing in inches? Like inches around my arms/biceps?

I drink more than 64 ounces of water a day, I bring a huge water bottle with my everywhere filled with Crystal Lite.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

What about taking fiber tablets?

7. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

clothing sizes and stuff.

I stated "at least 64oz" so you seem to be ok in that area. hmm... why not just drink regular bottled water from time to time? :dunno:

8. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

I returned your pm but forgot to add, switch the beans to raw brocolli and have 1/2 cup with 3-4 meals. You will be shitting again

9. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

:werd: :o

I was about to respond with eat more veggies. (lettuce will help as well :o )

:dunno: about fiber pills. I eat at least 4 to 5 servings of veggies a day. (or at least try to)

10. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

I think i hit a plateau as well, i've been at 180 lbs for a over a month now.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

How many carbs should I be taking in on a daily basis regularly and how many on a "high carb" day to jumpstart my metabolism?

12. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

is your body changing? Like did you see a difference over the month?

13. prech

prech New Member

Definitely determine your body fat first, it's likely you've lost more fat and just gained muscle. Use a measuring tape and mybodycomp.com or a pair of calipers and monitor your progress...

Carb cycling: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

I tried this with high days of 300g+, low of 100-200g, and no of <50 for a few weeks but didn't progress much. Once you've gone so low carb/ketogenic as yourself, the first few times you consume a lot of carbs you're going to see a lot of water bloating so you may be heavier...

How tall are you at 195lbs? Maybe it's time to start bulking... I know I got psychologically tired of cutting after months and plateauing...

14. Accord

Accord New Member

Damn, 300g :eek3:. I'm a little over 5'10", not really interested in bulking at all, just trying to get very lean while gaining strength and endurance and not necessarily lot's muscle. I'm trying to get more of a "runners" body than a linebackers body, if that makes any sense.

The Marine Corps says I have to be no heavier than 174, so that's what I need to get down to, ultimately want to be right at or around 170.

15. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I was stuck at like 158-160 for over a month. :-x then I started UD2 and now I'm feeling leaner.

16. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Muscle weight growing faster than fat loss...

17. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Eat at maintenance for a week or two. Your body needs a break.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

What's eating at maintenance mean? :hs:

19. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

You mean to kickstart his metabolism?

20. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

what about composition?

21. Accord

Accord New Member

What's that?

22. prech

prech New Member

You really need to head over and spend a few moments/hours reading up @ JSF:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Maintenance means eating/maintaining a diet that's not at a caloric deficit, ie. you burn as much calories as you intake. 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories, so at JSF forums, for example, they advocate 3500/7days = 500 calories consumed less per day for 1 lb of fat loss over the course of a week. To eat at maintenance, figure out your daily calorie requirement and eat that much, rather than cutting... Sometimes your system/metabolism just needs a jumpstart/shock to alter its ways after being so 'starved' for several weeks/months...

Anyhow, no idea if maintenance will work for you, but definitely read up on JSF for fat loss tips... they have 'breaking the plateau' threads quite often and many useful people providing advice

23. prech

prech New Member

Composition is what half the posters in this thread are asking/suggesting to you...how much fat/muscle (lean body mass) is your body is comprised of, ie. percent body fat

24. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

not really

25. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

UD2? more info please :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.